All Topics / Value Adding / 2 questions.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

Two questions.

1. As an owner builder how many properties can i build per yer? (is there a limit?)

2.Does anyone know what type / timeframe of experience is need to apply for a master builder licence ?

"It's not how much money you make, It's how you spend it that matters."

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Giulio

In NSW, I think they limit you to 1 owner built property every 5 years!

I'd be interested to know the answer to your other question too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

im   in melb and found out that  its 1 every 3 years here, still not sure about the 2nd question.

Profile photo of DejDej
    Participant
    @2

Hi Giulo
    I am an owner builder in NSW and it is every 6 years.

Anny

Profile photo of peterthebuilderpeterthebuilder
    @peterthebuilder

Hi Giulo,
    Q 1, sorry Anny, in NSW,  its one O/B permit issued every 5 years.

If you sell an O/B property within 7 years you must provide Home warranty insurance for the sale contracts to be written up.

Q2. There is no such license title called "Master Builder". In NSW there is 3 licence classes, A, B, and C.
    To quickly summarise:

C Class licensed holders are able to build up to 2 storey buildings and small strata titled developments, dealing with spans of steel and concrete not over 7.5 meters.

B Class holders are able to build up to 3 storey and medium size developments.

A class holders are unlimited in size, height and type. (similar I guess, to "master builder")

There are 2 Options to obtain these licences.
     Opt.1, you must  complete a TAFE or Uni Course of Advanced Diploma of Building (approx 4 years F/T) study.
    You can opt out at stages of the course with Quals for "C" class ( equivalent to Cert 1V approx 2 yrs F/T) "B" class( 3 year's F/T) and so on, which then gives you the theoretical component of the Qualification.
     The hiccup  for some is,  depends on what you plan doing with the Qual. If you plan on doing the physical on site work yourself you need to have at least 5 years on site practical experience to convince the Licensing authority that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to perform the required tasks involved to meet compliance.
    The authorities will not just issue License to any body, just because they have obtained a Certificate 1V in Building and Construction. 
    Otherwise if you plan on being a sort of Project Supervisor and using your License Number on the development application , and therfore employing other people with the necessary skills to do the physical elements, due the lack of  your site experience, this may allow the issuing authorities to allow you to proceed with your application.

Please note though as part of the issuing of the license you have to provide evidence of all claims to meet the criteria for the issue of that License, including your status of financial security and also your ability to manage that aspect of the project/s.

Opt 2 is having minimum of 8 years on-site construction experience and then applying through TAFE or Industry Training Organisations (in your state) and sitting a rigorous exam set to meet the standards of that particular class of License.

The cost of applying for the exam is approx min$500-$600 depending on resits (2 allowed) etc.and still no guarantees you will be issued with a license by the authorities.

I hope I haven't waffled but it can be complicated, may I point out this information is relevant to NSW, but similar systems are in place in the other states..

cheers
    peterthebuilder

@property-passion

Peter thankyou for the infomation in regards to the building licence, it has been very helpful. Like you said there is a hic cup in the process and i wont qualify because of my on site experience. I will be building this house and should take some time, that in itself will qualify for on site experience, but what do i do after that ?

The one O/B project every 3 years really puts me in a pickle. I would still be able to do a project supervision  type role wouldn't I? Organizing the development and employing others to do the labour. The thing is that one day id like to be doing developments for clients for an income, and without a licence i cant do that.  

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hello Property Passion,

I am a Builder in Vic, I recommend you go to either the HIA or MBA and do their certificate IV in Building and construction management as outlined by peter. This course will take you 1 yr part time. That certificate is the most simplified and quickest way to get the academic requirements required by the building commission on Vic. You will then need to be able to show at least 3 yrs minium experience of on-site work. Building 1 house as an owner builder even if it takes 3 yrs won't be enough to pass the commissions requirements. I recommend you also call the Building Commission firstly and ask them to send you out an application package to become a registered builder. That package will outline EVERYTHING you need to know, have and have done to gain registration. Then after you send all the required paperwork and forms there is an interview with the building commission that takes between 3-5 hrs and if you pass that and have all the requirements they will make you a registered builder (maybe).  Have you evert thought of finding a registered builder and making an arrangement with them so that you are the developer and they are the builder???
    I can explain more on that if you'd like??
    Hope this has been of help?? 

Luke

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, I'm very interested in building but my interest & inclination leans towards design & I find that I read plans & understand building requirements fairly efficiently. I'm also able to tell by looking whether a tradesman has done the right thing by me.

Therefore, I'm not unhappy to be a "developer" & employ other people to do the work.

It would take far too long for me to get builder accreditation even if I'm capable of doing the building itself, which is extremely doubtful.

Have you considered going to a "spec home" builder? They're a good option if you're thinking of building homes to sell.

For further info for you to consider, I'm on the verge of finishing my first ever building project. I'm a lone female with NO HANDYMAN SKILLS.

However, I've since realised that the risks are very real. I'm fortunate to succeed in my first venture into building.

I wish you the same success. Don't give up. I'll share with you that success is largely due to my belligerence & of course the comfort of some money from earlier investments.

Good luck,
    Kum Yin

@property-passion
    locco wrote:
    Hello Property Passion,

I am a Builder in Vic, I recommend you go to either the HIA or MBA and do their certificate IV in Building and construction management as outlined by peter. This course will take you 1 yr part time. That certificate is the most simplified and quickest way to get the academic requirements required by the building commission on Vic. You will then need to be able to show at least 3 yrs minium experience of on-site work. Building 1 house as an owner builder even if it takes 3 yrs won't be enough to pass the commissions requirements. I recommend you also call the Building Commission firstly and ask them to send you out an application package to become a registered builder. That package will outline EVERYTHING you need to know, have and have done to gain registration. Then after you send all the required paperwork and forms there is an interview with the building commission that takes between 3-5 hrs and if you pass that and have all the requirements they will make you a registered builder (maybe). Have you evert thought of finding a registered builder and making an arrangement with them so that you are the developer and they are the builder???
    I can explain more on that if you'd like??
    Hope this has been of help??

Luke

Will being the developer and using a registered builder quailfy as expirience?  Im calling the building commision about the application kit today, so hopefully this will give me some insight on the situation.

@peterthebuilder

Hi Giulio, Luke,
    yep Luke you are right, I did forget to mention the HIA and MBA options.
    The catch here is you have to be a registerd member of these organisations to qualify for the course and here in NSW you can only qualify if you have a trade qualification, as the course  is a "short cut course" its assumed there is previous knowledge and experince.
    cheers
    Peter

Profile photo of LandLand
    @land

Hi Pete the Builder,

I posted another topic today regarding finding a builder in Sydney to undertake the construction of a dual occupancy development in the Bankstown area in Sydney. My partner and I are both town planners and I actually worked for Bankstown Council for quite a number of years approving many dual occs. Anyway, we have all other aspects sorted out, but the difficulty seems to be in locating a good builder in Sydney to undertake the work for us. Do you do this kind of work or can you recommend anyone who could?

Thanks for any assistance.

@peterthebuilder

Hi Land,
    sorry for delay responding.
     Unfortanately I am country NSW and not in contact with any Sydney builders on a regular basis to recommend anyone.

good luck,
    Peter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.