All Topics / Help Needed! / Block: To sell or not to sell that is the question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of SavySavy
    @savy

Hello everyone

I have a little predicament. I bought a house in north east of Adelaide cbd about 15kms out with my sister at the age of 21 in 2004 for $205,000. In 2005 the house unfortunately burnt down due to an electrical fault. Once the insurance was paid out we had a total of 60 thousand dollars left on the loan.

Since then I have been trying to sell the block valued at $150,000 but because the block is situated on a main road and sub dividable only with 2 two bedroom houses only with council and Transport SA approval.  It is been nearly 2 years that it has been sitting there untouched.

At the moment it is under contract to a developer subject to the approval for only $120,000. This contract has been active since the end of December 2006 and I just found out that it will be another 8 weeks until a definite answer on the approvals are issued.

Since then I have used $20,000 equity for personal things and moving interstate (the Gold Coast is great). My sister also has used $20,000 to buy a house she currently lives in.

On the valued block that leaves a total of $50,000 dollars of equity left.

My question is whether or not to sell the block at a cheap price just to get rid of it or use the remanding equity to purchase another investment property even though the block is costing me money to keep.

Thanks Savvy

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

How much capital gains tax will you be up for?

Profile photo of SavySavy
    @savy

hi Foundation

I lived in the house for a little and used my home owners grant so i will not be paying any capital gain taxes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.