All Topics / Value Adding / Rainwater Detention Tanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of mosnarmosnar
    @mosnar

I am doing a sub-development of two homes in Adelaide. I recently recieved an amended copy of my plans from the builder that mysteriously included 2 1100 litre rainwater detention tanks on the side of each house. When I questioned why this was not on the plans I agreed to at contract the builder advised that they had been added by the engineers after contract signature in accordance with council requirements. Of course there is a clause in the contract that states stormwater management is my responsibility.

I have checked the council development plan and way down on page 27 or 373 it says

"Development which results in a total two dimensional roof area greater than 30 percent of the site area, should include on-site stormwater detention structures/techniques which control the discharge of stormwater from the site so that it does not exceed the rate of stormwater discharged by development with a 30 percent site coverage"

In other words, according to the council, I do need these tanks. However, as it is my responsibility to install stormwater management sometime after I accept the house from the builder, how will the council determine if they have been installed or not? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

I'm not sure how it works in your area, but the councils I have worked with will not "stamp" and approve plans without all their little requirements shown.
    Such as rainwater tanks, even down to the landscaping and type of plants!
    Then after completion, they come by for final inspection and ensure that all that is on the plan is in place.
    Only then will they issue a Certificate of Occupancy.
    They usually like to find something… our last place was picked on for not having a seal around the front door.
    So I guess I'm saying if they require the tanks, they'll probably want to check at some stage that they a there.
    Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.