All Topics / General Property / Where do you see property investing in the next ten years

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of deadcatdeadcat
    @deadcat

Tyson, I am doing exactly that.

My wife and I have a strict budget. We have a growing share portfolio, and we add extra to our savings account each week.

I understand hard work is needed to save a deposit, but some posters on this forum really need to get it through their thick skulls that it is bloody hard to buy a house at the moment, and it's a hell of a lot harder than it was when the baby boomers were young (I would rather buy a house that is 2x my income at 17% rates, than the current conditions of 7x income at 8%).

Profile photo of r_windowsr_windows
    @r_windows

stock market will bust around 2010 when the the baby boomers start to retire at age 65 and take there cash out of superannuation and managed funds. Interest rates will rise and property boom will be on but we will see many foreclosures ripe for picking.

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    deadcat wrote:
    You must be very out of touch. Anyone with a job in the city certainly wouldn't be driving to work, or they would go broke (seen parking costs lately?).

Plenty of GenY people (myself included), moved out of home at 18. What do you say to us?

lol sorry last time I checked not everyone worked inthe city?………what was that you were saying about being 'very out of touch'? And seeing that the whole world works int he city I suppose they can save even more money by not having to pay wear and tear on the car huh..what do you say to that?

As for people moving out of home when they turn 18….well why would you when you could stay at home for a few years and save a deposit? Unless of course you got booted out and that is more a delima of circumstance rather than a generational problem

Participant
    @blogs
    deadcat wrote:
    Tyson, I am doing exactly that.

My wife and I have a strict budget. We have a growing share portfolio, and we add extra to our savings account each week.

I understand hard work is needed to save a deposit, but some posters on this forum really need to get it through their thick skulls that it is bloody hard to buy a house at the moment, and it's a hell of a lot harder than it was when the baby boomers were young (I would rather buy a house that is 2x my income at 17% rates, than the current conditions of 7x income at 8%).

So those of us with 'thick skulls' can understand can you please explain to me how with two incomes you are unable to save up a deposit? Where are you looking to buy? How much deposit do you want/need? Sooooo what you are saying is that you are complaining you cant afford a $630k house? Im guessing you and your partner would be on around $45k? so $70 a year by your magical 7 gets you $630k??

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

I am glad to hear you and your partner are striving towards your goals,….

alot of people put owning a property in the to hard basket, it's so much easy to blame house prices, the government and interest rates.

Participant
    @tysonboss1
    r_windows wrote:
    stock market will bust around 2010 when the the baby boomers start to retire at age 65 and take there cash out of superannuation and managed funds. Interest rates will rise and property boom will be on but we will see many foreclosures ripe for picking.

I have been thinking about this for a while too,

my thoughts were that when I look around at alot of the baby boomers I know, (and I am talking the average joe here) not many of them actually have overflowing super funds most of them actually have quite limited super saving's due to the fact that they have not been putting money in their  whole life as super has only come about in the last 15years or so, so the great sell down of stocks might not turn out to be as big as people imagine,

Also because of there limited funds in super and government incentives alot of boomers will continue to work past their retirement age, possibly still contributing to super,

another factor that might have some affect is alot of people that have been preparing to retire have already begun switching their super funds to a more conservative footing so you may find alot of their funds have already moved away from shares and into fixed interest, cash and property funds,

Also due to their lack of super  alot of retirees will down size the family home and move to retirement villages, this will have some impact on prices in the capital cities I am sure.

Alot of baby boomers own succesfull business's When they sell these business they may even invest the cash into their super funds who knows.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    blogs wrote:
    So those of us with 'thick skulls' can understand can you please explain to me how with two incomes you are unable to save up a deposit? Where are you looking to buy? How much deposit do you want/need? Sooooo what you are saying is that you are complaining you cant afford a $630k house? Im guessing you and your partner would be on around $45k? so $70 a year by your magical 7 gets you $630k??

Typo? Matho?

$70k x 7 = $490k = $721pw Interest @ 7.65%

A couple on $70k per year would surely only be looking to take a loan of $210k to $250k max?

Participant
    @blogs
    foundation wrote:
    blogs wrote:

Typo? Matho?

$70k x 7 = $490k = $721pw Interest @ 7.65%

A couple on $70k per year would surely only be looking to take a loan of $210k to $250k max?

Yep typo-in my original post I guestimate dthey were on $45k so = $90k, then using the 7 times rule came up with $630. Im not say its not hard to save a deposit but the opportunity is sure there-like I said a lot of people stay at home now till their mid to late 20's. If they are unable to save a deposit in a situation where many still are not paying board or food bills etc then they have no one to blame but themsleves. As to other complaining perhaps they need to look at where they are wanting to buy-forget inner city-hardley anyone can afford there anyway, again most of the 'oldies' bought in the burbs as that what they could afford. Still plenty of brand new 3 bedders in the burbs for under $350k, on a 10% deposit between 2 people thats only $17.5k-chicken feed….

Profile photo of deadcatdeadcat
    @deadcat
    blogs wrote:
    Yep typo-in my original post I guestimate dthey were on $45k so = $90k, then using the 7 times rule came up with $630. Im not say its not hard to save a deposit but the opportunity is sure there-like I said a lot of people stay at home now till their mid to late 20's. If they are unable to save a deposit in a situation where many still are not paying board or food bills etc then they have no one to blame but themsleves. As to other complaining perhaps they need to look at where they are wanting to buy-forget inner city-hardley anyone can afford there anyway, again most of the 'oldies' bought in the burbs as that what they could afford. Still plenty of brand new 3 bedders in the burbs for under $350k, on a 10% deposit between 2 people thats only $17.5k-chicken feed….

Which "burbs" are those. Brand new 3 bedder for under $350k in Brisbane?

Where?

Also, we are not on $90k (we are on less). We are most certainly paying rent and food bills.

The hard part comes in once you take kids into account. Health wise, the best time to have kids is in your 20's. My wife and I want to do that… so we won't have 2 full incomes once that happens. We need to keep that in mind when we buy something.

Participant
    @tysonboss1
    deadcat wrote:

Which "burbs" are those. Brand new 3 bedder for under $350k in Brisbane?

Where?

Also, we are not on $90k (we are on less). We are most certainly paying rent and food bills.

The hard part comes in once you take kids into account. Health wise, the best time to have kids is in your 20's. My wife and I want to do that… so we won't have 2 full incomes once that happens. We need to keep that in mind when we buy something.

quick search of realestate.com found 20 pages of properties in brisbane for under $350,000 around the northern suburbs of Petrie, Strathpine, Kallangur, Aspley alot of them look quite nice

I myself picked up a good little investment property in Petrie which is about 35mins from city about 18 months ago for $257,000 it is a house divided into two units under the one title, One three bed unit and a one bed unit, the combined rent is currently $390/week.

this kind of property would be great for some one just starting out trying to save to build equity for there house they wish to settle in one day, you could move into one unit and rent the other out.

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

Wow Devo
    Your question has started a lot of posts in only 6 days.
    It’s amazing what happens when you bring politics into the equation (God please dont mention religion!).
    It’s also amazing to read everyone's opinions on the pre/post effects of the Election, 2007 style. 

For the short term.
    IMHO I think there will be 2 small % rises before the Election and that the Australian economy in most sectors will hummmm along – without too many spot fires – once Rudd gets in.

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Deadcat – I remember when I was young thinking exactly the same thing as you.  The price of houses seemed so far out of our reach.  Don't get despondent – if you want it and will it, you'll finally get your first place even if it is a tiny little one – being in the market is better than being out even if its just a one bedroom unit to start with. 

With the help of a first home owner's grant we bought a block of land on the outskirts of our rural town and built a little 3 brm brick veneer house that was about 101 square metres  No garage, no back verandah, no turf, no garden, no driveway, no curtains.  Just a brick block in the middle of a mud patch.  We weren't fussy – it was a HOUSE!  To get lawn, I pinched kikuya runners from my inlaws place.  The neighours across the road smirked as they watched me patiently spread all those runners about because we couldn't afford the roll out turf like them.  A year later I smirked as I thought of how much I'd saved.

We had one 15mth child and the next one was born a year later (I figured if I waited until we could 'afford' children, we'd never end having them).  It was tough.  I had $20 a week to buy food, milk and bread for the week.  Hubby had to home brew if he wanted beer.  A spending spree for me was $5 at the op shop!  Still love those op shops.  Most of our friends were out every weekend knocking back the drinks and eating out regularly, and spending, spending, spending. 

It sounds like you're on the right track.  Just being in this forum shows that your already thinking ahead so try not to get it get to you – just keeping saving and investing those dollars!

I don't think the housing market will boom again like it did last time.  And it will languish for a couple of years yet except for the hot spots.  I think interest rates will go up another 1 or 2 percent – hopefully no more.

Profile photo of deadcatdeadcat
    @deadcat

Boshy, it's all good I'm not worried. :)

Interest rates are going up, and are likely to keep going up. That will put pressure on existing mortgage owners. Combined with the economic problems in the US, with possible flow on effects to China (and then us!), I'm quite content to just sit back, save money, and see where the economy goes.

As a side point, I'm actually considering leaving Brisbane, as I feel house prices have completely disconnected from fundamental values. The only question is where to go? Auckland perhaps? somewhere in Europe?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

"Contrast this (of course) to the baby boomers, who: worked 25 hours a day for 10 years to save a 20% deposit. Once they got a loan, they had to walk 50 miles home from work (through snow) to their new house on the outskirts of town. Once home, they sat around on borrowed milk crates staring at the wall (couldn't afford a TV), and eating dirt."

This sounds like the "four Yorkshiremen" sketch by Monty Python. Funny sketch- was it art imitating life?

Participant
    @tysonboss1
    deadcat wrote:
    Boshy, it's all good I'm not worried. :)

Interest rates are going up, and are likely to keep going up. That will put pressure on existing mortgage owners. Combined with the economic problems in the US, with possible flow on effects to China (and then us!), I'm quite content to just sit back, save money, and see where the economy goes.

As a side point, I'm actually considering leaving Brisbane, as I feel house prices have completely disconnected from fundamental values. The only question is where to go? Auckland perhaps? somewhere in Europe?

I think the fundamentals of the brisbane property market are good, property is certainly not overpriced up there, brisbane as a city has alot going for it,

There is no piont waiting for the perfect property market, once all the statics, facts and figures are correlated they are months old and the good times have passed.

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv
    Tysonboss1 wrote:
    There is no piont waiting for the perfect property market, once all the statics, facts and figures are correlated they are months old and the good times have passed.

I agree with you. (nearly)Everyone is always late to the party, so once you see the fundamental changing direction and moving up, you pounce and once they reach there max then you can get out if you want as you will get out before the slump.

Chris.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.