All Topics / General Property / Floor Plan Size and Search Methods

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

I think it should be mandatory for all advertised property to state the size of the floor plan. It would be a good screening tool so you don't have to waste time looking at properties that are either too big or too small.

Property websites where you can set up alerts delivered to your inbox need further criteria. As indicated above the floor plan would be a useful addition, as would timber/brick criteria. I am not interested in timber properties and would like to screen these out.

Profile photo of BaspetBaspet
    Participant
    @baspet

If your talking about a residents I don't understand why you need the floor size on an ad, when the ad would tell you how many bedrooms, living areas etc. the dwelling has. Isn't that all you need to know?

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

It might be me, but might you not have different size bedrooms and other areas, such as combined kitchen/living and entertainment areas? This to me means it's difficult to tell the size of a property when the description says 3 bedrooms/1 bathroom, etc.

Profile photo of Jon ChownJon Chown
    @jon-chown

Hi Wewaz,
    Yes wouldn't it be great if we just told you everything about the property, then you would not have to look at it just send the cheque in the mail.   Sorry for the sarcasm, I just can't help myself.

While I agree that size of property should be included in ads or Brochures and to some degree it is (at least in Qld.), However we would require the Federal Government to legislate how to measure the size.   Pre 1998 unite were measured from outside of wall to outside of wall – post 1999 they changed to inside of wall to inside of wall.   So an 80m2 pre 1999 unit is equal in size to a post 1999 76m2 unit.   Most agents will include balcony and courtyard size in calculations and some even stoop to adding the garage space.   So in order for the measurements to have some degree of benefit they need to be measured the same. I just can't see this happening.

As an aside, there are two things that we humans can not visualise and that is size and colour.  So telling someone that the property is 100m2 won't mean much to very many.

Jon

Profile photo of BaspetBaspet
    Participant
    @baspet

I'm sorry to have come across a bit arrogant. I'm a builder and used to seeing many styles and sizes of houses, so I'm able to get an estimation of what a house looks like just by the discription, and when you build enough from scratch you can visualise what the house is going to look like at the foundation stage. Unless it's a luxury house, room size doesn't change drastically. Average bedrooms are around 3.6m x 3.6m, bathrooms 2.4m x 3m, living areas up to 6m x 6m, w/c1m x 1.8m and kitchens around 4m x 3m. To help people get a better idea about the size of a potential room I just tell them to get a tape measure and measure the rooms in the house they're living in this way they can visualise the size with furniture.

Profile photo of jsawtelljsawtell
    Participant
    @jsawtell

It would be nice to see a floorplan on property listing websites.  Even without specific measurements, you can normally get the idea of a room by its proportion to the rest of the house.  For me it would highlight things like living areas (open or closed areas) and other things like location of main room (eg, not at front of house if on main road) and also things like seeing if rooms have built-ins and WIR's.  Just to name a few things as it would save a fiar bit of time, especially if you are not local to the area.  Yesterday we walked into 2 houses and due to floorplan, walked out knowing straight away it would not suit, and could of saved 30 mins in a busy day which could of allowed viewing of a different house.

I understand it could be difficult to have access for an agent to scan a A3 plan, but would only cost minimal $$ to get it done at local print shop.  It is a technology world, and only a matter of time we adapt virtual tours.  Just my 2 cents. 

wezwaz wrote:
    I think it should be mandatory for all advertised property to state the size of the floor plan. It would be a good screening tool so you don't have to waste time looking at properties that are either too big or too small.

Property websites where you can set up alerts delivered to your inbox need further criteria. As indicated above the floor plan would be a useful addition, as would timber/brick criteria. I am not interested in timber properties and would like to screen these out.

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

My point exactly jsawtell. You had to waste valuable time on those two properties.

"Yes wouldn't it be great if we just told you everything about the property, then you would not have to look at it just send the cheque in the mail.   Sorry for the sarcasm, I just can't help myself."

Jon

That sounds like a response I would expect from a real estate agent. We can sit back and say it's all too difficult. But how do you think things change and improve in this world? Not by saying, "we can't do that."

There is a term used in various circles I despise: "tyre-kicker". Some people like to dump this on you when you are taking the time to research investments and so on. That is a weak attempt to force a person to make a snap decision. The point here is if I could see the floor plan size of a house and think it's not the right size, then I won't waste your time and you won't call me a tyre-kicker. Otherwise I'm going to have to waste your time looking at properties that turn out to be obviously not suitable as soon as I step through the door (as indicated by jsawtell in his response).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.