All Topics / Finance / St George loan product advice/recommendations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of jsawtelljsawtell
    Participant
    @jsawtell

Hi,

I currently bank with St George, and looking for a better loan as we originally purchased a PPOR on a No Deposit loan due to circumstance.  Everything has changed now so need to change my structure

Previous
    Dual "Middle" class Sydney income
    no cash in bank
    Purchased property/house in Sydney's west

Current
    Income increased significally
    $60,000 in cash
    PPOR Property has now become an investment property as we have moved interstate into parents home for 12 months while they are away. 
    $422,000 owed on property.  Property valud $470-480k
    Rental income $390/week
    Loan setup as P+I with an 100% offset
    Rate is 7.35%
    The loan also has monthly charges of $12/month for offset/admin etc

Going Forward
    Need to change loan to IO
    To finance to another bank, then SGB (St George Bank) break charge is $6000 until April 2008.  At the moment I can move to a different SGB loan product with the break cost being limited to a few hundred $$ depending on daily market.

I was looking at this product as it has no monthly fees, plus moves me to IO.  Then thinking beyond this transaction is that I can use the LOC style loan to purchase additional properties in very near future.
    SGB Portfolio/LOC product –
    http://www.stgeorge.com.au/mortgage/home_loans/stgeorge_home_loans/portfolio_loan.asp?orc=personal

OR – should I just change my current SGB loan to IO on same mortgage product.  Then once I have sufficient deposit to take out a 2nd loan from different lender to buy 2nd, 3rd ….etc property and move the SGB over to new lender after April 2008?

Thanks, hope I have enough info included for anyone to make an informed opinion

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
    Jason

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Good on you for the higher income and improved situation. Based on what you have said, I think your second option if you can change makes most sense – change to I/O on existing loan and leave as is. You are on a good rate, and this is then set up nice and flexible for the future – your needs may change. But as you have obviously researched, for a PPOR that 'may become' an IP in future, this is a great way to set it up, using the offset mortgage account along with IO.  An LOC is generally used when you want to access funds from your own home, to access equity (for personal or investment usage – which need to be kept seperate too! – in which case I woud suggest a split loan)  A $6k break charge woudl take years to recover in any cheaper interest rate you may be able to get at this point for a loan like this! Put your funds towards a new seperate loan for your next property, bearing in mind it makes sense not to have your eggs in one basket with finance/lenders (tsk, what would my lender say!)
    All the best!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.