All Topics / Finance / Redrawing of loan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Hi all,

Ive been doing a bit of reading and was wondering what are the implications of redrawing of an IP loan for taxation purposes? What I was basically looking to do what pay off as much as possible of the loan so that I can get positive cash flow. To do this I was thinking of putting my whole pay on the loan and then redrawing say once per month to pay my credit card. What are the implications of doing this when it comes to interest charged on the loan at tax time? When claiming the interest charged at tax time cant I just add the amount charged from each one of my monthly statements or is it more complicated then that?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Zayne

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you redraw any money it is seen as a new loan. 

What you spend it on determines the purpose of this new loan.

If you draw some money for personal use (car, home, PC, holiday etc) you will then have a non deductible portion of your loan.  This can get very messy.

Save your money in an offset account.  Preferably attached to your PPOR loan.  Offset accounts are entirely seperate accounts and you wont have the above problem.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Well said Simon.

If you had a home and an investment property, you would be better of with the LOC being against your home, since the interest paid on a PPOR is non-deductible.

For example, let's say that you had three choices with your $5,000 monthly pay packet:

1. Put In The Bank

You could put it in an interest bearing account and draw it down.  You would earn interest, but this interest would be assessable for tax purposes, so the exact amount of the return would be ($Interest * (1-tax rate)).

For example, if you could earn 5% interest per annum, then assuming no drawdowns then you would earn $20.83 interest for the month.  Assuming you paid 30% average income tax, your after tax return would be $14.58 (which then equates to an after tax return of 3.5%.

2. Pay Off Your Investment Property Loan

Assuming you had an outstanding loan of $100k and interest was at 8% per annum, paying the $5k off your IP loan would save you $33.33 per month (using simple interest calcs). Since this saving is not taxed, it could be seen as an effective way of maximising wealth, EXCEPT that the interest here is tax deductible.

Had you paid the interest, then (say) 30% would have been deductible meaning that the tax shield would be $33.33 * 30%.

That is, the after tax effecive interest rate would be $23.33. This equates to an interest rate of 5.6%.

So, what seemed okay at first glance may not be so good afterall.

3. Pay Off Home Loan

Let's also imagine that you had a home loan of $100,000 with interest also at 8%.  This interest is non-deductible as the loan is for a private purpose.

If you pay off the $5,000 against the loan you still save $33.33 per month.  However, now:

A. The saving is not taxible (unlike option 1 where the interest was earned (not saved) and hence was taxable; or
    B. The interest is not deducible (unlike option 2).

So, in order to earn $33.33 per month, you would need to gross $33.33 + (1- tax rate).  That is, in pre-tax salary you would need to earn $47.61, so that once tax was taken out you would end up with $33.33.

Therefore, now the tax effective interest earned is 11.4% (($47.61 * 12 )/ $5000).

Summary

Therefore, looking at the three interest rates that have been notionally adjusted for the impact of tax:

Option 1 yields 3.5%
    Option 2 yields 5.6%
    Option 3 yields 11.4%

This rather simple maths model (with the assumptions herein) reveals why it is usually more advantageous to pay off non-deductible debt first, then deductible debt, and lastly invest the money in separate interest earning accounts.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

To fine tune Steve's detailed post just a little …

If your current PPOR is ever to be turned into an IP then pay this loan "off" via an offset account.  It is virtually the same except it allows you to pull your repayments for the next PPOR without compromising the tax deductibility.

This is often the case for the young couple moving on from their starter home or flat into something a little bigger – esp after children come along.  Had they paid the starter home loan off and decide to keep it as an IP then they now have all their equity in an IP and 100% loan against their PPOR – not the most tax effective setup!

An offset really works well when used properly.

Cheers,

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Looks like an offset account is the way to go. Thanks guys for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.