All Topics / Help Needed! / Vacant land next to railway line

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of FrohikeFrohike
    @frohike

While searching on the web for a property in Brisbane, I found a vacant block of land located in a growth suburb just minutes from the bay. As you can imagine, I was extremely interested and excited, and proceeded to investigate a little further.

To my dismay, I learned that the land was located right next to an electric suburban railway line (single line). The land is also situated in an existing battleaxe with the easement running over the front of the land, servicing 2 properties.

The existing trees and shrubs are set against a 2 metre high wooden fence on the back boundary, but doesn't really do a good job in shielding the noise and ugly powerlines from the railway. The fence isn't really high enough and the trees aren't yet dense enough, lacking foliage and coverage.

I know the area is going to explode in population over the next few years, and my concern is that the existing railway will be expanded to two lines (or more), creating extra noise, vibrations, and electromagnetic radiation from the powerlines.

Close to a hospital and other amenities, the land is bigger than most other blocks in the suburb, and is close to the esplanade. It is also elevated on a 15 degree incline.

Do you think this will be a good buy?

If I decide to go ahead with the purchase and build a home on it, what are some of the measures I can put in place to reduce the noise and vibrations, and also to hide the powelines from sight and from electro magnetic radiation?

If it were to be rented, will such a property negatively affect rental income?

All your comments are welcome! Thanks.

Frohike

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Hey Frohike,

How does the cost compare with similar blocks in the suburb? If you have access to a service like RPData or the like you could check land value against similar sized developed blocks if there aren't any vacant in the area. I would also give the council a call and see if there are any plans in place for modifications to the rail line.

You say the block is on a 15 degree incline. I assume the slope is toward the street rather than the railway line but this also makes me feel like site works would be costly in leveling the land for building.

Have you been at the site while the trains are passing? Can passengers (I'm assuming it's light rail) see into the block? And what is the noise level like? Whenever I'm on the train and am passing people's back yards and windows I always think to myself 'Geez, I hope they're paying low rent'. I don't know how it affects rent but I can't imagine it would be good. Maybe a call to a couple agents in the area and get their opinion?

If you get serious about buying, maybe have a look on RPData or Google Earth and see if there are any other developments with a house built at the back of the block near the line. If there are you could research them and see what kind of impact the line is having rent and value wise. Maybe send a letter or drop over for a chat if it's convenient.

Good luck in your investigations. This is certainly a case where some creative due diligence will be absolutely necessary.

Cheers,
    Art

Profile photo of FrohikeFrohike
    @frohike

Hi Art, thanks for that. You've provided some really good points for me to act on. This property has been on the market for some time now and there could be something else buyers didn't like about other than the obvious things.

Profile photo of mollymonstamollymonsta
    @mollymonsta

Hi Frohike

The one thing i can help you with is sound proofing a house if you decide to go ahead. I work in the sales side of the building industry and can point you in the right direction with products that can help.
    Double glazed windows will help with noise as will soundscreen batts in walls and cielings. Different types of cladding on the outside of a house like rendered styrene or csr hebal power panel. If you wanted to know more about any of these products feel free to contact me.

good hunting

Profile photo of FrohikeFrohike
    @frohike

Hi mollymonsta, I'm keen to learn more more about the sound proofing products. Do you have a website where I can see the details of the products?

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

No worries Frohike,

While it's true that properties like this may have sat for a long time because they're duds, it may also be true that they sit for a long time because people can't be bothered finding a worthwhile angle for them. I'm not saying that this particular property is going to be a winner for you, just that it's often worth having a poke around to see if you can't find some lusture under the dirt.

All the best,
    Art

Profile photo of mollymonstamollymonsta
    @mollymonsta

G'day again

DOUBLE GLAZING- Any window manufacturer should be able to tell you all about double glazing. I dont have the web sites handy but should not be to hard to find. Pilkington glass have a booklet out on all the performance data of different types of glass and glazing in laymens terms  and i believe it is also on there web site.

INSULATION- CSR BRADFORD make insulaation batts called "soundscreen  batts" which not only help with noise reduction but insulate your home as well. They used to be called rockwool batts.

EXTERNAL CLADDINGS- CSR HEBAL make hebal power panel but there web site is'nt very user freindly. koolwall or masterwall are companys that make styrene based products and another is called quick and tuff.

I am based in northern victoria so depending on which part of the world you are in i may be able to point  you in the right direction of a building supply company who can tell you all about any of these products

good hunting

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Once had the challenge of finding a tenant for a property beside the railway station and beside the railway line.
    Advertised it as a great home for " train freaks ", set the rent high, and bingo – had my pick of 2 good applications. The better applicant had worked for the railways for 40 years, still did,  and loved the sound. You could advertise home for rent by billboard facing the passing trains.
    They're out there.
    good luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003

I dont think styrophone walls would block noise, best to use concret tilt slabs, or block walls filled (costly), or hebal is propably the quickest and cheapest option.  But being out at the bay, they wont get as many trains, get a schedule and see how many go past and till what time.  I live a train line and dont mind.  My neighbours p155 me off more than the trains do, screaming kids, heap of junk car next door.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.