All Topics / Value Adding / Wall Cavity Fill-in

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Pete74Pete74
    @pete74

This is my first post, and also my first reno question.

I've just bought a lovely duplex townhouse. The lounge room has a decorative (not functional) fireplace, consisting of a mantle made of large chunks of sandstone, concreted to the wall around a cavity approx 770mm x 620mm x 170mm. The cavity housed an old gas bar-heater. My partner and I are not into the Viking Hall look, and have decided that it's got to go, to be replaced with a flat wall surface.

The wall is double brick-veneer, and rendered on the interior. The sandstone chunks should be easy enough to remove with a hammer and chisel (it may even be theraputic with the right sized hammer). The cavity does go all the way through the wall. I'm looking for advice for the most economical way to fill the cavity:
    – brick it up
    – gyprock sheet over a frame
    – other

It's a given that the wall rendering will have to be repaired where the sandstone chunks have been removed and the cavity filled in.

Thanks
    Pete

Profile photo of Cory RobertsonCory Robertson
    Participant
    @cory-robertson

Hi Pete,
                    The first question I have for you is, can you lay bricks? If you can you could brick in the wall your self and then render over the top to make it look like it was never there.

I think the easier way would be to frame up the hole and plaster over the top. Make sure that the plaster join is away from the hole incase there is movement at a late date.

Good luck,

Cory.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.