All Topics / Finance / Bargaining the Banks Down & Other LEarnings

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of paul4471paul4471
    @paul4471

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share some learnings/advice from a recent deal I have done. And thanks particularly to TerryW for his sage advice up front on the way to finance this.

I've just bought a 9 dwelling proeprty on one title in SA. As some will be aware this means that it falls into the commercial range for LVR determination by the banks so my first learning is:

1) More than 4 dwellings in the deal seems to be a rule that you'll only get a 70%LVR lend on the property

The most interesting thing that I found was that the banks were willing to neogtiate significantly. NAB my usual bank wanted to charge me $2500 application fee and lend at a commercial rate of 8.3%. I pushed them and they agreed to reduce this to $800 and 8.1%. So then I took Terry's advice and rang the ANZ. They agreed to do the deal on the residential interest rates and offered 7.55% and nil fees. So back to the NAB and they came to the party with nil application fees and a 12mth fixed rate of 7.49% plus the same discount (ie .81% on the variable rate after the end of the fixed period). In the end this was the deal I took. So:

2) The banks will negotiate on interest rates and fees and this can save significant $'s (I estimate on my deal $4k first year and $2-3k per annum thereafter)

The current challenge is insurance (which the banks requrie). I have now found that getting landlord and building insurance is not as easy as just phoningh EBM or AAMI. In fact AAMI declined to even quote saying it was too hard for them. So my final learning:

3) Insurance brokers are the way to go when it gets to this point as they know the market and who deals with these more complicated type deals – and if you have a good relationship with one then their job is too get you the best deal as well as their commission (not just the latter as I have experienced before).

I think that the deal I'll do for insurance will be through QBE but the broker will have done most of the running around on this.

Anyway, hope that this is some use to people consideirng multiple dwelling deals.

Good luck,

Paul

Profile photo of Mama2MiaMama2Mia
    Participant
    @mama2mia

Hi Paul,

We've had some serious difficulties with getting finance for more than 3 dwellings on residential terms so you're right about that….thanks for the post because it sounds like you've done extremely well on getting the rates down to 7.55% or 7.49% for first 12mths!

Well done!

Did you manage to up the LVR by any chance????

Cheers,

Kim

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

3 units on 1 titles would be considered residential.

Wouldn't get LMi on it but 75% would be a standard lend. Could easily be done as a commercial at residential rates.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of allymacallymac
    Participant
    @allymac

Any clue on the best LVR no doc loan going around ?????Anyone!

Participant
    @qlds007

85% – For Nodoc / Lodoc -95%

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I was looking at a block of 15 units a couple of years ago and negotiated ANZ bank up to a 75% LVR.  In the end the deal fell through because the vendor got a bit silly, but the whole experience was a very valuable lesson in negotiating with banks.  The phrase that kept floating around in my head was one of Steve's: "money follows management".

Cheers

K

Participant
    @qlds007

K

15 units you would be able to get 80% with Anz and many others.

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Thanks for sharing your experiences Paul and everyone else. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.