All Topics / Value Adding / Rendering over fake brick cladding?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of lushuslushus
    @lushus

Hi
    Is it possible to render over the top of fake brick cladding? If so how successful is it?
    Thanks Janine

Profile photo of Cory RobertsonCory Robertson
    Participant
    @cory-robertson

Hi Janine,
    Just thought that I would drop you a line about your question.

You should not render over a fake brick cladding, if there is any movement in the building the render will crack. This is only a matter of time before this happens and you will be left with something that you will regret to quite some time.

Hope this is some help, good luck.

Regards,

Cory.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi, I'd just like to point out that some of the older brick cladding contains asbestos, so if you opt to remove it, I'd have it checked out first.
    I only recently found this out myself, so be careful.
    Cheers,
    Sue

Profile photo of KancabKancab
    @kancab

I agree with Cory ,  Do not render over the fake brick..  A couple of houses i have seen with fake brick that  was removed was that they had weatherboards underneath…. Check out the asbestos thing first though.. Thanks Kancab.

Profile photo of lushuslushus
    @lushus

Thankyou,I will check this out.
    Janine

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

We had fake brick cladding removed by a professional asbestos contractor. Underneath were beautifully preserved weatherboards.

It's a house built in the 1920s and we are renovating with the intention of putting it back on the market once finished. The finished product should look fantastic.

Cheers,
    Pete

Profile photo of lushuslushus
    @lushus

Wow thats great. What was the cost of removing the cladding?(ball park figure will do,if you don't mind)Our 18 year old daughter has just had an offer accepted on a house with fake brick cladding.We are so proud of her.
    Thanks Janine

Profile photo of BaspetBaspet
    Participant
    @baspet

Hi, don't know if you need anymore information, but if you want to get rid of the fake brick cladding and it ends up containing asbestos you can take it to your local landfill without having a license. This is true where I live, so long as it's from your own residence. To check that it has asbestos break a corner off, if it has thick white fibres in the sheeting it's more likely than not to be asbestos. Now that you've determined what it is and want to take it off yourself you will need the following.
    1.coveralls
    2.face mask
    3.goggles
    4.gloves
    5.sheets of plastic
    6.duct tape
    First things first. Put protective gear on, then see if you can find nails in the cladding if so use a nail punch to drive them in. If not just break the cladding off being careful not to break it into to many pieces. Lay the cladding into neat piles on the plastic making sure one or two people can carry the piles once wrapped up. Wrap it up like a present, taping all folds and holes with the duct tape. If you need to clad the house again and like the idea of render, try blue board which is a 8mm compressed cement sheeting that can be rendered with no cracks appearing if done right. I know this because I have done it on a couple of projects. Hope this has been a help for you or anyone else considering this option. Remember to check with your local landfill before taking asbestos there to be dumped. Have fun.

Profile photo of VijayGopinathVijayGopinath
    @vijaygopinath

Hi,just bought a bungalow.The lounge is huge with a 16'X 8' brick wall as the main feature. It incorporates a large fireplace, made with matching bricks and is absolutely gorgeous, with straight lines and deep pointing / grooves, except for the fact that the peope tied to save money when getting this wall erected and had it made from horrible, harsh angled, plain grey bricks, instead of the red bricks ususally used. These have then been painted over, (only each individual brick, not the morter) with flat white 'orrid emulsion, which we have been told can only be removed by sandblasting (not a viable solution) What we would like is somneone to tell us how to create a natural red brick effect using the bricks in place as a base, without having to plaster over the whole wall or use fake brick cladding. We read something about using 'stucco' and sponges to paste over each brick, and then painting, but not sure what stucco is or where to get it. can someone please help?

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

Hi Janine,

There is a membrane that you can put over the cladding prior to rendering it. It has a lot of elasticity (like rubber) in it so it means that the render won't crack if there is any movement. I haven't used it myself but my partner has and he said that it was a little bit fiddly but definitely worth it in comparison of removing the cladding. Might worth finding out a bit more about it..

Wishing you every success,

Profile photo of aprilstaraprilstar
    Participant
    @daria

Hi Ana,

I would love more information about the membrane you are talking about for the fake brick house. I have looked on the internet to find out what it is and can’t find it. Thank you Daria

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.