All Topics / Help Needed! / Negotiation technique — the seller likes to stay and rent on the property he/she is selling?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of apanaapana
    Participant
    @apana

Hi all,

I found an investment property in SW Brisbane that I wish to make an offer — my first one (I'm a newbie). Its' a 3-bedroom house, advertised at $270K.

I was informed that that the seller would like to stay/rent in his or her property for about 2-3 months, after selling it.

I'm wondering if there is a good negotiation approach / bargaining offer that I can say to get a good deal for me.

Also, any idea on how much should I offer? I'm thinking of offering 10% discount. Is this realistic?

Thanks for any advise.

apana

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Why not offer a three month settlement with an appropriately lower purchase price. Vendors should see that accepting a lower offer for their house means they don't fork out for rent for the next three months. Work our how much rent they would pay in three months and work backwards.

They may also be more inclined to accept your offer, because the next offer that comes along may want vacant possession, which they obviously don't want to do. It could turn into a win/win for you both.

Wylie

Profile photo of crystalleezcrystalleez
    Participant
    @crystalleez

I'm with Wylie on this one. Offer a longer settlement and deduct the rent they would be paying from the purchase price. This could be a great advantage to you as it means you benefit from any capital gains during that time, without any cost to you.

Profile photo of apanaapana
    Participant
    @apana

Thanks Wylie and Crystalleez for your suggestions.

apana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.