All Topics / Heads Up! / John Fitzerald Strategy – When to become cash-flow positive

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of monster24monster24
    @monster24

Hi there,

we are in the process of building our first investment property and we are quit excited about that. We have followed some of John Fitzerald's "Seven Steps to Wealth" advice. I really like the concept of adding one investment property every 1-2 years to your
    portfolio. Because our IP is negatve-cash flow (even after PAYG tax deductions) I am wondering how do people become cash-flow positive ?? How can people add negative geared property to their portfolio over and over again ?  I certainly can see the end of our portfolio reached quickly, because after two or three negative geared properties there is no more space to afford more. 

And John does not sell his properties for the first 10 (!!) years ??  Has anyone out there studied his course ? Any ideas how his strategy really works out in a "live" investing scenario ?

Thanks for your comments !
    Thomas

Profile photo of Real2Real2
    @real2

Monster24

My exposure to John Fitzgerald has been as follows:

1/    I went to one of his Melbourne seminars last year,  and had one follow up free consultation.  (not with John)
    2/    I have read all his books and seen all his DVDs.
    3/    I have read his Wealth manual, "Untold Wealth: Sucess from Scratch"
    4/    I have seen his infomercials at 2 am in the morning.

So I think that I have a fair idea of what he is about, and am therefore qualified to comment.

Here is how I see the advantages and disadvantages of his approach.

Advantages

1.   For the passive investor, who is happy for the normal property cycles to run its course, and acquire property wealth slowly,
          the strategy is sound.

2 . From the way it was explained to me,  his organisation has a strict investing criteria, which I believe are sound.

For example, they will only  build 'x' kms from the CBD, there has to be so many schools within a certain radius of the property,
          they wont build in a area that contains more than 30% in rental properties,  and they target areas where large infrastructure
          projects are in the pipeline, and "positive" industry changes are forecasted, and population growth is forecasted.

3.  I like his emphasis on high "land content"

4.  I am impressed by the charity work that John is involved in.

Disadvantages

1.  If you are looking at property as a vehicle to use to either get out of the rat race quickly, then I don't think the strategy is for you.
         This is because:

–  Your relying too heavily on market cycles,   (you can't rely on property going up every year),
         –  There is a limit on how many negatively geared properties you can carry, 
         –  For most people, there is a limit on how much money you can borrow.

The strategy that I would use to get out of the rat race is as follows:

1.  Acquire between 1 to 5 investment properties that you intend to keep for the long term, if not for ever.
            (It is ok if they are negatively geared in the short term).

(You could use the John Fitzgerald strategy for this)

2.  Get involved in doing some short term property trades / renos / etc.   Plough those profits into paying off your
            long term properties, and then you have a choice to leave the rat race.

(You could use the Steve McKnight strategies for this)

As Steve says, if you don't want to be at the mercy of the market, and be told by that you can't buy any more property,
            you have to take control of your situation.

Profile photo of monster24monster24
    @monster24

Real2,

thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. Your strategy sounds good…we'll looking into that type of investment properties soon. I really like JF's approach, however your are right that it could take quite long to generate wealth …
    Anyway, thanks for your comments
    Thomas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.