All Topics / General Property / Uni Students – Rental Investment

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Novo30Novo30
    Participant
    @novo30

Hello All,

I am currently looking into buying my first investment property. I have already purchase a house which I currently live in.

What are the pros and cons of having a rental that is for uni students, as there is a uni near me and I was thinking maybe going that way.

All positive & negative responses welcome, I would prefer to know the good and the bad.

Novo30

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi Novo,

We set up multi-tenancy accomodations (or student accomodations) as part of our property management services. Rather than repeat myself, please have a look on our website, there is a brochure titled "information for investors" that has some information about this type of strategy. Email me [email protected] if you can't find it and I will send one out to you. It is SA specific but you can still get some general ideas from it.

One thing that we have found with many clients is that no due diligence is done before buying the property. You need to keep in mind that it is just a TOOL used to increase cash flow and just like you don't use a hammer for every job, multi-letting cannot be applied to every property.

We have had clients come to us with a 3 Br house in a very high rent area say $350 to $400 per week rent and want to do a student accomodation on it. If rooms can be rented at $150 per room per week, and there are 3 rooms, that is only $450 per week. Then there are furniture costs and utility costs of around $100 per week. That means that they are just breaking even by using a tool that is much more complicated than renting a vacant house to one tenant.

Please always consider what the normal rent will be and only set it up as a multi-tenancy IF IT MAKES SENSE! 

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Novo30Novo30
    Participant
    @novo30

Thanks Xenia for the information I will check out the website.

What about buying a house and renting it as a tenant lease, to uni students though. All my friends say to me there is a risk of them leaving around xmas and leaving me with a empty house. I guess this is same with all tenants right?

Novo30

@xenia

Hi Novo,

If the lease is expiring around December and you know it won't be renewed then you need to market your property in advance to increase your chances of finding new tenants and filling it up again.

Where there is risk, there has to be risk management!

Profile photo of Novo30Novo30
    Participant
    @novo30

Thanks again Xenia,

Novo

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Novo30 wrote:
    Thanks Xenia for the information I will check out the website.

What about buying a house and renting it as a tenant lease, to uni students though. All my friends say to me there is a risk of them leaving around xmas and leaving me with a empty house. I guess this is same with all tenants right?

Novo30

I have 5 students.   Some leave and some stay.  Some leave and return in February.

Whatever rooms I have vacant are rented to Asian students studying English prior to their degrees starting.  Plus I do any work needed over that time.

It works well for me.

@xenia

Simon do you actually let them out of the lease and allow them to come back to the same room?

We don't do that! We tell them that the only way the room will still be available when they return is if they keep paying the weekly rent same as any other tenant, you can't allow tenants to stop paying rent just because they are away on holidays.

Some choose not to so we treat it as a vacancy and advertise the room for rent. In most cases the room is filled again before the students return from overseas, we offer them other rooms if we have any available or they look for something else. Once the lease is over they have nothing to do with us!

I guess because we are a property management company and managing investments for other people, we need to take the harsh line and reduce vacancies any way we can!

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Yes I do. I have a terrific relationship with my students and I like the good ones to come back.

I do allow them to lock their room and leave it over the summer for half price, the ones that wish to move out I relet their room.

On the odd occasion when I haven't really wanted one back I have simply told them so. Think this has happened twice in four years?

I market to a niche market and it works great for me. I don't really like overseas students during the year. I find that I have more trouble with them than with the Australian students. Well my Australian students are a mixed bunch and look like international students. With my students it isn't just all about money and leases. They treat me in a friendly respectful manner and I do the same. I mow the lawns so am over their often and I go in for a drink every time and say hello – we usually end up chatting for 30 minutes. I chivvy them to tidy up and leave the odd $4 cake on the bench. I help them move in with my stationwagon and they invite me to their parties – the one I went to was amazing. They had laid cardboard over all the carpets – 20 yr carpets too.

Sometimes I take my dog and they all have fun with her.

Usually have them over for a BBQ in Feb each year. Sometimes some of them crew for me in my boat … which I sold recently.

Mine probably isn't a good business model but I love it, have a lot of friends and very little grief. I also believe that I get a higher return than most similar setups here and 60% of my kids want to return. Usually they leave over third year as they need to go rural for placements.

When things get back to normal here (building a new PPOR) I plan on replicating the whole thing. I reckon it will be 20% more effort for double the return.

Cheers,

Profile photo of rejoicerejoice
    @rejoice

Pro – party central!
    Con – we don't care!

As a uni student and recently moved out of
    a manic share house… I must say that rent
    was always paid late if there was money left
    over after constant drinking sessions, the
    place was never cleaned, but hey it was
    good times and we didn't break anything.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    rejoice wrote:
    Pro – party central!
    Con – we don't care!

As a uni student and recently moved out of
    a manic share house… I must say that rent
    was always paid late if there was money left
    over after constant drinking sessions, the
    place was never cleaned, but hey it was
    good times and we didn't break anything.

Yep – there are student houses like that too.  I would have lived in one of them if I had been a student !!

Cheers.

@xenia
    Mortgage Hunter wrote:
    Yes I do. I have a terrific relationship with my students and I like the good ones to come back.

I do allow them to lock their room and leave it over the summer for half price, the ones that wish to move out I relet their room.

On the odd occasion when I haven't really wanted one back I have simply told them so. Think this has happened twice in four years?

I market to a niche market and it works great for me. I don't really like overseas students during the year. I find that I have more trouble with them than with the Australian students. Well my Australian students are a mixed bunch and look like international students. With my students it isn't just all about money and leases. They treat me in a friendly respectful manner and I do the same. I mow the lawns so am over their often and I go in for a drink every time and say hello – we usually end up chatting for 30 minutes. I chivvy them to tidy up and leave the odd $4 cake on the bench. I help them move in with my stationwagon and they invite me to their parties – the one I went to was amazing. They had laid cardboard over all the carpets – 20 yr carpets too.

Usually have them over for a BBQ in Feb each year. Sometimes some of them crew for me in my boat … which I sold recently.

Mine probably isn't a good business model but I love it, have a lot of friends and very little grief. I also believe that I get a higher return than most similar setups here and 60% of my kids want to return. Usually they leave over third year as they need to go rural for placements.

When things get back to normal here (building a new PPOR) I plan on replicating the whole thing. I reckon it will be 20% more effort for double the return.

Cheers,

Sounds like an ideal situation Simon, if it's self managed! Not practical if you are managing 65 of them :)

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Xenia wrote:
    Mortgage Hunter wrote:

Cheers,

Sounds like an ideal situation Simon, if it's self managed! Not practical if you are managing 65 of them :)

Yes not a businesslike arrangement at all …. 

But I think I get more than just money out of it. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.