All Topics / Help Needed! / a double murder house cheap???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of gnelsongnelson
    @gnelson

subject says it all, its a 3 brm home ,suburb of melbourne , normally wouldnt look in this area but seems the entire suburb knows the house and has no interest, its cheap but it has a story…..what if the tenants talk to the neighbours they might run etc etc…it will return aprox 10% ..i,m just unsure …any advice??

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Our next door neighbour died in his unit and was there a week before police broke in and took out his body.  Purchaser had to gut the whole house.  Renovated for a few months then rented it cashflow positive.  It went well for her.  Have heard the smell of dead bodies gets into metal, carpet, etc and hard to get rid of.  Are you in for a reno??

Profile photo of rebecca22rebecca22
    Participant
    @rebecca22

I'm still learning but I'm also interested in the various auctions of seized goods which is similar.

I've heard people are put off by cars with a history of violence too but that they can be great deals, usually found in auctions like at the Sheriff's Warehouse in Melb.
    justice.vic.gov.au

We're living in a house that the Family form Hell occupied before but if you say your Light prayers and get the Frankinsense and  Sage rocking, bad energy be gone.

You almost need a bit of a Feng Shui certificate,  a guarantee of an emotional etheric rehab of the atmosphere or perhaps put it under contract and pass on to a Goth Investor ?

I know this place is fine now so I would play down the before-the makeover scenario.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I say buy it. After some time the reputation of that house will die(whoops bad wording). And when you sell, prospective buyers will generally only want to know about the current owner not the one before that.As for neighbours blabbing. Im sure they want the house sold too as it will affect there house prices also.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

You will be under obligation at all times to disclose the history of the house. Please keep that in mind if you want to rent it or sell it down the track. If information such as a murder history is not disclosed any contracts signed over the house can be rescinded by a court.

Also, the stigma here is a murder which is very different to someone dying in a house naturally, the later would not normally be a problem. Deceseased estates are sold with no stigmas attached all the time.

Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

A person committed suicide in a magnificant old home across from where I work (also suburb of Melbourne). The tradies have been in painting, tiling etc for a few weeks now. Just waiting for the "Auction" sign to go up any day now. Have seen a few people that look like agents hanging around. 

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hey Gnelson,

Not to sound rude,
     But  at the end of the day it is just a house, i would go for it especially if the price is right, clean it up a little and make some money off it!!!

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Why don't you do a poll to see if anyone would live in a house under these circumstances.  Also, what is the vacancy rate for this suburb?  Would you consider renting it for less and be prepared for a possible longer vacancy.

Profile photo of Opportunity In EverythingOpportunity In Everything
    @opportunity-in-everything

I was very put off by the history of a property I intended on bidding and so was everyone else it seems no one at the auction.  A quick google search had all the details of the property and it also seems this sort of history sticks the property is still vacant.

I have purchased  a number of deceased estates many times with the beneficiaries present at the auction which is a very different proposition to criminal activity and or murder where the only remaining member of the family is in prison some day to be released.

So I guess if you are looking for a bargain you won’t be in competition with the likes of me I like to sleep well at night.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

People are dying everyday all over the place. Probably most places have had at least one death in them over the years. One of my tenants even died recently  – of natural causes, in the house too I think. But I guess a murder is different. It would be a bit scary living in a place with a ghost, but but most people would gradually forget about it as time progresses.

Xenia, I wonder how long you would have to keep on disclosing this sort of thing?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

Yes Terry I was wondering that as well and surely you would not have to advertise it?  I would have thought it would only be if the question was raised, and I cannot say that I have ever asked before buying a property, or is the case it has to be mentioned anyway?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Wayne

There was that recent case in NSW where an agent sold a house where one son of hte family killed his parents and a sister (gozales family). The house was sold to a Taiwanese couple who where from out of town and not familiar with it. They were also superstitious. They eventually found out and sued the agent. Think the received a large payout too.

I think it was ruled the agent has a duty to declare this sort of information even if the topic isn't brought up.

But how long should this be disclosed? What if the next purchasers sell the house 5 years later etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of attrillattrill
    Participant
    @attrill

Perhaps if it sits around for long enough you may get it for less than land only price, then knock it over and start again.

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

And then believe it or not, there are some ghouls out there that love the sound of gruesome murders and such and the chance meeting with ghosts who would love to rent your house.

If you're superstitious you could always get a priest to excercise the demons.

I say if it's a bargain go for it.
    milly

Profile photo of attrillattrill
    Participant
    @attrill

I just got back from the UK and stayed at a friend's place that dates from 1200AD. Wonder how many people have died in there?? Also in the UK the West's house was demolished (but victims had been buried underneath) and a McDonalds in th US was demolished after a shooting spree. Sorry to sound morbid, but I think it would be many years before enough people moved away from the suburb for it to be forgotton about.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Wylie

Profile photo of ProfusionProfusion
    @profusion

I think I may know this property.  If its the same one then – it is quite close to where we live and is also on a main road across from shops, the local high school and the pub.  You are right in thinking that everyone knows about it.  This is especially so because it is on a main road that gets traffic from several surronding suburbs and is quite distinctive in appearance.  I'm sure the local high school kids and pub fraternity will keep the story alive.  The block of flats next door is where the muderer lived and I think that any tenants would find out the details pretty quickly.  I don't think that any locals would want to buy it or live there. It's a case of location location working in reverse. Its been on the market for ages.  I feel sorry for the victims parents, who apparently own it (although local rumour was that it had been sold – think this may have even been reported in the local paper.) 
    I'm a complete newbie at this so there may be wiser heads out there who advise otherwise, but personally I'd avoid it. 

Profile photo of chpropdevchpropdev
    Participant
    @chpropdev

I live in a house (a pub) where a murder took place.  Love it to bits.  Adds loads of character.  The only difference is that the murder took place in 1828 (Bushranger versus landlord – guess who got decapitated?)!  The people around here still know the story.  So, if you can wait a couple of hundred years then go for it!

Almor.

Profile photo of SteddiSteddi
    @steddi
    Tara30 wrote:
    A person committed suicide in a magnificant old home across from where I work (also suburb of Melbourne). The tradies have been in painting, tiling etc for a few weeks now. Just waiting for the "Auction" sign to go up any day now. Have seen a few people that look like agents hanging around.

Are you sure those  people "HANGING" didn't look  like the the person who committed suicide????
    Went through a revolving  door  in the afterwold and came back by mistake as 2 unheavenly bodies.
    Just trying to lighten things up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers

Profile photo of JaneLangofJaneLangof
    @janelangof

"Space clearing" can be carried out to help clear unfavourable energy from previous occupants, however this may not always be effective.  Personally I would keep away from properties where serious crimes or tragedies have occurred, as this is likely to be reflected by the house having challenging Feng Shui.  If you were serious about buying a property like this I would advise talking to a Traditional Feng Shui consultant before making the investment.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.