All Topics / Help Needed! / Buting an investment property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of daneyedaneye
    Participant
    @daneye

We have a combined income of $1078 a week. We are paying off a home worth $380,000 with equity of $120-$150,000. We have $229,000 owing on our home,we have 3 children  and we would like to buy an investment property for about $200-$250,000.

We have minimal debts.

We spoke with our broker and he said either my husband or I would need to raise our income to at least another $330 a week to get an investment property in this price range.

Please can someone explain as I don’t understand why we would need to get that much more income considering we make an average income and have minimal debts.

Thanks

Liana

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Liana

I think i would be looking at another broker with sort of limit advice.

Each lender has its own serviceability model and takes certain elements of income and expenditure into consideration.

The trouble with some brokers is that if you dont fit their niave CBA model they dont want to become creative and look further afield.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

I agree with your broker-you have a combined yearly income of just on $56k and want to take on debt of close to $500k??? Are youcompletely nuts or have I missed something? Plus you have 3 kids to provide for???? Sorry if I seem rude but how on earth do you expect to get by?

Profile photo of daneyedaneye
    Participant
    @daneye

Blogs,

Yes  I understand your point and no we are not nuts, but we will not be paying off the investment property, infact we wouldnt look at anything that didnt already have tenants in it, this would have to positively geared, and no short fall.  I have had many friends get loans through other means and this is why I am asking around to further investigate options, I am not interested in loan sharks that charge the max either, so dont get me wrong.
    In our dealing with banks there is so much red tape that its often hard to get anywhere, if someone came to me with something that meant a calculated risk them maybe we would look into it further. By the way blogs do you have a portfolio just as a matter of interest?

Participant
    @blogs

Danye,

I understand your passion and desire to create a 'portfolio' however you really need to weigh up the risks, your current position and not dreams get in the way of reality. I shoot from the hip so here goes-as it currently stands you would be paying close to $450a week on repayments-doesnt leave much left to provide for a family of five-I dont know how you do it. Now if you did happen to get a 'positively geared' property (good luck) that would all be well and good-BUT you need to factor in two very important factors a) what would happen if there was  a period of no occupancy-how long could you afford to pay both mortgages? and b) what would happen if either you or your husband lost your jobs-wouldnt take very long at all before you would be in deep poop.

Basically what Im trying to say is its all very well and good to 'want' to achieve sucess in property, or in deed life in general, but at the same time I like to weigh up the risks and take all factors into account, and not just do something becase its what the Jones are doing. Hope it all works out for you though and please dont take my comments to heart-I just want you to go in to whatever you do with your eyes wide open-mortgage foreclosures are at an all time high…how did these people get themselves into those positions is somethingthat always has me baffled, and more often than not, actually 99.99% of the time it is due to people buying beyond their means..?

Participant
    @blogs

Ohh sorry forgot to answer your question regarding if I have a portfolio-this is the internet-I could tell you I have 5 or 50 investment properties but for what its worth I do o.k. I read lots, listen even more and have opinions and like to share them-people can take them for what they are worth :) If at the end of the day I have managed to make someone look for a second from the other side then I am happy.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I agree with Blogs on over reaching financially; especially where families are involved. Finding a CFP property is harder at the moment as well.

There are several "non-traditional" loan products around now that lenders and M.B's will get you into without too much of a problem.

Many are designed for people with no or little financials, or people who are borderline for qualifying for traditional loans, or bigger amounts. Add to this Mortgage Insurance and the new loan product can put the recipient in a precarious financial position and should be avoided in my opinion.

Interest on $250k at 8% per year (allowing for fees and another rate rise or two) is approx $384 per week. Most properties of $250k around the traps are going to rent for $250-300 per week if you're lucky. At $300 p/w that's a 6.2% return. I know there are some that are higher, but not all that many.

Allowing for 20% of the rent to be eaten up by holding costs etc per year, which also includes 1 month's vacancy (this is a reasonable estimate for safety), even at $300 p/w the nett rent is around $240 p/w.

Good "on-paper" deductions will close the gap, but not completely I don't think. As you said; you cannot afford a shortfall.

To be really safe, you would want a property that is returning around 9-10% at least, with good on-paper deductions as well to consider a purchase. Highly unlikely, unless you buy in a 2-dog town with no cap growth anytime soon.

If you are really desperate to get into property investing soon, and you want to minimise the risk, consider using your PPoR as your first I.P, and move out to a rental place for yourself. Many people won't do this because of the emotional attachment to their own house, but this strategy can accelerate your financial position and get you into another I.P much sooner and with safety.

It would depend how much rent return your PPoR would provide and whether you can get past the emotional attachment.

Participant
    @daneye

Thanks to those who have responded so far, I am taking it all onboard. I had failed to mention that we would only be looking at an investment property if we can both find extra cash through weekend work, we do know a little bit about this business as we rented out a house in NZ for 5 years whilst living here and after mortgage, insurances, etc we made $10 a week on it, we would need this to be the case here also. We made a large amount when we sold  around the $120,000 mark which enabled us to buy here. Our mortgage is under $400 a week and we keep our expenses very low.
    We also have money put away incase on situations as you mentioned by blogs if a tenant defaulted on repayments we could take care of it. Anyway we dont really intend of doing anything for another 4-6 months or so, but if anyone has anything to add I am willing to hear it, its all food for thought.

Participant
    @daneye

I also failed to mention that we are in our early 30's so we aint getting any younger and we want to get something in order now! does anyone else have any ideas on creating wealth?

Profile photo of sienna1sienna1
    @sienna1

hi daneye,

dont listen to the negatives. i am in the same position to you and over the past 6 months have listened to everyone and found there are ways to do it without putting you to far into trouble. there will always be people that tell you you cant do it but u can.

we have recently refinanced our home to 90% and split the loan into 3 accounts.. all being interest only, one is our home loan and now the payments are $300 less a month (knowing full well that we are not repaying our loan) from advice that over the next 10 years our house price should double, here is a quick run down of what we shall do.

the other 2 accounts is one of $50k to renovate our house for a much needed kitchen and carpet etc and the good things in life, repaying our debts etc. The third accountis for $65k being for investment property… out of that we will use the deposit and to pay expenses, we will also pay the next loan with this money…kaching.

We have been taught that with depreciation of expenses etc we can request the tax office to reduce our taxes based on these figures and that money we can put towards the repayment, this is why we are investing in a new home for maximum depreciation. we paid off our loans so that these can also go towards the investment purchase if required.

at the end of the day after rent comes in and after tax reduction etc we will be required to pay roughly an extra $60 to $100 per week which we will take from the investment loan for $65k which will then be about $25k and if all goes right after about 4 years rent should have increase to take over the payments and also we should have another 4-5 investment properties all generating income.

We will repeat the process as much as we need and buy in areas we think are right. I guess the biggest thing i have had to do is research where we buy and listen to people who have done it before. we are still learning as we go but atleast we know we can do it without heaps of money and as we are your age also want to get a move on.

think positive find a way and brush off the nay sayers.

cheers
    sienna

Participant
    @daneye

Sienna,

Thank you very much! I will look into the options you have suggested, this sounds like it might be something we will look at. My husband is familiar with the areas ready to boom as he has researched alot but when it comes to the finance areas we are still not too sure as we havent looked at what is available.
    I really appreciate your positive outlook as this is the way i think. Where there is a will there is a way.
    Thanks very much.
    Liana

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    sienna1 wrote:
    there are ways to do it without putting you to far into trouble. there will always be people that tell you you cant do it but u can.

Right, you've got my attention. Big rewards, no risk. That's what I like to hear! Woohoo, fire away!

Quote:
    we […] refinanced our home […] interest only […] from advice that over the next 10 years our house price should double, here is a quick run down of what we shall do.
    […]kaching.

There's a difference between rational positive thinking and irresponsible magical thinking. So you had advice that the price of your house should double over the next 10 years. I'd love to hear where you got this advice. I'd also be interested to hear what you did when you heard this opinion. Here's what I do when somebody offers an opinion:

Consider that opinion. If the opinion doesn't stand up to scrutiny or the opinionator can't substantiate it, disregard it. Assume all opinions are false unless they are backed by sufficient evidence. If the opinion relates a future (which is always uncertain) without acknowledging this lack of certainty, disregard it. Once the opinion is substantiated to my satisfaction, then and only then consider staking my financial future on it.

See here's the thing. If these prophets who claim house prices will double every 10 years into perpetuity are correct, I could purchase just one house tomorrow, board up all the doors and windows, then retire in three years (mid 30s). The capital gain would by then be sufficient to pay (using a line of credit) the small remaining mortgage and to replace my wage. Better still, the amount I could draw to replace my wage would rise by 7% per year each and every year for the rest of my life! Sure beats the 3%-5% increases I've been getting lately!

Would this be a wise thing for me to do? Why/why not?

Would this be a wise thing for every singe working person in Australia to do? Why/why not?

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam
    sienna1 wrote:

at the end of the day after rent comes in and after tax reduction etc we will be required to pay roughly an extra $60 to $100 per week which we will take from the investment loan for $65k which will then be about $25k and if all goes right after about 4 years rent should have increase to take over the payments and also we should have another 4-5 investment properties all generating income.

Hello Sienna

I don't want to add to the negativity but really have to ask you this.

Do you really believe that the rent on your residential IP will go up by $60 -100 per week over a 4 year period? Maybe in a boom town but I have never seen such an increase without a renovation in that time period.

I also got lost as to how you were planning to finance the other  4 – 5 investment properties over this time period and why you believe they would be generating income when your first IP is negatively geared.

I'm not trying to shoot you down. I just really want to know. 

Cheers
    Elka  

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

These are my opinions in regards to Foundations comments.  You would need about 10 properties sitting there, not 1.  In  20 years time you could sell 5, pay off mortgages on the other 5 and retire.  I've roughly worked out if you have $1.8 million net worth in property today you could retire comfortably in 10 years.  Anyone agree or disagree?

Participant
    @millions

To answer sienna1's question – It looks a bit tight, especially if you need to spend money on your PPOR also.  I would be doing heaps of overtime now and decide if thats the way you want to live.  I think it would be possible to buy IP now but you would probably have to make heaps of sacrifices to do it.  I also think it would probably be more likely that you would be able to afford to purchase 1 more IP about every 3 years.  I'm no expert, just speaking from my own experiences.  I don't think accumating IP's is as easy as everyone thinks.

@foundation
    millions wrote:
    These are my opinions in regards to Foundations comments. You would need about 10 properties sitting there, not 1. In 20 years time you could sell 5, pay off mortgages on the other 5 and retire. I've roughly worked out if you have $1.8 million net worth in property today you could retire comfortably in 10 years. Anyone agree or disagree?

Rubbish. I could purchase 1 property for $500,000 (with a very small mortgage). This would be worth $613,000 in 3 years (according to mythology). I could then retire on $43,000 minus mortgage payments. This figure would go on rising by 7% per year. All this without renting the house out for even a day! By the time I was 45, I'd be getting $90k pa. By 55 years of age I'd be getting $177k pa. By 65 years of age I'd be 'earning' $350,000 per year for just sitting around. One vacant house is all it would take!

Why shouldn't I do this?
    Why shouldn't every single person do this?

Sure, some would have less downpayment and might have to work a little longer, or even rent the house out. Then what? How great would it be living in a country where nobody had to left a finger to earn money! Am I being completely stupid and irrational? Is there a fundamental difference between my plan and sienna1's?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    daneye wrote:

Thanks to those who have responded so far, I am taking it all onboard. I had failed to mention that we would only be looking at an investment property if we can both find extra cash through weekend work, we do know a little bit about this business as we rented out a house in NZ for 5 years whilst living here and after mortgage, insurances, etc we made $10 a week on it, we would need this to be the case here also. We made a large amount when we sold around the $120,000 mark which enabled us to buy here. Our mortgage is under $400 a week and we keep our expenses very low.
    We also have money put away incase on situations as you mentioned by blogs if a tenant defaulted on repayments we could take care of it. Anyway we dont really intend of doing anything for another 4-6 months or so, but if anyone has anything to add I am willing to hear it, its all food for thought.

First, Sienna said "don't listen to the negatives" and then went on to talk about more positive thinking stuff. That's all well and good, and everyone needs those thoughts, but having positive thoughts and investing with SAFETY are not always a match.
    My earlier post was not negative, but advice based on quite a few years of experience and making mistakes that cost money. I and others are trying to make you aware of the dangers and hopefully steering you away from them.

Second, the money you have put aside for an emergency will work much harder by being in your current loan. Unless it is in an account or other vehicle earning more than your mortgage interest rate, you are still losing money. It is better to have it parked in either an offset account to your mortgage, or in a redraw facility attached to your loan. This way, it is still accessible in an emergency, but you will have a much smaller interest bill every month to have to cover. You may have to refinance to get this set up, but the benefits will outweigh the initial set-up costs very quickly.

Participant
    @millions

foundation – I'm a bit confused.  Would you be living off equity, income from shares/business.  Could you upgrade your car, take holidays, keep up with repairs on your house with that?  If everybody did that the Govt would find a way to tax you to get everyone working again.

@foundation

millions – Nope, just the equity from the one boarded up home. Brilliant huh? It helps to have a large chunk of readily available cash or cash equivalents. And only works if the optimistic prophecies come true.

What's more, the more people that followed my plan (thanks HG!), the less houses would be available to renters! This would make yields rise, stir up investor confidence and push prices to the stratosphere!

Note: I actually will not be implementing this plan. My firm belief is that the cost of capital over the next decade or so will be considerably higher than the returns from debt-backed assets. What’s more, such a plan relies on the ability and willingness of lenders to frequently revalue the house and extend further credit. The assumption that this will always be possible based on the ability to do it now is tenuous at best.

Think about this:
    * If person a borrowed $160,000 against a $200,000 house on an income of $60,000 how would the bank rate her risk?
    * If person b borrowed $320,000 against a $400,000 house on an income of $60,000 how would the bank rate this risk in relation to person a?
    * If person c borrowed $3.2 million against a $4 million dollar house on practically no income, how would the bank rate this risk?

Supposing we have a credit crunch – say a simple slowing of credit creation (as opposed to an actual contraction in credit, which is not only possible but also a plausible future scenario given our current record level of indebtedness). Who do you think the banks would be lending their now limited money to?

Now suppose I told you that such a credit crunch is absolutely inevitable?

I’m not trying to poop in the punch-bowl, just begging people to ask the hard questions.

ka-ching,
    F. [cowboy2]

Participant
    @blogs
    foundation wrote:
    sienna1 wrote:
    there are ways to do it without putting you to far into trouble. there will always be people that tell you you cant do it but u can.

Right, you've got my attention. Big rewards, no risk. That's what I like to hear! Woohoo, fire away!

Quote:
    we […] refinanced our home […] interest only […] from advice that over the next 10 years our house price should double, here is a quick run down of what we shall do.
    […]kaching.

There's a difference between rational positive thinking and irresponsible magical thinking. So you had advice that the price of your house should double over the next 10 years. I'd love to hear where you got this advice. I'd also be interested to hear what you did when you heard this opinion. Here's what I do when somebody offers an opinion:

Consider that opinion. If the opinion doesn't stand up to scrutiny or the opinionator can't substantiate it, disregard it. Assume all opinions are false unless they are backed by sufficient evidence. If the opinion relates a future (which is always uncertain) without acknowledging this lack of certainty, disregard it. Once the opinion is substantiated to my satisfaction, then and only then consider staking my financial future on it.

See here's the thing. If these prophets who claim house prices will double every 10 years into perpetuity are correct, I could purchase just one house tomorrow, board up all the doors and windows, then retire in three years (mid 30s). The capital gain would by then be sufficient to pay (using a line of credit) the small remaining mortgage and to replace my wage. Better still, the amount I could draw to replace my wage would rise by 7% per year each and every year for the rest of my life! Sure beats the 3%-5% increases I've been getting lately!

Would this be a wise thing for me to do? Why/why not?

Would this be a wise thing for every singe working person in Australia to do? Why/why not?

I love it Foundation-you crack me up with how while everyone else is talking pie in the sky you can see reality :) You comments are always welcome!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.