All Topics / General Property / INFLATION AHOY !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

It seems everything has jumped in price since July 1st. Electric bill up 10%, Im assuming thats everywhere. Food through the roof, movie tickets & popcorn up, tolls up, you name it, its up.

Have you noticed the same?

I expect the current quarters CPI to be quite bad. This wont be released till October, which means the first chance the RBA will have to react will be Nov 6th. I expect rates to rise 0.25 on Nov 6th, and another 0.25 on Dec 4th.

Plan accordingly

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

My salery goes up with cpi worked out from march to march. I was told today that the last year showed no cpi rise.What the !!!

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

thats a blatant lie.

from rba.gov.au:

Inflation Rate
    CPI Year to March 2007 2.4%

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Thank god that return on investment in the property market is way ahead of inflation. That's why we are all here :)

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Depends on your definition of inflation Xenia. The Austrian school of economic thought would tell you that inflation is expansion of the money supply (which devalues the unit of currency). Broad money is growing in excess of 14% per year…

If you prefer to measure inflation by looking at prices, the CPI is just one way of doing so. You could look at true household costs which are growing much faster (more weight to food, fuel, housing, bills, less weight to imported Chinese pap) than CPI. Or you could look at house price inflation

It doesn't matter how you look at it, inflation is always a monetary phenomenon. You can measure it by various means, but what you're really asking is "how much has the purchasing power of the dollar declined"?

Cheers, F.

Profile photo of RobLRobL
    @robl

Ah yes … but vis-a-vis purchasing power .. watch the State and National WCI :-)

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    RobL wrote:

Ah yes … but vis-a-vis purchasing power .. watch the State and National WCI :-)

Absolutely! When wage rises become entrenched and wage costs push up goods prices, that's when we'll all understand inflation just a little bit better!.. Assuming the economy doesn't first fall over under the sheer weight of debt it's carrying…

Profile photo of RobLRobL
    @robl

yup .. but we should remember that WCI is 'backward' looking .. the AWE and AWI deal with expectations projected … there is a trade off economically .. for example .. if we accepted WCI we'd all back Archer for the Melb Cup .. it is a matter of tempering reality (the now) .. with expectation (the then) .. expectation is driven by the 3yo part of the brain – 'they got it .. I want it too) .. given the jobless rate … the spill into the national labour pool .. there is a balance …. we're not there yet :-)

bugger *grin*

Participant
    @crashy

yesterdays CPI was a little alarming.

RBA might move on Aug 7, but I hope not as I have an auction on Aug 11.

Participant
    @crashy
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.