All Topics / Help Needed! / Where should I buy in Sydney (Parramatta)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of meganthomasmeganthomas
    @meganthomas

Please Help!  My husband and I are moving from SA to Sydney (Parramatta).  We are looking for a town house between 350-400K.
    We desparately need to know what are the Good Suburbs to purchase in, near Parramatta and also the NO WAY do not buy in suburbs.
    Any information would be very greately appreciated!!!

Profile photo of hangingupsidedownhangingupsidedown
    @hangingupsidedown

Hi there, I am actuall from the Parramatta area so I can give you some tips of what each surrounding suburb is like. You said you would be moving there, so this advice is for someone who wants to live in the area……

North Parramatta is quite a nice area, it is close to the Parramatta CBD, leafy and quiet. Depending on the street, it is also has a quite a lot of character and well taken care of old historical homes. Buses and short walk to Parramatta trains. I would highly recommend North Parramatta if you want a townhouse in that price range and you would like to be walking distance to work (if working in Parramatta).

Parramatta itself can be hit or miss depending on the neighbourhood. My boyfriend lives on the South side of Parramatta (towards Merrylands) and he likes it. He walks to work and is close to everything- train, shops, major roads. If you want to buy in Parramatta itself, just check out the street to get a feel for it. Most neighbourhoods are actually pretty quiet (as long as you aren't right next to a main road).

Merrylands is where I have lived all my life. It is a multicultural area, lots of quarter acre blocks and a fair few townhouses as well. I would recommend staying away from anything right next to the train station or train line. I would recommend the west of Merrylands towards Greystanes.

Greystanes is a nice area, lots of homes on blocks and townhouses, no units at all. A bit further away from the train (nearest is Merrylands).

Oatlands is an area right above North Parramatta. A fair bit more expensive than the other areas, it is a very nice area, very leafy and more exclusive than suburbs south of Parramatta. No trains.

Harris Park is not bad, it can be a bit run down and a bit on the dodgy side depending on the neighbourhood.  You can find cheaper housing that is still walking distance to the Parramatta CBD though.

Westmead is a suburb dominated by the large hospital and medical community. A lot of units of and townhouses, also good public transport. Again, check out the street before buying to get a feel for it. You can walk through Parramatta park from Westmead to Parramatta which is quite a nice stroll.

Rosehill/Camellia/Rydalmere are industrial suburbs mostly.

Ermington has a lot of housing commission, not an area I would recommend.

Granville is very multicultural, good trains and buses, a bit rough and run down in parts. Cheaper housing. I would stay away from South Granville.

Northmead is a lovely area, lots of nice houses and families. Very quiet. Green lawns, family homes. Only issue is no trains, some buses.

You can also look a bit further out, such as Carlingford or Winston Hills…both areas are generally  full of families and well taken care of homes. The only issue I would find is public transport.

Hope that helps!

Profile photo of meganthomasmeganthomas
    @meganthomas

That you for the time and effort for the message regarding moving to Sydney, it is very much appreciated and will be of great help to us, so thank you once again!!!

We are still open to many more opinions on this subject, as we plan to come over soon for a week and sus out these suburbs!!

Thank you very much in advance to anyone else who is able to help us.

Megan Thomas

Profile photo of Pro-ActivePro-Active
    @pro-active

Upsidedown has given you a great rundown there- great work!!

Hi Megan :)

If you've never been up here before, use your week wisely and take a good look at your priorities BEFORE you arrive for your reccie trip, so that you can narrow down your choice of suburbs.  Parramatta and surrounds is a huge area of Sydney, and so we really need to know the following to help you here:

1. How important is transport and proximity to Parra CBD itself?  Do you need public transport?  How far from Parramatta are you prepared to live?

2. Besides your price range, what are your needs family-wise?  Do you need to be close to shops, schools, community facilities etc?  What type specifically?

3.  Are you prepared to renovate or do you prefer something newer?  What's your style?

I know Parramatta and the Hills District very well, having grown up, been schooled and currently working in these areas.  As a BA it's my job to help people (often such as yourself) to locate the right property, for the very best price and terms possible in the current marketplace. 
    What I can tell you is that Parramatta was recently given a terrific growth forecast by John Edwards (head of Residex) of having 13% future annual capital growth.  It's an expanding area, and is beginning to see more interest from investors as they realise the low price entry for a big city like Sydney.  Because it's also known as Sydney's second CBD it's a popular area for business as well as first home owners.
    My picks are actually in the surrounding suburbs of Northmead, Winston Hills and Baulkham Hills, in particular.  Transport generally isn't an issue, as most of the townhouses in these suburbs are close enough to the main drag of Windsor Rd, which has buses directly into Parramatta on a regular basis.  You can also catch the bus into the Sydney CBD though Parramatta's train line does make it a popular choice for renters for this reason.  I prefer buses myself, as long as they're on time!! :)

Anyway, hope this helps.  Good luck with your trip and let us know how you go….

Oh, another "nice" suburb close by (but not with the best transport) is North Rocks. 

Have fun!

Profile photo of hangingupsidedownhangingupsidedown
    @hangingupsidedown

Pro-Active makes a good point in the last post, what exactly is important for you when you do move? Transport? Proximity to the Parramatta CBD? Type of suburb? Other things?

It is really important to get a feel for the different suburbs. The areas surrounding Parramatta are vastly different depending on which suburb you are in.

However, If you give us a breakdown of MUST HAVES we can perhaps narrow the field down for you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.