All Topics / General Property / buying land but “house site is set”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of jasevr4jasevr4
    @jasevr4

Has anyone ever come across land where the "house site is set". I am looking at buying some acreage in SA, but the real estate agent says that the "house site is set". Apparently when the farm was originally subdivided the farmer next door took out a court order saying that each property has to have one set house site – the buyer of the land can't build anywhere else.

The house site is basically where we would build anyway, but it just seems a bit vague. The site is marked by one stake. Do I have to build on the stake? Nearby it? On one side of it?.. The real estate agent says "just around that area".. But that doesn't sit right with me.

Does anyone know where I can find about a court order on a property? Land Titles Office?

Any help would be great!

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Any building envelope should be listed on the title (if it's not, it probably doesn't exist), and shown on the plan. I'd ask the estate agent to provide a copy of the plan first (can't see why they wouldn't have copies from the subdivision at least, otherwise go for a copy of the title and certified plan. In my council there is some scope for moving or amending the envelope, but this requires an application for dispensation. There has to be a decent reason for the application, and even then it can be summarily dismissed by the council planning department.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.