All Topics / Help Needed! / Goulburn – where to look

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ElseElse
    @else

I am a wannabe investor yet to make a first purchase. I've done a lot of looking around at properties in Sydney (where I live) in the past couple of months, attending inspections and auctions every weekend. The whole market is way out of my price range at the moment. I am set to go to Goulburn in a couple of weeks to have a look for properties down there and hopefully get an idea of where to look more thoroughly next time.

I'd like a little bit of general advice as to what are the good/bad areas in Goulburn to look at, so if anyone local or who knows the area wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction that'd be helpful. I don't have a particular kind of property in mind at the moment – 2 bed units and small houses spring to mind. Particularly if anyone knows a "newbie friendly" real estate agent down there I could get in touch with before i go down who wouldn't mind me picking their brain for a few minutes, that would be awesome.

Any suggestions or wishings of "good luck" will be well received :)

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there
    could I just put a rider on Goulburn due to the water shortages – they are on very tight water restrictions – it may not be a good long term investment
    thanks

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Else -welcome to the forum. Good point from raddles. Have you  thought of Wollongong, or perhaps if you want lower prices Nowra? No further from Sydney, and prices appear to be on the slight up now. I'm involved with a new finance business opening there next month – I say that not to solicit business (although let me know if you need a hand of course!) but that you do hear things around obviously, and I see property valuations, etc & get an fair idea of the valuers comments. And while you won't make akilling, there appears to be excellent long term growth prospects, and despite the ridiculously high unenployment, there is a ton of development happening and more on the way. Just a suggestion of course. Like anywhere though, as you've mentioned, you have got to choose your area – and in Nowra that is really important.
    Further south closer to Vic there is some good buying to be had too. There are easier places to buy reral estate in Australia than NSW though in my opinion, and you may wish to consider using an experienced buyers agent if buying interstate for your first purchase. All the best anyway with your journey (your investment one – not just your Goulburn one)

Profile photo of ElseElse
    @else

Thanks for the feedback.  I've thought about looking at the 'gong too, but i'm starting at goulburn under the guidance of someone in the know.  Maybe i'll make a trip to wollongong (or perhaps even nowra) depending on how i go in goulburn.  Hopefully the situation isn't too dire in goulburn as far as water goes – got to be a reason for vendors to sell low so maybe temporary water shortages are a good thing.  Might be a big maybe :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.