All Topics / Help Needed! / “THE INVESTORS CLUB” ANYONE HEARD OF THEM OR KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of diggerdigzitdiggerdigzit
    @diggerdigzit

maybe the knockers are just tired of it., its a pretty old post.

What nail have you hit on the head exactly.

What they teach is pretty standard stuff , what they sell is pretty average stock, nothing sensationally well priced and if your looking for a bargain, look elsewhere. They tend to steer the ship into whatever waters they can find stock in, because you do realise they are not really a club, that they are a marketing firm that sells real estate. Which is kind of funny how the top management crow about real estate agents, because they are real estate agents, real estate agents that charge high fees. They are a pretty average bunch really with a few zealots thrown in for good measure.

As for Real Estate agents and brokers, there are plenty out there that will offer the same service with less costs involved, like all walks of life, there is good and bad.

A few posts back someone mentioned Neil Jenman, well it must be said Neil is as bigger self promoting inflated ego as K.Y. I find his jousting with the club excellent reading, particularly when he is made to apologise publicly to T.I.C. Just be careful where you tread round his white steed, don't want to stand in anything nasty or dent his shiny armour.Neither one should be taken too seriously

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I recall recently reading that the investors club is suing Neil Jenman. think it was mentioned in Jenman's recent email newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of diggerdigzitdiggerdigzit
    @diggerdigzit

they should just put them both in the ring, Kevin Young is short on stature but quite tenacious but N.J does have the reach on him.

Neil Jenman had to post an apology on his website some time ago regarding a bit of a beat up on them that wasn't quite right.

Profile photo of QGMQGM
    @qgm

Just a thought. 

What is all the talk about TIC and the like charging big fees.  If the price of the property is the same for EVERYBODY in the market place regardless of who they purchase through – TIC, Local RE Agent, builder/developer direct –   does it really matter if the developer/builder decides as a marketing advantage  that paying extra money helps him to sell more property?

All that is happening here is that the seller makes less profit,  the buyer IS NOT paying more than market price so please explain all you knockers how you believe the buyer is disadvantaged.

I am not a member of the TIC nor have I purchased from them.

I am an experienced property investor who understands that not all operators out there are ripping people off.  Sure there are those who will take advantage of the ill informed, naive "investors" who don't do their homework, however, in the market today there are many safety measures in place to help everyone proceed with adequate protection.

Do your own market research, get your own valuations done if you are concerned – what ever happened to buyer beware??? 

Participant
    @terryw

QCM

Neil Jenman's argument to that is the TIC claims it is a 'club' and offer free services when in fact they are making large commissions. Does it really matter if the end result is a house no more expensive than others in the area? I don't know!

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of diggerdigzitdiggerdigzit
    @diggerdigzit

QGM,

My gripe with them is i feel they misrepresent them selves as a club when plainly they are not. If they were a club, in the true sense of the word,  they would pass on the profits to the members or lower the commissions they demand so they are not paying the same as everyone else. And the fact is other people outside of the club can negotiate with the developers, some will offer a cash back incentive at settlement to these people but make the contract price the same to keep it all nice and tidy. Fine, let the top echelon make all the money, but don't make a song and dance about how good they are to their members.

They have massive problems with valuations and actually pre empt this by telling members to expect it but don't be put off by it, that's just real estate for you. The in house finance department can get you round that obstacle.So are they paying market price??? I'm sure there are plenty that will argue both sides, but I think not.  And their strategy used to be and i would imagine still is, to push people towards the stock they can get listed for the big fees, not nessecarly where the best place to buy is. Best for the member, I think not. You can go on all day about buyer beware but that is not really the point, particularly the way they do business, and yes people have made money through their buys, they just could have made more.

I am not usually a " knocker"and am in fact quite a positive person, you need to be in life. and if knocker is the worst i get called today, then thats a good day.

BTW, like you I have a lot of experience in property investments and I have also had first hand experience with the club in past times.

Participant
    @terryw

good points digger.

Email Me

Profile photo of Henry JonesHenry Jones
    @henry-jones

I’m in my twenties and not quite ready to invest in property but I’m putting in a solid effort to learn how it’s done and TIC stood out because it offers buyers umpteen free services.   I’ve been to several TIC meetings but I’ve arrived at this forum as part of my due diligence.  They seem great but having never bought a property through them I cannot write from experience.

diggerdigzit wrote:
    My gripe with them is i feel they misrepresent them selves as a club when plainly they are not. If they were a club, in the true sense of the word,  they would pass on the profits to the members or lower the commissions they demand so they are not paying the same as everyone else. And the fact is other people outside of the club can negotiate with the developers, some will offer a cash back incentive at settlement to these people but make the contract price the same to keep it all nice and tidy. Fine, let the top echelon make all the money, but don't make a song and dance about how good they are to their members.

Well what is a club in a true sense of the word?

Dictionary.com offers several definitions and TIC matches two of the definitions:

“A group of persons organized for a social, literary, athletic, political, or other purpose: They organized a computer club”

“An organization that offers its subscribers certain benefits, as discounts, bonuses, or interest, in return for regular purchases or payments: a book club; a record club; a Christmas club.”

Dictionary.com, "club," in Dictionary.com Unabridged. Source location: Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/club. Available: http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: November 29, 2009.

I’ve been a member of various clubs, social, sporting, investing or otherwise.  Some were free, some I had to pay for membership, but very few have shared profits with me!  Sure the Woolworths Frequent Shopper Club gives me a measly $20 voucher sometimes but that’s just a clever promotion to ensure I spend more money at Woolworths, not really a helpful benefit.

Like most clubs TIC uses some of their profits fund all the services they provide, according to this webpage they provide quite a lot freely to members:  http://www.propertyiinvest.com/tic

I was lead believe those services was how TIC passed profits onto members, obviously not in the form of money so silly me…  Meanwhile there are organizations in Australia and around the world charging their members thousands of dollars for similar services.

As for developers, their properties get exposure to a highly targeted list of interested investors and thus increase the probability of selling properties faster.  I'm not a developer so I cannot substantiate whether this is accurate or beneficial to them.  As for the average person selling their property through TIC, my support members advise them to go to a normal real estate agent because TIC works for the buyer, not so much for the seller – unless the seller got has dozen of properties.

Should the people who run TIC provide their time and labour and not expect anything in return? 

I won’t deny I’m biased towards TIC, perhaps attending all those workshops has brainwashed me but it seems if all organizations provided that much for free and still made a profit the world would surely be a better place?  I’d love a bank or telco the equivalent of TIC.

So have I been I totally misguided by TIC?  And for those who say "TIC is good but not the best" please tell me who is the best…

Profile photo of Property GuruProperty Guru
    @property-guru

Mister Phes,

I will be speaking with the founder of TIC tomorrow, I will ask if he will reply to your questions.

Just to let you know I am a member of the club. I have purchased 3 properties with the club, they were sooo helpful, I dread everytime I consider buying outside the club as you are not protected as you are within the club. The services availble to you free are there for the life of the property being in your name. Real estate cannot do that for you. They take their money and run.

Regards,

@henry-jones

Hi Property Guru,

Thanks for responding!

I've met Kevin Young before and will be meeting him again in a couple of weeks time at the annual social event my local support members throw each year.

My questions were aimed at those who disagree TIC is a club or those who have purchased through TIC and have had a negative experience.  It seems only the people with positive TIC experiences shared their stories, meanwhile those with negative experiences either are steering clear or merely alluding to it. 

In order to make an informed option I'll need to know the bad side, not just the good.

Profile photo of Property GuruProperty Guru
    @property-guru

Hello Mister Phes,

If you are seeing Kevin Young I won't pursue him. 

I bought my first property without the guidence and assistance from TIC.  I was in tears, stressed to the max about everything going to plan at settlement. I had no idea what to look for when doing an inspection etc..

The following 3 properties I had purchased were through the club. To me the purchase is a breeze, it is a set price, TIC have got the best possible price, sometimes better than the local real estate could sell it, they assist in getting the property rented etc.

This year my partner and I deceided to buy a house to live in as where I am, it is cheaper in some cases to have a mortgage than to rent. The same thing has happened, 5 years after purchasing without TIC, and nothing has changed. Real Estate are here for the vendor not the buyer.  That is why it is so good to buy TIC properties as you are protected far more than investing out there on your own.

So you would know all this anyway.

If you have not been to the annual conference, the one for 2010 is on the Gold Coast, you should try and get yourself there, then you will understand that it is a club, everyone is there helping others with issues, giving ideas about what they have done to get to the next stage etc…
    I have been to the last 3 conferences, and am trying to get to next years as well.

Regards
    Property Guru

@henry-jones
    Property Guru wrote:
    If you have not been to the annual conference, the one for 2010 is on the Gold Coast, you should try and get yourself there, then you will understand that it is a club, everyone is there helping others with issues, giving ideas about what they have done to get to the next stage etc…

I don't need convincing that TIC is a club.  My understanding of a club is an organisation which you become a member to receive benefits. 

I also acknowledge that some clubs are non-profit organisations while others are commercial entities, so I don't think it  matters if the people behind TIC are profiting from it.  What is matter is they're delivering free education and services that costs thousands of dollars to receive elsewhere.

Property Guru wrote:
    That is why it is so good to buy TIC properties as you are protected far more than investing out there on your own.

Also another common complaint seems to be TIC properties are over priced.  From my understanding TIC only selects properties which are in demand, and when something is in demand its usually more expensive, but the advantage is the capital growth appreciates faster.

So it's better to have one $500,000 property doubling in value every 7 years than two $250,000 doubling every 10 years.  Aside from taking longer to increase in value, with the $250,000 properties you'd be paying two sets of expenses.

Profile photo of MiccaladyMiccalady
    Participant
    @miccalady

Hi all,

I am also a member of TIC and am currently purchasing through them at the moment.  I will be completely honest here.  I have been to a number of their free meetings which are held in every suburb regularly. Everyone has access to them and all you have to do is show up.  The support members are exactly that.  I don't know how many times I have emailed or called my support member and they are always there to help.  My support member is retired and working harder and longer than ever before to ensure the members are receiving all the information.  Basically, they do all the leg work for you.  When you go onto the website to check out their property list, all the relevant information is there at the click of a mouse.  In my current situation, this particular property has been a difficult purchase as it's a new development that has had it's fair share of problems.  Having said that, I am purchasing the property at almost 40% less than one that was sold by an agent which is identical to mine.  This is because the researchers of the club, the support members and the rest of the team have managed to fight for their members and get them a great deal.  This is not the norm but they are definitely there to help.  And I firmly believe that if they are making money along the way, while they are helping you make money – good for them.   Would you want to work 40 -50 hours a week for free?  The properties offered are generally new, lower yields and start off using "negative gearing", having said that they do source out the hotspot areas with good capital growth.  The only thing I don't really like is their property list.  I feel there are too many townhouse, apartment and strata type properties and not enough houses.  These people give their time and you won't pay a cent to attend their local meetings – so why not be open minded, attend a meeting and judge for yourselves.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Simple reason they concentrate on units/townhouses etc and not freestanding dwelling is that the developers who pay them a nice fat commission (Trust me they have market over 100 of my properties over the last 13 years) will not do so on a single dwelling house.

Also ask yourself why the yields tend to be lower, it wouldnt be that the purchase prices are inflated.

As a developer and also financier I see many valuations each week and know as a fact that many of the larger valuers simply will not value up to purchase price hence the reason why Club Loans suggest you cross collateralise securities and dont offer clients a copy of the valuation.

Ask Kevin Young or Sampe whatever name he is using these days when you meet him.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of tropical4817tropical4817
    @tropical4817

Wow Thicknees – 
    generally speaking, some of  the best performing suburbs in townsville in the past few years have been the ones that are way out.   Particularly Bushland Beach and Rangewood.   Interested to find out which suburbs you chose in the end and your reasons.  I am merely interested as someone who is local and looking to invest in my area.  I am interested in other people's points of view (even if they conflict mine).  At the end of the day – it is not only about buying and renting – but about reselling at a later date.

I have no knowledge of TIC, was just interested in other people's perceptions of Townsville.

@henry-jones
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Ask Kevin Young or Sampe whatever name he is using these days when you meet him.

He changed his surname to "Young" because it's a more marketable name than Sempe, but I suppose people without a marketing background wouldn't understand this.  Nonetheless, both Kevin's sons retain the name Sempe and its not it something they're trying to cover up.

Qlds007 wrote:
    Simple reason they concentrate on units/townhouses etc and not freestanding dwelling is that the developers who pay them a nice fat commission (Trust me they have market over 100 of my properties over the last 13 years) will not do so on a single dwelling house..

Like any business its usually more profitable to buy in bulk…

Qlds007 wrote:
    Also ask yourself why the yields tend to be lower, it wouldnt be that the purchase prices are inflated..

TIC focuses on negative gearing strategies for tax offset purposes.  If the properties were too positively geared the investor would be paying more income tax rather than less.  But obviously it depends on the individual's objectives and personal situation as to whether the gearing should be positive or negative.

Qlds007 wrote:
    As a developer and also financier I see many valuations each week and know as a fact that many of the larger valuers simply will not value up to purchase price hence the reason why Club Loans suggest you cross collateralise securities and dont offer clients a copy of the valuation..

Ok, now we might finally have some  legitate concerns!  

• Are you able to provide evidence to support the stagement about "larger valuers simply will not value up to purchase price"?
    • TIC doesn't offer clients a copy of the valuation – even after the client asks for one do they still refuse?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    Mister Phes wrote:
    He changed his surname to "Young" because it's a more marketable name than Sempe, but I suppose people without a marketing background wouldn't understand this.  Nonetheless, both Kevin's sons retain the name Sempe and its not it something they're trying to cover up.

This absolutely cracked me up. I'm actually thinking of chaging my name to Brad Pitt, to help me with the ladies.

But it's true, other legitimate businessmen have changed their name, to be more 'user-friendly'. I think Henry Kaye changed his name. Oh, wait. bad example….

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes i agree Dan,  Richard Gear here.

And Yes i can evidence both copies of registered Heron Todd White valuations (we use them for all of our Developments and have done so for 14 years) and copies of executed Contracts.

Such evidence has been provided to the ASIC on a couple of ocassions.

Oh and by the way you must be having a laugh. Sure the ATO would be pleased to hear this form of marketing …..
    TIC focuses on negative gearing strategies for tax offset purposes.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@henry-jones
    Dan42 wrote:
    This absolutely cracked me up. I'm actually thinking of chaging my name to Brad Pitt, to help me with the ladies.

Interesting you mention "ladies" because a marketer by the name of Eban Pagan operates under the psuedonym "David Deangelo" to market his products and seminars focused on attracting women. 

But more a famous example would the Trumps, I.e. Donald and his father Fredrick.  Their family name was originally "Grump" but Fredrick changed the surname to "Trump" for the exact same reason Kevin change his to Young.

So while you may laugh some highly successful people use the name they believe will increase their level of success…

Dan42 wrote:
    Sure the ATO would be pleased to hear this form of marketing

Personally I don't care what pleases the ATO, so long as it's legal.  I havent invested in property yet and I already offset all my tax.  I intend to go through life paying as little tax as possible and I'll use negative gearing one day, providing its legal.

Anyway, negative gearing exists for the purpose of tax emption and the ATO would realise its necessary for Australia's ecconomy.  As evidenced in the mid 80's after the Hawke/Keating government attempted to abolish it but reinstated it within 2 years after its removal did more harm than good.

Qlds007 wrote:
    Such evidence has been provided to the ASIC on a couple of ocassions.

I've searched the ASIC website and only found two cases regarding a Joint Venture Scehme dating back to 2003.  Here and here

Is there anything more recent?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Mister Phes (if that is your real name), I didn't write the bit about the ATO. All I commented on was your defence of Kevin Young changing his name. It gave me a good laugh. The fact you mention David DeAngelo as a defence of the practice, as well as Donald Trump, amuses me even more.

Thanks for brightening up my day.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.