Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of GoldCoastGirlGoldCoastGirl
    @goldcoastgirl
    Can tenants access the TICA list or whatever the list is that lists "bad tenants"?
    If so, does the list also state why the tenant is a "bad tenant" ? Can only PMs (and REAs and Landlords/ladys) access it?

I'm currently renting privately and have been for a little while now. When this property was under a PM, I never missed a payment so I doubt I would be on it just wanting to make sure. Yet I am going to move out by August (yes my current lease expires then) and the # of private rentals on the Gold Coast are not that many (or I am not looking in the right places) compared to ones via PMs so I need to know if anything I have done has put me on a "bad tenants" list.

….then see if I can get the mark over-ruled somehow (is it possible?) if there is one (which there should not be in any case yet I'm just covering everything as such).

Thanks!

Profile photo of CallanderCallander
    Participant
    @callander

http://www.tica.com.au/ See the website. Tenants can access their information and can dispute the information held.

The website is normally only for agents to place information on and usually only accessible by agents.

Profile photo of GoldCoastGirlGoldCoastGirl
    @goldcoastgirl

From the website

By contacting TICA on 190 222 0346 you have access to tenancy advice, dispute resolution, access to information that may be held on you and assistance in negotiating tenancy matters.

HOW TO ACCESS INFORMATION THAT TICA HOLDS

In Australia National Privacy Principle 6 in the Privacy Act 1988 provides that if an organisation holds personal information about an individual it must provide the individual with access subject to certain conditions. Australian tenants can inquire if they are listed on any of the TICA databases and can request this information from TICA.

So it stands to say (from what I read on the website) I can get any and all information TICA has of me if there is any information on me on the database.

Thanks for the help

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

It also states you have to pay to find out if they have information on you.  Is that right?

If someone lodges something against you, and you want to know what it is you need to pay?  I would have thought they would have to disclose information they hold about you for free.

Hmmm…

@goldcoastgirl

Supposedly the only way to get the information for free is to inquire via postal mail and to include a stamp self addressed envelope.  It also might take up to 28 days or some such for you to get the "free" information back.

It's just the like getting your credit report… it can take ages with the "free" alternative or pay a small sum to get the information instantly.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

It is only meant to be for rent defaults where a landlord was left with money owing. Not for tenants that pay late or have bad personalities or where the rent arrears were covered by the bond. Only financial losses!!!

@xenia

You cannot list bad personalities either :)

@goldcoastgirl

That's why I want to contact TICA.

The REA (Property Manager) in charge of the Monaco St property which I had to break lease on (and never moved within) yet still had to pay rent on until they found someone to take on the lease…. I got a phone call from them on Friday informing me that I owe them four extra weeks rent. I stopped paying rent way back when due to the double rent (paying rent on a place I never moved and/or lived within yet still was on the lease – $250 per week plus the rent on the place I was actually living within – $220 per week) was causing me major financial troubles (it nearly bankrupted me).

They only contacted me NOW not after the first week I didn't pay rent … so I just want to make damn sure they havn't put me on the TICA list that is all.

It isn't my fault that it took them7-8 weeks to find another tenant for that property!

They can be damn sure I would never use them nor recommend them when I do finally become a property investor. When will REAs learn that "today's tenant can become tomorrow's property investor" so the way you treat the tenant will reflect upon whether that tenant may become a client of yours in some way.

If I could afford to pay those four weeks rent I would have…. I can't!  I just don't have the money. I'm far from being flushed with cash as between that situation and my life (various other happenings that have sucked me dry of cash and/or affected my earnings since I'm self employed) I'm not "rolling in it"… grr!!

@xenia

Hi gold coast girl, I subscribe to TICA if you want I can check to see if you have been black listed!
     send me an email with your full name, date of birth and drivers license number and I can do a search for you.

@goldcoastgirl

I called the number I have posted in this thread.  I was charged $16.05 for the privelage of phone-ing the number only to receive a message to tell me that all the operators are currently busy I should call back later. It then told me the cost of that phone call and disconnected me.  *shakes head*  That is a rip off!

$16 down the drain … $16 to be told to call back later. WTF?????

@goldcoastgirl

Tried again… it's now 2.30pm (ish).  Same recorded message. $16.50 down the tube. 

I don't have money like this to waste!!!

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ??????

@goldcoastgirl
    Xenia wrote:
    Hi gold coast girl, I subscribe to TICA if you want I can check to see if you have been black listed!
    send me an email with your full name, date of birth and drivers license number and I can do a search for you.

Did that today already via your website contact form I also sent you a PM via these forums.

Please get back to me asap.

@xenia

Hi Girl,

Just got back from Sydney today and your's was one of the 85 emails I answered :)
    Results were sent to you, and I'm sure you will be happy :)

@goldcoastgirl

in gratitude as I appreciate the help very very much.

Profile photo of playboygirlplayboygirl
    @playboygirl

can any one tell me how to get off the  TICA list    one of my kids are on there and i want to try and help them but i dont no how to

Profile photo of tomatotomato
    @tomato

Hi everyone i was just wondering if someone can help me im having the same problem as GoldCoastGirl.. And im on a pre paid mobileand its costing me 20 something dollars everytime. I tried all day yesterday with NO luck wat so ever X-(

@tomato
    playboygirl wrote:
    can any one tell me how to get off the  TICA list    one of my kids are on there and i want to try and help them but i dont no how to

U have to go to Tribunal..

@tomato
    Xenia wrote:
    Hi Girl,

Just got back from Sydney today and your's was one of the 85 emails I answered :)
    Results were sent to you, and I'm sure you will be happy :)

Hello I was wondering if u could help me like u did GoldCoastGirl?? Im having so much trouble :((

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi All.
    Different ways to get removed from TICA.

Firstly you need to know the details of why you’re listed, and by whom.

If you still owe money, I suggest you negotiate with the REA who listed your name to remove your name if you pay the amount listed, or a lesser amount you can negotiate.

If you believe you don’t deserve to be listed there, request the REA remove the listing explaining why. If they won’t, request a Tribunal hearing and orders to have your name removed.

If you believe TICA is acting improperly, you can discuss it with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.

I used TICA extensively as a PM.
    It’s a very useful tool for PMs, and protects landlords and PMs if used properly.
    Of course no-one likes being listed on it, so it has deterrent value as well.
    Nobody wants a mute watchdog with no teeth, except maybe burglars.

It enabled me as a PM to protect investors from bad tenants – like house trashers, big rent arrears, skippers, etc. and when an application showed a debt listing, then previous out-of-pocket landlords knew where to find skippers.
    Also, when well vetted tenants went bad as a very small percentage do, I could protect the REA Licencee and prove to investors that I did all possible to vet their tenants thoroughly before allowing them possession of the property.

One tenant who admitted to being a skipper, and had skipped on my predecessor PM about 3 years previously, rang me to negotiate name removal because it was causing so much inconvenience for them when making tenancy applications. We settled on 75% and I had to investigate to find the person who was the owner of the house during that rental default period because that was 3 owners ago, the property had been sold twice since the rent default, but the funds belonged to whoever owned the property at the time of the rent default.

TICA worked well for me as a PM.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Section8LandlordILSection8LandlordIL
    @section8landlordil

A new website has been started at http://www.tenantreputations.com to serve this exact purpose. There, you can "Grade" tenants and earn a free tenant screening for every tenant submission. Essentially, if you enter as many tenants as you are screening, the service is completely free.

Just thought that this free service might save a landlord thousands of dollars in damage one day.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.