All Topics / Heads Up! / HANS JAKOBI – ANYONE USED HIS STRATEGIES???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of BelzgirlBelzgirl
    Participant
    @belzgirl

Have received the Info pack of the Hans Jakobi programe…

Just wondering if anyone has used it and does it work???  I know he talks alot about postive cash flow or something – ie: positve gearing…

Costs $4k for the course… so not sure whether his methods work, looks convincing on the dvd in the info pack….

Anyone????

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

Renabelz,
    4K seems a lot of money to pony up with for course. Of course the DVD will look fantastic, would you expect otherwise?
    Before ploughing in heaps for a course that may have a narrow focus on a few methods, I recommend READING WIDELY.
    Steve McKnights books are good, subscribe to Micheal Yardleys news letter, read Rich Dad Poor Dad series and I am sure there are many more books other forumites will recommend.   If you undertake a course before you establish a general grounding of property investing it will go straight over your head and money straight out your wallet.

I am assuming you are a novice in this area mainly because of your recent membership on this site. If you are a seasoned investor I think that most of these 'programs'  ' boot camps' etc are just rehashing what is in the books. I attended one of Steve McKnights courses and really only learnt that I already knew most of it.  If you are a starter, go to a one day course like Steve's for the $700 range and you will get value.  I was recently told (by another forumite) that Micheal Yardley holds a 1 day course and it was the best thing she had attended, so there you go……

JTW

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Totally agree.
    $200 worth of good books and a few months on this forum and the Jan Somers one will do it!

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there
    I have actually done the initial Hans Jacobi course at a time when we were considering where to invest for our next property.

I know it is a lot of money but I don't regret getting it – because it is not just limited to property investment topics.  The program starts with looking at your structure to buy – in this case property – takes you through the process – including the inquiries to be made and how you do your due diligence.  Trusts are discussed and so are estate planning issues.  Some of the presenters on the program are Dale Gatherum Goss, Dympha Boholt – who are well known in the wealth creation game.  Other presenters were mortgage brokers and solicitors.

Consideration is given to self managed super funds and one of the DVD's is devoted to tricks for young players.  One of the best pieces of information we obtained on the DVD's was how to finance the purchases to avoid cross collateralising your investments.  The final DVD highlights that once you have made your wealth – perhaps it is time to give back to your community.

The benefit for us was that both my husband and I could sit down and watch the DVD and stop it – discuss the issues and see how it relates to our situation.  We have also shown it to family members particularly when talking about testamentary trusts.

The only downside is that a lot of the information relates to the period in the late 90's when it was possible to get a property with a yield of 10% – it is different nowadays and Hans latest programs are more into the value adding aspect of property.

As we already had property, we could claim the course as a tax deduction as it was increasing our knowledge.  We did use the information and have since bought two properties utilising the information obtained.

I do agree you will get similar information from a lot of other authors – but for us – that was a very succint way of obtaining information that you would get from a financial planner as well as people who are in the property side of the wealth creation game.

There is also a lot of other information that comes with the course including checklists for landlords (if you want to self manage) and clauses to use in your contracts – there are also books to read which hopefully give you a positive mindset.

Yes it is lot of money – but those of you who have not done the course – cannot really judge how useful it can be – particularly when you are undecided on your next steps.

After undertaking the course – we set up our own trust structure – sorted out all the wills side of things and had a better idea what to look for to achieve cashflow and how to negotiate to get the best deal possible.  It was actually after Hans course that I got onto this site and the Somersoft site.
    thanks

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

Raddles,
    I am glad that you got value from the course. I still think that reading books and this forum/somersoft are necessary to begin with. Personally I would take the 4K to get good personalised legal and accounting advice directly from a professional accountant and lawyer. Before this I would still need to have base knowledge, obtained from books, short courses like Steve's or Micheal Yardleys that cost a fraction of the price. The checklists etc are readily available from other forumites and books.
    Dunno about this course your considering, I am with L.A. Aussieon this, $200 in books and bounce ideas off the greater wealth of knowledge on this site. $4K spent over time, wisely would go a long, long way. It would also give you the time to soak it up gradually and form your own opinions, develop your own investment preferences and identify your strengths and weaknessess.  I personally would not blow it on one course.
    JTW 

@raddles

Hi JTW
    your comments are noted – but I would say that we easily recovered the costs of the course as a result of the negotiation skills learned – when purchasing properties subsequently.

What I also failed to mention is that if you purchase the course – you also have a personal consultation by phone with Hans – at a time convenient to you to discuss issues of concern – and you also get sent other similar such interviews so you can learn from others experiences.

As I highlighted above – you will get much of the same information from other sources but the benefit is it is in one set of reference material.  The presenters are all accounting and legal professionals who do a good job explaining for example where trusts started and why they are used, the various options with wills and estate planning, how you prepare for a finance application and what the solicitor does when undertaking your conveyancing.  It is just a different medium for receiving the material than reading it in a book. 

I have been to other courses and have not felt the need to purchase any more material given the reference material that I already have.

I do think utilising the forums is a good idea because you can vent your issues or discuss options with like minded people who can raise points you may not have considered.

It does come down to a personal decision and a personal preference how best you absorb material – if you are a reader – yes you can get the other material – if you are more visual – then perhaps this is a good option for you.  I note that I had done a lot of reading of books such as the Kiwosaki books such as Rich Dad, Poor Dad, had read Jan Somers book but still felt that the question and answer presentations in the DVDs were good for someone just starting out.  It was good from my husband's point of view – because he tends to get me to read the material then get me to summarise the points rather than read it himself.  He could watch the DVD's and then stop it and ask questions if he didn't understand the point being made.

I am not trying to sell this course – particularly on Steve's website – but I just don't want someone bagging it from ignorance.

thanks

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

Raddles,
    Glad you got value from it.  I don't think I am 'ignorant' , perhaps cautious, skeptical and tight with my money
    I was trying to give renabelz another view and other options.

JTW

@raddles

HI there JTW
    I am certainly not trying to make any of this personal – and I think you a right to feel cautious, skeptical and be tight with money.

I was just trying to answer the question put by renabelz if anyone has done the Hans Jacobi course and are they using the methods propounded.  As the answer was yes – I was trying to give the author of the question some information about what was included in the course – the down side of the material – and whether it might be worthwhile.

I found the course extremely comprehensive – it took me a solid month to get through all the material forwarded – and I do think it represented value for money.  There is also a money back guarantee if people are not happy with the material.

I note that I have met Hans and his daughter Stephanie at another property course in Brisbane and both are very genuine people.  Michael Yardney and Bill Zheng also Tony Melvin were some of the other presenters at the same course – so I am speaking as someone who has been investing in property since 1987 and has attended courses and read material.

If you look at some of the posts by Michael Yardney on the Somersoft forum you will see that he still pays for his self education and attends courses – and if he feels as if he learns one new thing from the course – then it is worthwhile.  I am of the same opinion.
    thanks

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

I too attend courses, read books and listen to CDs on a daily basis. If you are focused on being a successful investor thats what you'll be.

These courses are neither good nor bad but just a metaphore for what is happening in your own world at the moment. If you do not have a plan and take no action then you will get nothing out of them.

There have been many cases where I have listened to the same CD's in my car on different occasions and have had different ideas come up in my own head depending on what investing strategy I was using at the time.

Whether you see an invaluable resource in jacobies courses or whether you see a waste of money is totally up to you and what you plan to do with the information offered. Remember, a gym membership is a waste of money for most people but that dosent mean that it dosent have the capacity to make you fit and healthy!

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

If you are going to be a serious investor then 4k is not a lot to spend I have no idea how long his course is but I assume it is fairly indepth.  Any training whether it be through a Tafe, University or whatever does not come cheap if it has the worth while material. 

If Steve charged $700 for one day how many days is the Hans Course?  Good information does not come cheap however you can spend the next 10 years picking up bits and pieces all over the place if you choose I guess you have to weigh that up.  If you were to rely on the forum for a quality education I think it would be lacking somewhat.  Yes it is good for bits and pieces however a serious person would seek sound knowledge elsewhere.  Or through Steves books and training

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi. I too have looked at Hans stuff – it does look good and legit – however it is the same as Steve Mcknights stuff (the first two books) in that while the principles and strategies are great, unfortunately they were all  'pre -boom' and finding property that comes close to the types mentioned in much of this material is all but impossible now, except in remote or rural areas – and please anyone who wants to disagree, I suggest you re read the respective publications and info again and check out the purchase prices. Most of the properties are $50k specials – not much of that left. However, buying as wisely as possible and trying to maximise rental income will never go out of date that' for sure. All the best.

@raddles

Hi again

http://www.realestatesecrets.com.au

is the website for anyone wanting to do a compare and contrast.  Wanelad – you will see that what you are paying for represents 543 hours of work to prepare material on 24 DVDs which each run for over an hour plus the additional written material.

I would agree that Hans and Steve have much in common – they are both Accountants by training and are both advocating the positive cashflow approach to property investing.  But both have moved on from the 90's where a property could drop into your laps for a yield of 10%.  I note that Hans book How to be Rich and Happy was first published in May 1998.

It is important to note that both are advocating more creative approaches to achieve the positive cashflow – and both are more into developing property to achieve that end.

thanks

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey all … I have not been on here for a while and it sounds like a age old chicken or the egg debate :o)

I have done a lot of courses and have done Hans' more advanced courses (jumped past the basic one mentioned here)… I simply called up his office and spoke to Han's personally (you just have to take action) to see if I would have actually got any value out of what his first course (even the updated one) had to offer. As I have done most of what he had to teach in it including buying outside of my comfort zone in remote areas…. We were living in Sydney at the time (2006) and I bought a number of houses in NZ site unseen and had used my own common sense when purchasing them.This was all before his  Property Masters course though….

Long and short of it is that those properties are now in a boiling boom of hungry buyers and the returns on my invested actual capital have been over 300%(PA) net. + they are all positive cashflow with gross returns of 10.4 – 14.5% (gross) but now it is time to move some of them and practice Steves (Mcknights)  Divide and multiply theory to quantum leap into the next level. I am doing this (incase some of you are interested) because if I work off the current gross rent return divided by the current sale appraisals… .

the yeild is has come down to 6%,(so my buy and sell rules now come into play)  which is less than what I can make if I was to put it in the bank right now in NZ (7.25%) + I am getting many deals that I am having to pass on as I simply am unable to keep them all…. time to move into a trading and partial holding phase of the cycle and hold some funds for some good deals as interest (mortgage) rates in NZ are now around 10.25%

I attribute part of my success to some of the advanced value adding Ideas I got from the mind provoking and challenging concepts Hans did on his 10 day NZ trip (all on DVD) …. and partly due to me just sucking it up deep and taking the leap of faith…. we all have to do it sometime. :o)…. worst thing that can happen is you get a short sharp pain of cold hard knowledge flowing your way …. but once you adjust and learn to tread water (the more prepared you are the better …. but you can only know so much too eh?)…. your eyes are now wide open under the water, when before you could not see any opportunities because the water was oncedark and forboding…… it is now full of other investors and bargains that you not see if you keep your eyes shut…..
    so open your mind and have faith that this will all work its way out for you in a unique and mysterious way that only you can enjoy the experience……

any way …. back on track here…. I say please yourself…. If you feel you are scratching your head over the whole course thing ….. speak to Hans directly and give him an idea of what you have or have not done and he will give you his honest opinion (he  did for me).
    Cheers and best wishes to you all…. in everything you do
    Kiwi
    http://www.housesolutions.biz

@v8ghia

Great comments Kiwifuller…..and I think you have confimed what I posted earlier when you said ….Quote the yeild is has come down to 6%,
    You have done well using your combination of Hans info, own skill and a few brave pills, and obviously now reaping the benefits. BUT the current yield you mentioned now based on current valuations/appraisels  (if lucky) is generally what new investors are also coming in at – thus making a most of the 'out of the box' 'positive geared' properties virtually non existant without major work, luck, negotiaition, or a combination of all three…..still great in principal though.
    All the best with your proposed changes in strategy!

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hi V8GHIA,

Thanks for your encouragement!

I am still finding deals in good areas in NZ that are in the 9% plus yeild range … and you are right though as it is the art of negotiation that brings the deals + the ability to screen quickly and sift through to those gems that have not appeared on the surface and work out how you can cut buff and shine the gem into a polished diamond. If we all evelop out skills in all apsects of property especially in personal development (Ha… I am one to talk :o)….. and just do it.

Even my own family sometimes say … far out you are lucky….. but when I was begging them to back me in the early days…. they I could not squeeze 10 cents out of them…… now they say (hey if I give you $5 Grand ….. can you turn it into $50K in a year??? …. of course I just say ….. yep … take one of my property courses out of my collection and read that library of 300 books FREE!!!!!…. thier answer …. nah …. too hard. – funny how things turn out….. now if they had said hey can you show me how this property stuff works ….. I would have said ABSOLUTELY…… lets get in the car and go and look at some houses. I did fold once thoug hto show my eldest daughter how to make $1,000 into $10,000 in less than 3 weeks ….. she was so blown away she listened to my next suggestion of putting aside at least 10% of her pay (shes is a student at hihg school) into a well researched mutual fund returning around 16% average to turn the $10,000 I helped her make into more than20 of million dollars  in 48 years compounding interest. (ACTUALLY $27,076,160.72) see for yourself:  http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

ANyway now my brain is hurting …. must be off!!!

Cheers,
     open your mind and prosper …… always ask for help and alway give it back (pay it forward)
    Kiwi

Profile photo of m.pulleym.pulley
    @m.pulley

I think you will find that both Steve and Hans both started their investment strategies after a SEMINAR from Rob Kiyosaki.
    At the end of the day it boils down to putting stategies into place that you gleen from the course.
    If you are not prepared to act on the stategies then there is no point in spending the money or in other words if you spend the money on the course, make sure you implement at least one of the stategies you obtain.

Profile photo of abbruzziabbruzzi
    Participant
    @abbruzzi

I'm just a novice to all this property investing game, but just though I'd put my 2 cents in by roughly itemising the 4k+ that I spent before arriving at a property investment deal that is surpassing my expecttions with regard to growth from outset and future growth due to property characteristics. Bought within my budget and am feeling comfortable with regard to my strategy and goals.

TafeSA – The Property School -Sydney Course $2500
    (7 full day sessions with lecturers being practicing Accountants,lawyers,renovators, brokers, prop managers,property investors one and all)
    3 return flights sydney- brisbane at $200 each = $600
    1 day day Rental car each time @ $100 each = $300
    0.25% penalty for canceling contract during Cooling off period $575
    (well worth it – almost fooled by real estate agent tactics)
    8 months worth of Property Investor magazine = $81
    7 day Round trip Sydney-Brisbane-Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney flights $500
    Rental car for above round trip 4 days $400
    Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-sydney flight $400
    Melbourne rental car and accomodation $200
    Building and pest inspection of sydney property I didnt buy =$700
    Use of Sydney solicitor to get cooling off waiver of property I didnt buy = $350
    RPdata reports for 10 properties @60 each = $600
    Building inspection of Brisbane property I didn't buy = $500
    Surfing this forum and Somersoft forum = free (interactive) (found a good broker)
    Steve's one day seminar $700
    One day seminar with Pickering and Bill Zheng $59
    One Day seminar with Michael Yardney $60
    Patrick Bright, Chris Gray seminar $50
    Other seminars with element of good education but also an element of marketing of product involved =free
    Investment expo entry $20
    Books (I saved money buy reading books in bookstores in weekends and Thursday nights, (Only bought the ones I thought worth buying) bought 5 books at $30 each = $150
    Various Software for analysis $200
    5 reams of paper for printing out properties of interest but unsure of potential $30
    Compact Street directories for Syndey,Brisbane,Melbourne,Adelaide @16 each =$64

Rough total $9000
    (..bit shocked myself to calc this figure for first time, but still smiling because of the inner city property deal (house/land) I just acquired at discount (multiples of above figure) relative to recent comparable sales in area.

Was guzumped a couple of times and booked inspections on properties, I should never have even looked twice at. Put offers in on properties that, now I am glad I missed out on. Missed out on properties that were so right, but was too slow to act and also lost to dodgy agents favouring certain buyers and not passing on my offers.

Now I am hooked! looking for my next deal and any sources of equity. Can't walk past a book store without spending an hour browsing/reading investment and property books. Always keeping an eye on the various markets.

Hopefully a useful insight. (whether it leads to success, I guess in the end, it's up to me)

Abbruzzi

@v8ghia

Thanks for sharing that Abruzzi – with your attitude to learn, and willingness to have coughed up that much to start with you'll do great I'm sure. Some good suggestions there too. Must admit, even though I live in NSW the way in which people can be gazzumped in todays market is a shocking set up. I've seen the odd occaassion where a few vendors are all pushing for their finance 'urgently' for this very reason. Makes it about the hardest state to buy 'cheaply' in my humble opinion, although I'm sure their are some seasoned investors on the forum that do so regularly and successfully……  All the best with your journey and your new purchase!

Profile photo of timeless_soultimeless_soul
    @timeless_soul

Thats a lot of money to be paying, i have looked over the course my self and thinking about getting it just for the knowledge that is offered but still, the intro dvd that i watched about it did seema bit old, but he did mention that the dvds talk about principle not how to do it really so you can apply it to any situation.

I understand that you need to spend money to make money, i have no worries about that but some of the sems that i have seen are crazy. i would rather that the 20k and pump it into a postive cash flow or positive geared property then get a work book and a week long event.

Next month i am attending a two day event in Sydeny, hans is one of the speakers along with many others. its costing me $47 and that is a tax deduction as well, my money is going to charity to get in so its actually free.

There is alot of good information out there, but a lot of it is actually free, sure you need to know your stuff first to be able to sort out the junk from the good stuff but in the end the money that you can save and using the TVM you really are ahead.

Best of luck with the course

Profile photo of TanyaBlackTanyaBlack
    @tanyablack

Hi there

I've read a bit of Han's material and have dealt with him briefly from a Real Estate Agent's perspective and he's a very open and knowledgable guy. 

I'd say, if you've got any questions, give him a call and clarify them to see if his course contains the information you're after.  I've heard some really positive feedback for some of the investors I've dealt with who've done the courses he offers. 

One thing I particularly liked about him, is that he doesn't do the whole "Secrets only available from my course" thing.  He is happy to have a chat with you about your investment style, and drop a hint here and there.  He will tell you straight up if his course suits your style, and doesn't hold off on sharing his information just to make a buck.  I think you'll get more out of a course than will out of a 5 minute conversation, but by speaking with him, you'll get an idea of what he's about.  He came across as a really genuine guy to me.  I'm a fan.

All the best with your property investments and congratulations on educating yourself before jumping in.  I'm a big advocate of having a plan and staying in the game.   There's a lot to learn, but it's a rewarding industry to work in.

Kind Regards

Tanya Black

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.