All Topics / Overseas Deals / Exiting the Buffalo Market

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

It seems the Buffalo market was a hot spot a few years back and then it went cold with financing and PM problems. I am wondering how people have gone about getting out of the market as it seems quite a few people have done. Was it easy to sell up, did you recover initial outlays? What is the best way to get out if the need arises?

Thanks

JJ&Jo

Profile photo of csimonscsimons
    Participant
    @csimons

JJ&JO

The best way to get out is to probably sell it through a good agent. I am doing so with mine at the moment also.
    Did you pay retail for your properties? Depending on there condition and how long ago you purchased them will all depend on what you can get for them.

Also you have a better chance of finding an owner occupier at retail prices if its a single family as apposed to a duplex.
    My first property purchase in bufallo was a retail purchase. It was a single family home which i paid $39k for and it is on the market for $45k so as you can see there is not much in the game.

We have had to do some repair work on this home as well so once all is said and done, we will definately be making a loss on this home.

I think anyone buying retail in this market need to be 100% sure the home is in sound condition.
    As i have said many times before, to make this market work for you, its essential to buy properties under market value.
    Buy homes that need some rehab work and then rent them out. Thats what the locals do. Local investors do not buy retail in these markets.

You need to create it so that your ROI is at least 30% gross and above. Taxes are high, tenants are vulnerable and maintenance can also be high.

I am still making money here but i am doing it with a local and i have an excellent property manager that i found myself "

For Aussies though without the contacts, i recommend to stay away from this market or if you are going to enter it, make sure you dont pay retail "because you dont need to" do your numbers on a minimum 30% roi also otherwise you will probably end up losing in the long term.

Now that i understand this market in great detail, I would advise people to spend time on the ground there and developing there own relationships. Its definately not a market in my opinion for the light harted and its a very difficult market and lots of things to contend with for the returns you get.

I will continue to do a couple of flips pet year over there with my friend who lives there, but thats about it. If it wasnt for that relationship I would stay away for sure.

Long term you would do better buying in Australia than over there if we are talking paying retail.

Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

Chad
    Thanks for the info. Yes, we paid retail with about a 20% gross ROI. To be honest we have been reasonably lucky with the returns though we were hoping for better. Financing was the hardest nut to crack. That took over a year and I still feel we were made to jump through hoops for big fees.

Cheers

JJ&Jo

Profile photo of li21li21
    @li21

Hi CSIMONS.

I am in the same boat.
    I currently own a 5br single family home in Lockport NY (near Buffalo and Niagara Falls).
    Im looking to sell to fund my own home purchase.

I originally purchased it from Genesis REI several years ago and have listed it with their "For Sale By Owner" website and posted links to my listing on several message boards.
    i dont know any good agents or anyone that  wont charge huge amounts for upfront  fees.

Can you recommend any one that can help sell it quickly ?

Any help apprecaited:
    email: [email protected]

cheers

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Funny isnt i. All these purchasers who bought through Genesis and now want to sell up quickly.

Of the 60 + loan applications we processed throughout NY State i would say over 80% of them where the buyer bought through Genesis or associated marketing company did not value upto the original purchase price.

Chad has worked tirelessly over the years developing his US contacts so dont expect anything for nothing these days. I am sure if you are happy to pay a listing fee then he can introduce you to a suitable agent.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Cory RobertsonCory Robertson
    Participant
    @cory-robertson

I bought through Chad Simons and now I need to sell up quickly as well.

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hi guys,
    thats a shame that overseas has not been positive for you. it  can certainly be very difficult to keep properties maintained/managed from over here,i can vouch for that definately.

Cory , thats no good that you are having a few battles! I know Chad well though and know his no1 goal is to do his best to look after people. i know that he only charges a small fee to customers to get them into undervalue properties .It is definately our
    (as buyers)responsibilty for the ongoing management of the properties,which i know is easier said than done.(especially from the other side of the world !)
    Let me know if we on the forum can help you man.

I know Steve you bought up fairly big in buffalo in the early days it would be great to hear how you guys went about exiting from that market.  Care to share ?

kind regards

luke

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Participant
    @cory-robertson

Hi Luke,
                    All of the problems were caused by Chad Simons and his US partner when they did the rehab on my property and this has nothing to do with maintained/managed.

Since the property was rehabed by the above parties about 18 months ago I have spent every cent in repairs to this bursted arse property. Around about $15,000.

You can say again that overseas has not been positive for you.

I have got myself a great Property Manager over in Texas who if it was not for him I would not have any idea where I would be rinth now.

You have spoken to my wife about the dealings in the past (Jo)

Regards,

Cory

P.S. I have know Chad Simons for 8 years, so how well do you think you know him?.

Becarefull out there.

Participant
    @world-changer

On the buffalo subject,
    I advertised a couple of mine on the local buffalo investment club website.

It is http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/nyccf_buffalo/
    It may be worth a go for u guys??!!

Woo    , Corey that sounds pretty serious mate. It sounds like a few issues there man,I definately feel for u man !
    I cant comment specifically on yr situation but what its worth i do know the lengths Chad goes to ,to please people.The guy has a huge heart for every person he deals with,and his ultimate heart is to help desperate people in Africa  So anyway heres probably not a good place to go into it without all sides to the situation but if you need to offload yr property i can give you a realtor who may be able to help.
    PM me if u want his details.

Luke

Email Me

Participant
    @cory-robertson

Hi Luke,

WE are trying to off load this property ASAP but still have some work to do to fix up the problems that have been caused during the rehab. I have somebody over there taking care of that for me.

I'm looking forward to getting the hell out of Texas and looking around back here.

Chad goes to great lenght, they are not all the right ones. Us you say there is only so much you can do from over here and this should be remembered when dealing with people over here.

Just remember that great intensions pave the way to hell and are not always what they seem.

Regards,

Cory.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I bought wholesale and still done me arse!!!

Broke even in Buffalo, lost in Rochester

If anyone knows how you can offset a foreign loss against oz income then please let me know

Couldn't get out quick enough as Murphys law was created in WNY

Two other seasoned investors I know have tried to weather it out but both now are looking at getting out

My advice is not to spend any more money on anything as you will never get it back cut your losses and sell as is

Think of it like buying shares and selling them at a loss if that helps

Genesis I know them well and unfortuantely I was the one that introduced them to a bird dogging company in Jan 05 who introduced them to the oz market and the rest as they say is history

I never bought from them as I knew they were selling overprice and I was surprised how they marketed in oz as being safe and secure and guaranteed yields, and investors actually paid for the service.  I also never got any kickbacks either.

Participant
    @bardon

try this lady for selling in Buffalo she doen't work for polis anymore I know she is still selling as another mate of mine told me he had tracked her down

Kim Panzarella
    Polis Realty Group, Inc.
    5727 Main Street
    Williamsville, NY 14221
    office: 716-929-0100
    direct line: 716-961-7630
    fax: 716-929-0101
    cell: 716-861-0378

the guy I used in Rochester is a fire sale guy he is very effective but doesn't sound like you are that desperate

Participant
    @world-changer

Hi Bardon,
    good to hear from you man !
    Spewin yve lost out man big time.
    It has been a huge learning experience for me also,
    I ended up breaking even on my last 2 in buffalo but have another one im considering luquiidating at the moment for around half what it owes me.
    I might try your agent next.

Bardon Hope everyhthing else in life is good for you man

kind regards
    luke

Email Me

Participant
    @bardon

Hey Worldchanger,

Thanks for that dont worry about me to much I am more concerned for those that are still trying to get out as it truly is the "death of a thousand cuts" when you are exiting but once you get out your right like I am now.

At the end of the day we aint talking sheep stations with respect-to losses I am looking at it as the most-expensive and effective property investing seminar that I have ever attended shame I cant offset the cost of it.

I heard that Seth turned out to be a crook as well, DASA seem to be  the only ones that didn't stitch anyone up other than extortionit repair prices.

Kim will sell your property no upfront costs she sold mine and some other aussies and is currently selling two for a guy I know who bought two of of Dan for 80K US she reckons only worth 25 each……he didn't believe her and got a valuation which showed she was spot on….. like he said to me if only he got an appraisal up front rather than buying on a yield that he never got anyway.

I was buying foreclosures of the market at least I didn't overpay. My mistake was having to many rehabs on at one time, my guy going bad on me after Ihad paid him and realising that it would cost me 20k roundtrip including loss of earnings here as I was a contractor then to take time out of work and go out there to sort it out. With no guarantee that the next guy wouldn't go south on me as soon as I jumped on the plane to come back enough was enough it was a hard call to bale as a solution was possible but no regrets that I did. 

There is a lot to be said for touching things, seeing things, hearing things and smelling things (like rats) first hand this unfortunately you cannot do over the Internet or by email.

I take it that god willing no one is buying houses from Dan and James anymore.

Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

Thanks to all for the feedback.

We got appraisals that came up quite well with respect to what we paid. One was actually a lot higher! But you can only get what someone is willing to pay you for them. For those who sold, did you get prices close to the appraisals?
    What are the sales costs?
    We bought through Dan, and had our dealings with Seth, so we have done the full circle though the yields have been OK.
    Cheers
    JJ&Jo

Participant
    @world-changer

Hi John and bardon ,guys

Yes mate I think yr right in regards to the valuations.I think it depends who you use too.

I had a valuation done on one of mine at $45K but on the market its impossible to get this much for it.I have tried for 12+ months

I just had a realtor value it apparently as "realistic sale price in the market"and she says 20K tops.(realistically i would say its worth around 30K)
    So there is so much variation in this market between "valuations" and "actual worth"(as you said the price someone will actually pay is very different)

Bardon it is so true to never underestimate the ability to feel ,touch,push ,sort things physically in  investing.

John,
    Seth came good for you in the end??
    I know of other people who still dont have their up front deposits back from him, from june 06.
    When you add up all yr fees etc to get the houses mortgaged are you breaking even?
    When i did the figures on getting mortgages for some of my wny deals it worked out at a loss. Interested in yr findings after the fact.

Regards guys

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.