All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Trading Trust

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Hi i am in the process of doing my due diligence for a business which has been in operation for about 3 years.  I am wondering should i set up a family Discretionary Trading Trust first before i purchase the business? I have a family and 1 PPOR and 1IP want to purchase further IP's also but want to make sure business can sustain profits.  My question is should i use a corporate Trustee for my Trading Trust as i also want to set up a HDT with Corporate Trustee also for future purchases.

Anyone heard from the ATO about the deductibility of interest from HDT. I am reading in the somersoft forums that there is a problem with the DEEDS and the ATO are not allowing deduction of interest 100%

any comment?

or should i hold back until ATO has ruled on HDT it could take a long time though!

Profile photo of trajiktrajik
    @trajik

A discretionary trust may be the ideal structure, and if so, yes you need to have it established prior to purchasing the business.  Definitely need a corporate trustee to provide protection of your IP's & PPOR.

Interest deductibilty on HDT depends upon the deed and your accountants opinion…for certainty, get a private ruling.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.