All Topics / Help Needed! / converting a house to a duplex

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

Hi Everyone

I've found a house thats huge it's a old queenslander i would like to know how i'd go about turning it into a duplex that isn't going to be strata tittled can i build a wall down the centre or does it have to be fire proof and even if i do that what about the outside walls that join the 2 units  together. does anyone have a way around this one?

Thanks Rob

Profile photo of MangMang
    @mang

You should ha e a talk to council first (start with the town planner). It may depend on whether you want to sell the "units" seperately or not. If you elect to sell them together then you may have no need to subdivide the property, just do the reno and collect the 2 rents. You'll just have to sell both properties together at some time in the future.

If you do want to subdivide then you generally need to firerate (you can't fireproof) the premises and this is generally a rating on the time fire is retarted from spreading to the adjoining unit. There are a number of way this can be done, but best to start with the council to sell if they'll even allow a dual oc.

Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

Hi Mang

The zoning is high density i could built 4 units on the land if needed. I don't want to separate the units but keep them together if i build a wall though the centre and turn them into a duplex is there an issue with the property now being 2 residents.

Thanks Rob

Profile photo of MangMang
    @mang

How do the numbers stack up if you tear down the house and build 4 units? As Steve says, the bigger the problem you solve the greater the reward (or something like that).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.