All Topics / General Property / How do you invest in a down turn

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Well when property is running hot anyone can make money. Many were smart enough set them selves up for early retirement during the last boom. Now the boom has more or less finished in most areas and another housing boom may be a while off so my question is.
    HOW DO YOU INVEST NOW.
    Do you play it safe and bank your money or do you look for other options. many say you can make money anytime so what are your thoughts.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

mahahaha

“more or less finished”

I remember people saying that in 2001.

What downturns are you referring to?

I wouldnt worry about trying to predict future opportunities until you have a handle on current ones :)

Profile photo of Mikey PMikey P
    Participant
    @mikey-p

Hi devo7

My method is look for real estate that's for sale at well below replacement value in an area that's tipped for industrial expansions. It means logging on to the asx site daily and reading the announcements. Seems to have worked for me.

Somewhere some place is just about to encounter a growth phase.

Stay lucky

Mikey P

Profile photo of AureliusAurelius
    Participant
    @aurelius
    crashy wrote:
    mahahaha "more or less finished" I remember people saying that in 2001. What downturns are you referring to? I wouldnt worry about trying to predict future opportunities until you have a handle on current ones :)

However, the link below your post point to a page that states

"PROPERTY? BAH!
    The property run is over. Property is expensive and rental yields are low. "

what the? Did I miss something?

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    crashy wrote:
    mahahaha "more or less finished" I remember people saying that in 2001. What downturns are you referring to? I wouldnt worry about trying to predict future opportunities until you have a handle on current ones :)

Ummm. Nsw flat for some time now. Perth  peaked, the same for Darwin.SE QLD doing well but. Low affordability. Rising interest rates.
    If you think real estate will continue at the same pace it has from 2001 then you go buy as much property as you can.
    I look foward to buying them cheap when the bank  takes them of you.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy
    devo76 wrote:
    [Ummm. Nsw flat for some time now. Perth  peaked, the same for Darwin.SE QLD doing well but. Low affordability. Rising interest rates.

NSW flat? not according to REIQ or RPData. Most suburbs I looked at in Sydney are up 15% this year.
    Perth peaked? only if the commodity boom is over, which is a brave call.
    Rising interest rates? they have been on hold about 8 months.

Is that armchair of yours stuck in 2006?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

There's only two times when it is good to invest in property;

1. during a boom; prices are going up, so the cap gain is instantaneous as long as you are ready to buy.
    2. during a slump; no-one is buying, prices are down, you can pick up bargains.

Now is the time to pick up those bargains!!

Of course, this is for 'buy and hold' to build long term wealth. If you are a trader or a flipper I can't help you other than to say you want to know the markets very, very well and time them very, very well.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Aurelius wrote:
    crashy wrote:

However, the link below your post point to a page that states

"PROPERTY? BAH!
    The property run is over. Property is expensive and rental yields are low. "

what the? Did I miss something?

The question has been asked before, and this was the answer:

Paul Crewther Posted: 05 Dec, 2005 wrote:
    The course was written (and website designed) back in August 2003. You may recall at that time property was peaking. Every man and his dog wanted into the market, Henry Kaye et al were spruiking seminars…..it was a mania in its purest form.

By coincedence, share values at that time were extremely low. The XJO index was coming up from 2700.

Property was yielding 3% while shares were yielding 8%.

So if you were a Financial Advisor with any credibility…….would you be recommending property or shares?

My view has now changed. I see shares as heavily overvalued. Property is still overvalued so that leaves cash or forex as viable investments.

http://www.number.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2816&sid=fd207ab67eb88e7d96d2c5f308ee8d44

But naturally, the $590 worth of training (a staggering 57,000 words on 155 A4 pages!!! Hmmm, I've written more than that in the last 4 weeks…) is still available… for those who want to find out what they should be doing four years ago!!!

Also noteworthy, the phrase "if you were a Financial Advisor with any credibility…….would you be recommending property or shares?"

Surely you've not been making such recommendations? I notice you were careful to write "This course provides educational materal only. No specific investment advice is ever given, nor should it ever be taken as such" on the website…

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    crashy wrote:
    devo76 wrote:
    [Ummm. Nsw flat for some time now. Perth  peaked, the same for Darwin.SE QLD doing well but. Low affordability. Rising interest rates.

NSW flat? not according to REIQ or RPData. Most suburbs I looked at in Sydney are up 15% this year. Perth peaked? only if the commodity boom is over, which is a brave call. Rising interest rates? they have been on hold about 8 months. Is that armchair of yours stuck in 2006?

OK. Some areas of sydney have seen 15% but NSW extends far beyond these suburbs.3 years ago the whole state was booming but not now.
    To argue that perth hasnt peaked, Im not going to bother with that one.AS for commodities. Few more years yet i hope.
    Interest rates have been stable recently but the majority believe they will climb next year.
    I hope you are right becouse i bought a IP just two months ago.But i feel there will be nothing spectacular in housing for a while now except for pockets of rising areas here and there.

Profile photo of Mikey PMikey P
    Participant
    @mikey-p

Only one thing standing between you and making a profit on any real estate is time!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Mikey P wrote:
    Only one thing standing between you and making a profit on any real estate is time!!!!!!!!!!

and effort and attitude!!

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

During a property down turn move all your money to invest in "ostriches" or "Olive Groves"

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Ostriches? How do you work out the gross rental yield or cash on cash return on and Ostritch?

When there is a downturn in the property market, invest in PROPERTIES! Smart investors will be cashed up and ready to buy at any time.

The individual deal is much more important that the stage of the market or the area it is purchased in!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.