All Topics / Help Needed! / Bathroom Question – first home buyer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of investhutinvesthut
    @investhut

Hi All,

I have finally liked a property, its 3br single storey villa. The complex must be 25 years old brick one. It has a fully renovated bathroom, kitchen, tiles etc.

The building report has come with this:

=============================================================

Moisture meter reading: Moisture meter reading indicates moisture behind bottom tiles/base in shower recess

-> Moisture meter indicates moisture below shower taps this could be either the washers/fitting leaking, or water accessing to back of the wall through the penetration made by the taps (this should have been sealed). Would suggest that a licensed plumbing contractor be engaged to identify & repair the problem.

-> Sealant visibple to shower base, which makes me suspicious, although no visual evidence of leaking found, I would consider this shower base suspect!
    -> As the shower & bathroom has been fully renovated, I would advise that the warranty on the water proofing be obtained!
    -> Re-sealing and re-grouting of shower area is still recommended.

==============================================================

whats are your property experts thoughts on this… please help.

I am currently in 10 day cooling of period with 4 working days to go!!!

how much would this fixing cost, as a rough estimate????? first time i am buying i have no idea…

thanks,

Investhut

Profile photo of BaspetBaspet
    Participant
    @baspet

This is a fairly common problem in a house of this age, especially if it has a tiled shower base set into the foundation. By the sounds of it though, if it's been renovated recently, it could have been a handyman job and therefore have no warranty. Depending on what the extent of the damage is and what needs to be replaced you could be looking at $500-$3,000. Please note this is a very rough estimate considering I can't see the bathroom. It could just be that the tap washers need replacing, take the information from the report into consideration and call all plumber. Hope this has been helpful.

Profile photo of investhutinvesthut
    @investhut

Hi Baspet,

thanks for ur reply, the suspicion is correct.
    vendor told the bathroom has been renovated in 2003, is in really goood condition no in family would have thought its 3 year old.

also spoke to building inspector, he said he could not access to sub floor and thus could not tell what the extend of damage is, if any!!!

the vendor has come back saying that there is access to sub floor but the build inspector did not ask them… i dont know whom to believe. will call the building inspector to call the vendor or agent again and see if he organise to have a second look..
    i wonder will he charge for going out there again as well, or that will be covered in his original cost.

Investhut

@investhut

And yes, forgot to say vendor said no warranty on water purchasing!

Profile photo of PASSNBYPASSNBY
    @passnby

Re-sealing costs nothing, I work for Reece Plumbing and belive me, you dont need to know any trade at all to do that. How new do the spindles look? take off the cover for the tap handles (just un screw with your hand) and take a look at them and find out brand they are, we will be able to tell you if you need new ones or not, but there only like $10 or so.

@investhut

Hi Passnby,

thanks for that, just that i have never been a DIY so far…
    i am sure that will change with owning a small villa of my own :)

will try to get that bld inspector go there again.. i live 40 mins away, will try and see it once more i guess.

Investhut.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.