All Topics / Help Needed! / Quickest settlement possible?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of pasandbecpasandbec
    @pasandbec

Hi,

I will hopefully be selling my IP (in Canberra) very soon and I just wondered if anyone knew what is the shortest settlement period I can ask for… from memory the standard is 6 weeks after exchange of contracts. The house will soon be vacant (no tenant paying my mortgage repayments) so the quicker the settlement, the better.

Cheers!

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there
    we had a 30 day contract for a sale in Canberra – mind you it didn't settle on time because the Purchaser's bank was still sorting mortgage documents when settlement was due
    I reminded the purchaser of the terms – that I could withdraw from the contract or have him pay penalty interest – it was very quickly sorted out from there
    so I suggest you put 30 days down – as that should be a sufficient time to allow the purchaser to make their enquiries and satisfy their lender's requirements
    thanks

Profile photo of pasandbecpasandbec
    @pasandbec

Thankyou Raddles, you've been very helpful. I will talk to my solicitor about making the contract 30 days between exchange and settlement….cheers.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

We have managed to do 10 day settlements in the past. There is no formula, if you are cashed up and not relying on finance then you need to ask how long it would take the vendor's bank to discharge mortgages etc. Some banks are better than others.

If you are dealing with perpertual trustees as the mortgagor, forget quick settlements, their processes are very long and convoluted. We try to avoid dealing with them where possible!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.