All Topics / Value Adding / Polished Floor Boards

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of joshbbassettjoshbbassett
    Participant
    @joshbbassett

Hi everyone,
    my partner and I just bought an old three bedroom VJ walled cottage in Norman Park, Brisbane. We have been doing some cosmetic renos to the property but I was just wanting to know other investors opinions on polished floor boards. The boards we have are very wide Hoop Pine (I was told) boards. The boards are quite irregular due to the age of the house (nearly 100) and they have been varnished or lacquered by the past owners, it sounds funny but they have some real character the way they are, but there is no uniformity with the colour throughout the house. I also know how good new polished floor boards look when you are trying to value add.
    What do others think? Is it vital to polish floors to increase value? Or is the character of the floors taken out by sanding and polishing?
    By the way I don't really think carpet is an option, it would be too much of a shame to cover up those big boards. oh and this will also end up being a rental property if that makes a difference.
    Interested to hear what others think.
    Josh.

Profile photo of annianni
    Participant
    @anni

Original boards won't always have uniformity in colour – could be an added selling point being the original boards?  it's often the character you referred to that buyers are looking for.  Guess it's really up to you.  With regards to renting the property – check with the property manager/agent re whether you can add a special clause in re having the floors professionally buffed on vacating the property (similar to having the carpets professionally cleaned).   I'm not sure how that will be taken by prospective tennants but it's one thing we'll be looking into in future IP's.
    A.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.