All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Landlord’s insurance

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of redleavesredleaves
    @redleaves

Can anyone please recommend a Landlord insurer.
    My property manager has recommended Terri Scheer, but I'd appreciate others experience on good insurers.
    Thanks
    RL

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

TS pay property managers for referrals I hope that was disclosed in the management agreement!

In saying that, they also offer one of the best policies because they don't discount down claims by the amount of bond there is for the property. They pay the full amount of the claim and you can use the bond for other things.

Also consider whether you really need landlord's insurance? If it is managed properly and your PM has a very strict arrears control then the max amount of vacancy should be around 6 weeks that they would pay, can you afford a 6 week vacancy?

I have 9 properties and have building and public liability insurance on all but don't have lanldord's insurance on any of them!

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

If you can afford lifes hiccups then you may not need landlords insurance, but for peace of mind I would suggest getting some.

Xenia,
    Have you read my nightmare swimming pool claim?  How would you have handled this situation without landlords insurance?
    Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your PM is problems can occur.

Profile photo of okkamooieokkamooie
    @okkamooie

Hi RL

I personally wouldnt be without landlords insurance. If it is added to your public liability and building and contents insurance than the cost is really quite small.

I insure through CGU and have all the above in one package.  I have found them very good even though I have only claimed on building insurance component.

Don

Profile photo of spladesplade
    Participant
    @splade

HI RL,
        I am with AAMI and have found they are able to cover everything i need, and be on the cheaper side as well. im getting building and landlord insurance for a bit under 180 for two of my properties and 330 for the other. I had someone fall over in my house last year and fall through a glass panel. they apparently got some scares and tried to sue me. i sent the solicitors letter to AAMI and they handled it all for me. a few weeks after AAMI got involved it was dropped :) but they were very good during the whole ordeal, my premiums have not gone up as a consequence of the work they did for me.  my loan broker also said he wouldnt be able to get me a better deal than what I'm getting through them.

Profile photo of smpethsmpeth
    @smpeth

Hi,
       I use Alianz, I've never had to make a claim but their rates are reasonable…

Profile photo of here to learnhere to learn
    @here-to-learn

i have insurance with aami and cgu aami are cheaper but i've never made a claim so i don't know how good they are i have had 4 claims with cgu and have been reasonably  happy. the assesor that came out recently works for cgu racv and alliance she told me that cgu were the best out of the 3 and that racv and alliance wouldn't have passed some of the claim (wear and tear) whereas cgu did.
    good to hear that splade was happy with aami because really you don't know how good your insurance is until you claim then it's to late

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia
    C2 wrote:
    If you can afford lifes hiccups then you may not need landlords insurance, but for peace of mind I would suggest getting some.

Xenia,
    Have you read my nightmare swimming pool claim?  How would you have handled this situation without landlords insurance?
    Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your PM is problems can occur.

Yes I agree point taken, I was talking only about my personal risk profile. None of my properties have pools!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.