All Topics / General Property / Why is Western Melbourne so bad?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of mtajimmtajim
    @mtajim

Yes the western part is really diminishing and i even heard that property prices in south are also going down.

Profile photo of t4_evert4_ever
    @t4_ever

Guys you all forget that 3 big Uni (caulfield monash + clayton campus+Deakin) located on the East side. Where as the west only have 1.

the question is do u all want ur kids goto good Uni ??? if so then the best place is the EAST…

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

t4 EVER
    What the?
    Yes they are great Uni's but dont forget that Victoria Uni (One good Uni) in Footscray Park, Footscray Nicholson, Melton, St Albans, Sunshine, Werribee etc..

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    Hutch wrote:
    t4 EVER
    What the?
    Yes they are great Uni's but dont forget that Victoria Uni (One good Uni) in Footscray Park, Footscray Nicholson, Melton, St Albans, Sunshine, Werribee etc..

You gotta be kidding me-Ive never been to the other uni's but god help our kids if they are all as incompetant and unprofessionally run as V.U.T is!!!!!! That place is an absolute joke-from tutors/lecturors not having any material planned for the first few weeks and thus finishing the lectures after 25 mins and or sending everyone out to the bookshop or caf to waste time becasue they wernt obviously prepared, leaving one hour tutes after half an hour, conducting 2 hour lectures by just reading notes straight out word for word, teachers with such a poor grasp of english that they cant be understood, tutorials where the class is told to just do questions out of the book while the tutor puts his feet up and reads the paper….I could go on and on and on…….

That being said I think anyone who actually manages to graduate from that place would be of a higher calibre than the other uni's as the poor suckers have basically had to self teach themselves through the entire course…..

You have Melb Uni, R.M.I.T, V.U.T and Swinbourne all in the C.B.D so I cant see the campus's really being an issue. And even then I garauntee it would be faster to get to Caufield from the west than from say Glen Waverly

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

wow Blogs!
    calm down, did you see (or forget) the orginal question that was asked?

Participant
    @blogs
    Hutch wrote:
    wow Blogs!
    calm down, did you see (or forget) the orginal question that was asked?

lol nah mate, just respoding to you-so what has been your experiance there?

Anyway I have spent a considerable amount of time living on both sides of town and both have their pros and cons. For me the biggest con for the east was the overpriced property,  traffic congestion-a 5km trip turns into a 30 min car drive, that and the sprawling mass of surburbia-it is just house after house after house after house-whats so attractive about that? That being said the people in the 'nice' areas are 'nice' but the east still has its scumy areas such as Dandy, noble park, springvale, Mulgrave etc

The cons for the west would be the lack of infrastructure-no electric trains etc, but this is the governments fault. Other than that I think the pros of housing 50% cheaper than the east comparative, better traffic flow and nice landscape far outweigh the negatives. Also the potential to make a ship load of money helps too :)

Profile photo of THEHEATHTHEHEATH
    Participant
    @theheath
    t4_ever wrote:
    Guys you all forget that 3 big Uni (caulfield monash + clayton campus+Deakin) located on the East side. Where as the west only have 1.

the question is do u all want ur kids goto good Uni ??? if so then the best place is the EAST…

Yes because where you live dictates which University you attend lol.

Profile photo of TracyDTracyD
    @tracyd

Hello people!
    I will tell you the reason!!!!!
    The west is flat and has a lot of estates that do not have outstanding features that people will pay more to live near. Except – williamstown, Altona, etc they have beach and closer to city.
    The same reason the places in the East or North have lower values – Cranbourne, Dandenong or Thomastown for example, flat with no outstanding features. 
    These lack of features will not put demand on a property/area which is what drives prices up.
     Just my opinion, not bagging out any area as such :)

Participant
    @blogs
    TracyD wrote:
    Hello people!
    I will tell you the reason!!!!!
    The west is flat and has a lot of estates that do not have outstanding features that people will pay more to live near. Except – williamstown, Altona, etc they have beach and closer to city.
    The same reason the places in the East or North have lower values – Cranbourne, Dandenong or Thomastown for example, flat with no outstanding features. 
    These lack of features will not put demand on a property/area which is what drives prices up.
     Just my opinion, not bagging out any area as such :)

So can you explain to me why people would want to pay a premium to live somewhere hilly where driveways are a nightmare and due to the 45 degree sloping backyards they cant even have a half decent entertaining area? Most of the east is just as flat as the west except for pockets such as Doncaster, Donavale etc anyway?

I used to fly a lot and would be constantly amazed a the sprawling mass of surburbia out to the east-looked very much like L.A, and then you would look at the west and it would hardley extend out at all. Granted the areas out form the west were a very different socio economic type to that of the east but I still stand by my view (which has already been greatly proven already) that people can only afford so much, so if you have a couple with say a $500k budget who could only afford areas more than an hour out the east then of course they will look to the west and WILL/HAVE bought up big time when they see for that money they can still buy a terrace styple house within 8km of the CBD…quite simple really……

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

I dont think the west is inherently bad , its just what you prefer or are familiar with.   For me (ex Sydney years ago, settled in the east by accident as much as anything) the west tends to be a flat and boring urban desert  (and yes I would say the same thing about Pakenham).   Inner west is full of industry (tannery, abbatoir, petro chemical plants, oil terminals, organic material and metal recyclers etc).  In recent days there has been a bit of publicity in regard to industrial smells affecting the inner west.  Doubt if anything will happen about it unless it affects the city area, its been that way for many many years.  I imagine if someone has paid heaps for a luxury townhouse in Yarraville that it would pisse you off.   Access to good quality secondary education may also be an issue but that is probably a whole other debate, and is a pretty subjective thing.  

All of that is more why I choose not to live that side of town, not so much to do with investing.  The counter argument is that population pressure is on at the moment and at least the next few years, and all that industry also means to jobs, people and places to live being needed.   Early settlers get some proximity to town, before the spread heads seriously towards Geelong.    So from an investment point of view I dont see why it wouldnt be a good area to invest in.  I have limited time and all the opportunities I need in the other half of the city so I havent gone there.   If people are doing well in the west thats a great thing and more power to them.

Participant
    @blogs
    yarpos wrote:

I dont think the west is inherently bad , its just what you prefer or are familiar with.   For me (ex Sydney years ago, settled in the east by accident as much as anything) the west tends to be a flat and boring urban desert  (and yes I would say the same thing about Pakenham).  

First of all welcome!! Now the above is the type of view I just dont understand-the east to me is sickening in the sprawl of houses-it is relentless and non stop for nearly 2 hours…..whats so interesting about that? Add in constant 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic everywhere ughhhh no thanks. And if you are liking hills well like Ive said earlier most of the east is just as flat as the west bar Donvale, Templestowe area etc.

yarpos wrote:

Inner west is full of industry (tannery, abbatoir, petro chemical plants, oil terminals, organic material and metal recyclers etc).  In recent days there has been a bit of publicity in regard to industrial smells affecting the inner west. 

Another common misconception by people who dwell on the east and hardley venture into the west. Truth be know the east has over 5 times the amount of industrial areas than the west-you seem to be basing your opinion on a narrow field of view obtained from the westgate merge, though I can understand you reasoning. Ever ventured down Moorabbin, Dandenong way? And as far as smells, well I live inner west and have never smelt anything lol and anyway the wind normally blows from the west to the east so we get clean air and the east would get all the dirty air anyway. Air quality has been measured to be much worse on the eastern side-what would you expect when there are again about 5 times the amount of cars on the eastern side pumping out pollution?

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos
    blogs wrote:
    yarpos wrote:

I dont think the west is inherently bad , its just what you prefer or are familiar with.   For me (ex Sydney years ago, settled in the east by accident as much as anything) the west tends to be a flat and boring urban desert  (and yes I would say the same thing about Pakenham).  

First of all welcome!! Now the above is the type of view I just dont understand-the east to me is sickening in the sprawl of houses-it is relentless and non stop for nearly 2 hours…..whats so interesting about that? Add in constant 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic everywhere ughhhh no thanks. And if you are liking hills well like Ive said earlier most of the east is just as flat as the west bar Donvale, Templestowe area etc.

yarpos wrote:

Inner west is full of industry (tannery, abbatoir, petro chemical plants, oil terminals, organic material and metal recyclers etc).  In recent days there has been a bit of publicity in regard to industrial smells affecting the inner west. 

Another common misconception by people who dwell on the east and hardley venture into the west. Truth be know the east has over 5 times the amount of industrial areas than the west-you seem to be basing your opinion on a narrow field of view obtained from the westgate merge, though I can understand you reasoning. Ever ventured down Moorabbin, Dandenong way? And as far as smells, well I live inner west and have never smelt anything lol and anyway the wind normally blows from the west to the east so we get clean air and the east would get all the dirty air anyway. Air quality has been measured to be much worse on the eastern side-what would you expect when there are again about 5 times the amount of cars on the eastern side pumping out pollution?

Like I said its just my view, doesnt make it right…just like yours.  And like I said I say the same thing about Pakenham also.  I am very sure that the east has more industry, its just the nature of it.  I spent years working in the Newport / Yarraville/Geelong areas at various industrial sites and now work full time in Moorabbin as per your example,  so please dont make out that somehow there is a glass wall at the Westgate people dont cross.   I guess the activists in Yarraville must just be imagining things.

As long as people are happy where they are it seems there's nothing to get to concerned about.  Although these pissing matches, just like Sydney/Melbourne one, are always fun.

Participant
    @blogs
    yarpos wrote:
    [As long as people are happy where they are it seems there's nothing to get to concerned about.  Although these pissing matches, just like Sydney/Melbourne one, are always fun.

Concerned? Lol not me-Im laughing all the way to the bank!! :) Im happy where I am 5 ks from the cbd and the $200k I saved on the eastern equivelant property has allowed me to invest the diference and make even more money allowing me to live a much higher standard of living, drive a beautiful car, get a boat, and go on holdays overseas whilst the people on the east are scrimping and saving just to get by all for the privalge of sitting in the south eastern car park. So yeah I am actually pretty dam happy :)

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Gee that was fun.
    Makes me feel glad I live in the north! Well, more north-east actually.
    Leafy environment, not too flat, not too hilly and smack bang between two major universities.
    (La trobe and RMIT)
    And two minutes from the ring road that takes me straight to the CBD, never use it though, there are plenty of major roads that I'd rather take into the city.
    Oh, and not a toll road in site!

Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

Hi All,  About the West.   There was a segment on TV last night about the new TAFE property investing course and they listed Footscray as one of the Boom suburbs of VIC.

Profile photo of merrycmerryc
    @merryc
    oneiricer wrote:
    Hi guys,

i've just had a look at this month's API, and at the back is a map of melbourne with the suburbs growing in price. I noticed the majority of the fast growing suburbs is towards the east, where the east link is going to be built. Obviously this has a direct factor and is pushing prices up, but more importantly, why does the west side suck compared to the east side? Is it because canberra, sydney and brisbane are on the eastern coas tand hence more traffic flows through that way? what are your thoughts on the western suburbs?

The Western Suburbs is a generalisation. You cant honestly compare Williamstown and Bacchus Marsh, or Yarraville and Hoppers Crossing. That would make as much sense as comparing Carlton and Cranbourne, or Fitzroy and Glen Waverley. There are going to be good parts and bad parts of each. Obviously, suburbs like Yarraville, Williamstown, West Melbourne etc are close to CBD, heaps of great restaurants, views etc and are (or have been) great real estate opportunities.

Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Point Cook, Truganina etc are further out, take longer to get to the CBD (if that is what you are interested in) and have a more suburban feel. Some would say this makes them less attractive to invest in, the same way that a South Yarra apartment is more rentable than a townhouse in Cranbourne.

Just do your research and make sure that you understand what you are buying, and why you are buying it, and you will be fine.

Chris

Profile photo of merrycmerryc
    @merryc

P.S. Yes, I live in the inner north :)

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.