All Topics / Value Adding / To paint wainscoting or not

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello

Just looking for opinions on whether I should paint the wainscoting in the hall and corridor of a 1920's house. It's dark wood and makes the hall and corridor look a bit dark but on the other hand, as I am a restorer at heart, it just doesn't feel right to paint it. 

I've never had problems renting the house out till now but as it's in pretty original condition it was always to young people sharing or young families. I'm about to renovate it to achieve a substantial increase in rent so I need it to appeal to people on a higher income level. The house is in Melbourne.

Anyone have an opinion or comment about this?

Thank you
    Elka

Profile photo of chumpchump
    Participant
    @chump

Hey Elka,

I guess you just need to think about your target market.  If you want higher income tenants and if painting will attracts these types, then I guess you answer your own question. 

I can understand your restorer bone being tweeked.  But hey go buy a reno project to restore, and you can be as happy as a pig in mud

Cheers

Chris

Profile photo of annianni
    Participant
    @anni

Hi Elka,
    Have you considered checking out other houses of the same era in the neighbourhood which have already been renovated?  I like to go to open homes or do a search through the net to see what others have done with a house this "age".  I've done this with our own home when looking to renovate the kitchen – get loads of ideas of what works – & what doesn't!  You will probably find properties which have both options – painted & restored – so you can then make your decision! 
    Hope it works out well for you!
    Anni

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

If it is a nice feature, I would not paint it. I have lived in a panelled house and understand how dark it can be. I had lights on during the day. But the silky oak was so beautiful I would NEVER have painted it.

Could you put in a couple of those small skylights?

If you paint panelling that is a selling feature you may regret it. If it is not in good condition, that is different.

Wylie

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you all for your good suggestions. 

Regards
    Elka

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Hi Elka, Try googling it.  There's a nice example of painted wainscoting on ebay.  Also I'm not sure if this would work or if if the product is still available but it may be worth looking into it.  We sanded and polished our jarrah floorbourds with a waterbased polish rather than oil.  The colour turned out a lovely rich red and is a lot lighter than other jarrah floorboards I've seen with the oil based polish.  If you painted the rest in a white colour it may help to brighten the hall up.  Regards, Linda

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Butter yellow works well for brightening up dark halls also.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you Linda. I just had a look on ebay. It looks better than I thought it would. More food for thought.

Cheers
    Elka 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.