All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Setting up a trust

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of lilyhutchlilyhutch
    @lilyhutch

Can someone tell me how long it takes to have a trust set up?
    I have been advised to do so but need to sign a contract ASAP.
    Thanks

Profile photo of shanshanshanshan
    Participant
    @shanshan

I understand it takes about 2 weeks

Profile photo of lilyhutchlilyhutch
    @lilyhutch
    Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Rubbish a Trust takes about 2/3 hours to set up and would be available for the following day to sign a contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of yasminkhyasminkh
    @yasminkh

Hey Richard,

My partner and I are quite new to this property investing thing and I suppose should have researched a lot more before jumping into this. Anyway we signed our first contract in January this year for a house and land package that is yet to be constructed (hopefully should be finished by July/August), obviously this one will negatively geared. We then bought another property and this time went for a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom villa in a complex which is also negatively geared and now have just purchased our third property, a residential 4 bedroom house.

I spoke to an accountant last week regarding the tax implications we may have and also today spoke to a financial adviser that told me they can't help us with a plan or strategy as I have already purchased the properties. as well as telling me that our future hopes of maybe retiring in 15 years was quite slim based on our incomes at the moment. (I don't get it)

Anyway do you know where we can get info on about buying through trusts and smsf's and what benefits they have, as the 4 properties that we now own are in our joint names and I'm finding that unless I get a job that pays heaps better we have pretty much maxed ourselves out, so where from here.

I would like to know more about Steve's suggestion in his book about going guarantor and how to buy properties but not in your own name so that your not limited with regards to your borrowing capacity. I'll give you some rough figures so that you have a better idea of where we're at.

Own Home: Bank value of $350k, Owing $332,500 at 7.57% with NAB (P & I)
    IP 1: Purchased off plan for $260k, Owing $250k at 7.1% with CBA (I/O), Rent appraisal at $300p/wk
    IP 2: Purchased for $214k, Owing $206,600 at 7.39% with ING (I/O), Rented @ $260p/wk going to $300 in July
    IP 3: Purchased for $335k, Owing $318k at 7.84% with Firstmac (I/O), Rented @ $650p/wk

My Income – $42k
    Partners Income – $43,500

We would love to buy a property here in Brisbane and renovate it to sell and make some quick dollars or even a CF+ property but we don't have enough money to put down as a deposit or even for the legals and so forth. What can you suggest we do?

Anyone at all, if you have any ideas please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps,

Yaz

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yaz,

Keep reading the forums to learn about trusts. But using a trust will not help your borrowing capacity as the lenders will still look at the individual behind the trust to determine borrowing cap. Whether you have $1mil borrowings in your name or in your company with you as guarantor, it is still the same – you are responsible for $1mil in debt.

The only way it could help is if the lender did not require a personal guarantee.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of 99chris9999chris99
    Participant
    @99chris99

How much does a trust cost to set up? And who do you consult to set it up?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.