All Topics / Heads Up! / Shonkster or Godsend?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of jolphinjolphin
    @jolphin

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any negative dealings with 21st Century Academy (aka Jamie McIntyre) and his homestudy course? My husband is so excited at the prospect of replacing his income by renting shares that he has started taking time off work already. We haven't paid the $4000 for the course yet (my skeptism has kept the credit card out of reach). A quick check on the ASIC site uncovered several media releases relating to Jamie McIntyre which has fueled my reluctance to part with our money.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Save your money. There is no secret. Everything that can be known about property investing is public knowledge, most of which can be found on this forum for free.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Whether he is a shonk or godsent depends on your attitude. $4000 spent could mean that you are set for life or it could mean that you just wasted $4000.

I don't agree with the above comment that this forum delivers free information, there are many posts answered by people with no knowledge or experience in the area giving "free" advice that is speculative and based on opinion rather than fact. Some posts even relate to things that are written in black and white in real estate legislation and people unknowingly give "free" advice about things that are not even legal. It's a fun forum to discuss things with like minded people but be very careful about taking advice. Free advice can be the most expensive!

Back to Jamie, he sells knowledge!
    Knowlede without action is just a waste of money.

Writing call options on shares (or properties) is a BUSINESS it is not something you can do in your spare time. Like any business it can be a complete success or it can be a disaster. Like any business it takes time to master the skill, it takes capital to fund the business and it takes alot of money in mistakes before you get it right. It is not a hobby!

I know 3 successful traders making over $800,000 per year. All 3 have a similar iron discipline, focus and have created their OWN mathematical strategies that work for them. All 3 have lost money in the begining. All 3 have a huge trading capital so small wiggles in the market are not going to wipe them out.

I know 50 others that have lost money and given up. This is not 21st accademies fault it is the fault of the individual.

Before doing a full course on call options may I suggest buying a book called trading for a living by Alexander Elder. It talks about trading psychology and will drive the point home that it is not as easy as jamie makes it seem it is a business to be taken seriously.
    Just remember that not everyone that joins a gym will become a professional body builder, most will not, but those that have the desire and persistance WILL!!!! (that's not a reflection on the gym either!)

Profile photo of youness935youness935
    @youness935

Hi,
    I've done his course before and I asked for refund! All what he said is in the books. I recommend you read "Rich dad Poor dad" to get the mind set right first. Then get the following book "cash flow quadrant" and "Guide to investing". They will open up your eyes!
    Good luck
    Youness
    http://www.happyhomes.net.au

Profile photo of gilp1gilp1
    @gilp1

Thank you all who have replied. I'm glad I locked away the credit card. We will endeavour to read the books recommended and take it from there.

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

There was a very long thread some time ago re Jamie McIntyre. Jamie was actually involved in the discussion himself. Maybe do a search on this site.

As someone said he sells knowledge. Whether you wish to pay $4000 for it is the crux of the matter. You have to consider a fair amount of time would have gone into putting the home course together. I am not sure it would be $4000 worth though. People like JM have good intentions in wanting to educate us on investing because hopefully it can help Australia as a whole. There are too many uneducated people throwing money around when they shouldn't be, so education should help.

There is a problem though. There is a mistaken belief we can all be educated, apply it and become rich. That's not going to happen. Life isn't like that. Theoretically it should happen, but life isn't about theory. The fact is that a very few of the people who take this path will become wealthy, but the majority won't. If you think differently, then you aren't living in the real world. The trick is to make yourself one of the few, providing you have the passion. If you don't, forget it.

Many don't like being presented with the facts because it sounds somewhat negative. I prefer to deal in reality, not fantasy. We all have different motivations. Some will be driven to achieve wealth, whereas others may start with good intentions, but they just can't maintain the motivation. Maybe they don't have the willpower, they get distracted or life throws them a curve ball. Just because you take a particular path in life, that doesn't mean you have a guaranteed outcome.

So, if you were to buy JM's home study course, it will require a good deal of application to get the best from it. It is a mistake to believe that JM can train everyone to be successful to the degree he is (from what I've heard).

I have some issue with writing covered call options (renting) over shares to make a living. The belief is you can make about 3%/month which equates to 36%/year. That is very high and in my opinion not possible in the long term. I've looked at some Aust shares and the premiums aren't very good, so I don't see how you get this to work consistently.

Having spent over six years around the investment scene looking at lots of strategies some things I have learnt. Don't pay endless amounts of money on so-called education. You need that money for investment and you won't have it if you blow $20k on education! OK, so how do you gain the knowledge? Read a lot of books, use your common sense and build your knowledge through your own trial and error. There are heaps of books (which you can even get from the library) with all the strategies you could want. You don't necessarily need somone at a seminar telling you what you can get from a $30 book. One thing I like about the share market is you can commit real money to experiment. Sounds dangerous, but if you do it in a controlled way it won't kill you. I have made heaps of mistakes (lost a significant amount of money) in the learning process, but it's never deterred me. I recover and move on. These real life lessons are the key to understanding.

Investment requires passion and application. You don't have a hope without it. In other words don't think you can cut to the chase because you want to make a lot of money. You are doomed with that attitude.

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

IN regards to rich dad series of books, I think they are great books for motivation, but there is not really any nuts and bolts "how to" infomation, they are really aimed at putting you in an investment mind set

I own all the books mentioned above and they were all great reads, I am just saying you also have to invest time and maybe some money educating yourself in the art of investing, which is really a life long project.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Further to Tyson's post;

I've read all R.K's books, and Tyson is right; they are more mindset and concepts – not so much nuts and bolts, but the mindset shift is probably the biggest factor. They will change you from a consumer to an investor.

I now look at people driving around in $50k cars knowing they are leased or on h.p, and I think "that's another I.P deposit right there" and so on.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Xenia wrote:
    Whether he is a shonk or godsent depends on your attitude. $4000 spent could mean that you are set for life or it could mean that you just wasted $4000.

I don't agree with the above comment that this forum delivers free information, there are many posts answered by people with no knowledge or experience in the area giving "free" advice that is speculative and based on opinion rather than fact. Some posts even relate to things that are written in black and white in real estate legislation and people unknowingly give "free" advice about things that are not even legal. It's a fun forum to discuss things with like minded people but be very careful about taking advice. Free advice can be the most expensive!

Back to Jamie, he sells knowledge!
    Knowlede without action is just a waste of money.

Writing call options on shares (or properties) is a BUSINESS it is not something you can do in your spare time. Like any business it can be a complete success or it can be a disaster. Like any business it takes time to master the skill, it takes capital to fund the business and it takes alot of money in mistakes before you get it right. It is not a hobby!

I know 3 successful traders making over $800,000 per year. All 3 have a similar iron discipline, focus and have created their OWN mathematical strategies that work for them. All 3 have lost money in the begining. All 3 have a huge trading capital so small wiggles in the market are not going to wipe them out.

I know 50 others that have lost money and given up. This is not 21st accademies fault it is the fault of the individual.

Before doing a full course on call options may I suggest buying a book called trading for a living by Alexander Elder. It talks about trading psychology and will drive the point home that it is not as easy as jamie makes it seem it is a business to be taken seriously.
    Just remember that not everyone that joins a gym will become a professional body builder, most will not, but those that have the desire and persistance WILL!!!! (that's not a reflection on the gym either!)

Great post Xenia

Agree wholeheartedly

Being someone who can't make 2+2 =4  I get somewhat lost in some of the complex share formulae

Profile photo of PropertygirlPropertygirl
    @propertygirl

I'd advise searching for past clients that have already undertaken the course. This would be an easy way to find whether or not the course is for real or even helpful.
    Attending seminars on this topic is usually far cheaper and may be just as rewarding. Look into all of your options before putting your eggs into one basket. Much of this information is already known throughout the wider community and a bit of research may yield you priceless information for absolutely nothing.
    Good luck!

Profile photo of madeinitalymadeinitaly
    @madeinitaly

Just a provocative thought.
    If Jamie was out there to educate people on a noble cause he would have made his book thicker, denser with more nuts and bolts instead of just a tantalising tool to advertise his seminars.
    Usually (my 2 cents opinion) seminars are great for motivation (I have done few) but when it comes to knowledge: sharing info with a likeminded (and unbiased/genuine without secondary gains) group like that on this website and reading a lot of books on the subject u interested in could do a lot more than spending thousands on seminars. This money could be much better spent on investment and guess what if you make a mistake you learned a great lesson – something seminars can't teach you.
    By the way the most successful people are those that fail 6-7 times out of ten.
    Andy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.