All Topics / Value Adding / What would you do?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello All

I am currently doing a reno very long distance. Some months ago while in Australia I met a builder who I had been recommended by a family member. A few weeks ago he gave me a quote for part of the job I wanted done and has now nearly completed it. During the course of the work he has been sending me reports and pictures via email and I must say I am very happy with the results. He even threw in a couple of things that needed doing for free and told me later. 

I have just recieved an email from him telling me that he will be finished on Monday but that luckily for me but unluckily for him the quote was too low and in fact while all materials were covered and his workmen got paid, he himself has done the job for free. I felt bad when I read this.

So my question is … should I offer to pay extra so that he also gets paid for his work. I just feel I should even though the whole renovation is turning out much more expensive then I had calculated (so what's new). Not his part of it though.

What would you do. Please, no tirades about tradesmen who rip us off (and I think I have one of those too ) but he is not one. Or am I being unprofessional.

Elka 

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

You could offer to pay for the extra work done.

Ask him what amount would make him happy and tell him you will think about it. Make sure he knows how happy you are with the work, sometimes thats more important than making a big profit. He will be sure to remember you next time.

You should be commended on your attitude to this tradie. Most people here would lie, cheat & steal just to save $1. Glad someone has ethics :)

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

If you believe that he has gone out of his my to make this project work for you, and you are really happy with the job I would probally give him a bit extra if only to keep him on side for future projects, try to find out if what he charged was a the lower side.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you both for your responses. I have emailed my builder as per your suggestion crashy and will see what he thinks.

Cheers

Elka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.