All Topics / Help Needed! / Bricks & mortar vs Timber Weatherboard

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MrmanMrman
    @mrman

Hi, just wondering what your opinions are on homes made from bricks and mortar versus timber weatherboard homes. Does it have an affect on value, rent. Obviously it also matters what is inside but would a timber weatherboard home attract less rent because of its cheaper look.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to buy in an area that has a mixture of both types and each type has some good homes for sale.

Lets say there were 2 houses next to each other that were the same on a same sized block but 1 is timer and 1 is brick.

Thanks
    George

Profile photo of Cory RobertsonCory Robertson
    Participant
    @cory-robertson

Hi George,
                        I would be sticking with a brick house over a timber house any day. Timber houses are a lot more work with the upkeep.

Make sure you check the footing on the houses, it is always good to carry a billiard ball to check what the floor is like.

You will pay more for a brick house but it will be worth it in the long run.

Hope this has helped.

Regards,

Cory

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

I agree you will have to maintain a timber home more, But I wouldn't say no to a good property just because it's timber. 

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

As an investment, I prefer brick homes. But as a home, I prefer the look and feel of timber homes.

Profile photo of lobolobo
    @lobo

hi

remember modifications such as opening up walls, extensions, new windows etc can me much more expensive for a full brick home!. Buy a full brick if u like the layout and do not plan major changes. Even new power points can be a pain to install.

thats my take anyway

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Agree with most comments above, however are we talking brick veneer or solid brick houses?
    Solid brick houses are a real pain for renovating or extending.
    Even if you need to redo plumbing or electrical work, it will cost you a lot more with a solid brick house.
    Something for you to consider.
    Sue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.