All Topics / Help Needed! / Where do the pipes go????????

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of RowesterRowester
    @rowester

G'day,

The imminent purchase of my first property is soon to be here….

I am currently looking at a 1 bed unit in dire need of a reno. The current tenants have been in place for 15 years, and it has been at least that since it last saw some love.

The unit has a large lounge/dining area, and a kitchen adjacent. I believe that the kitchen can be turned into a small second bedroom (It will still be big enough to fit a double bed and built-in wardrobe). I would move the kitchen into the loung/dining room.

My question is this……. moving the kitchen, and more specifically the plumbing to another part of a unit will incur extra costs.

Where do I stand with replumbing units in a Strata titled block?

The unit is on the first floor, with undercover car spaces directly beneath. If I am unable to move the kitchen, and create a second bedroom, the unit loses a lot of its attraction and more specifically/importantly yield.

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Okays I have not done what you are proposing but have witnessed nasty legal battles between the BC and a tenant.  Making everyone pay!  Yes the BC is funded by all tenants.

So I would suggest communicate and keep talking with the BC and all the members.  I would guess you need to submit your plans to the BC for an approval. They will explain to you the due process.

It is important you get approval from them if you are going to change, in any way, the common property.  Also if you may impact others (ie your re-routing of drainage could cause problems if done incorrectly). 

Its a risk as I doubt you would be able to get all this inplace prior to the purchase.  So have a plan B ready. ie what can you do by adding a false floor or some false walls?

Regards,
    Mat

Profile photo of RowesterRowester
    @rowester

I imagine that I am able to alter the internals of the unit with no real issues. It is the relocating of the pipes, in particular the waste pipe that I can foresee problems.

The real estate agent (taken with a pinch of salt) said that a neighbour had moved the kitchen with no problems.

The property has been on the market for over a year, so can either knock down the price, or get extended settlement terms. But without creating that second bedroom, there are far better 1 bed units locally to persue. 

I guess the next step is to

a: knock on a few doors, and speak to the bc
    b; get an approx quote from a plumber, as the costs may inhibit such a move, although I don't believe so.

Ian

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Ian

Have you considered also knocking on the neighbours door to verify that they have moved the kitchen and to ask what if any problems they encountered and how the plumbing was done in their case.?  

Just a thought.

Elka

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

This Project could have some major cost blow outs,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.