All Topics / Legal & Accounting / This sounds dodgy to me!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of dannii72dannii72
    @dannii72

Hi All,

Last year we changed Accountants as we have moved from WA to Qld. This company was recommended by work mate. Sent tax over to the office rang to see how it was going and there was a bit of confusion as to where our docs were. It turns out the company split up and 3 of the accoutants set up a new company. Our tax went to the new company. Our tax was completed and I paid them. I am now receiving a bill from the other company about 1 letter a fortnight and 1 voice message left on answer machine. Have told the guy who did our tax and he said he would get it fixed. Anyway after the last bill I emailed him & said I was still being stalked. He now reccomends that I pay the bill and he will give us a credit when we get our tax done this year. I am not overally happy about this as we were still debating weather to stick with him, I thought he was abit expensive and not very organised. I am worried about this other bill going to debt collection. So far they have only being sending the bill with a please pay sticker. 

What do you think? Should I take it up with consumer affairs? 

Also can anyone recommend a good accontant on the gold coast! We dont know a lot of people as yet!!!!

Cheers

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

HI there
    when a business likes this breaks up they do have arrangements between the parties as to what happens with debtors

I would think it is an issue for the parties to resolve – not for you to have to pay twice.  Can you send a copy of your receipt for the bill to whoever is sending you the invoice and say if they need to resolve debtors – they should approach the party you paid.

Then at least you have done everything at this stage to resolve the issue – I wouldn't be paying again and if a debt collector comes knocking – tell them what has happened and that there is no debt owing. You would have a very good defence if a debt collector was silly enough to start proceedings against you.

As for an accountant – can I suggest you do a search of the old threads as this question has come up before
    thanks

Profile photo of dannii72dannii72
    @dannii72

Thanks for the idea!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.