All Topics / Help Needed! / Besser Block ~ Finishing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Genesis01Genesis01
    @genesis01

Morning all;

We are considering purchasing a property constructed from Besser Blocks.

The internal wall are unfinished, simply being painted Besser Block.

We are considering plastering the walls (rather than Gyprock), it is a 'Spanish' style house so a slightly rough finish would suit the character of the house.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Any other suggestions?

Regards

Daryl

Profile photo of raddlesraddles
    @raddles

Hi there

we are considering similar options for a 2 unit besser block unit we have
    we have been recommended to use a process which is a type of rendering – dry fill rendering – which has been affectively applied to one of the other units in the block
    the option finishes can be smooth or like a sandpaper feel
    not sure if that is of any use
    thanks
    @raddles

HI there

I forgot to mention that the work is performed by a solid fill plasterer
    thanks
    Profile photo of Genesis01Genesis01
    @genesis01

Thanks Raddles,

what is Dry Fill Rendering,
    what sort of costs are they quoting you?

Regards
    Daryl

@raddles

Hi there

we are still investigating the costs – but a painter friend recommended the process to us
    I am not sure if I have got the terminology right – but we are rendering in such a way that we are obscuring the cement joining lines and so it looks a bit like plastering but with a rougher finish – we did see examples of the proposed finish in Bunnings – the unit in the block below us has been rendered with the process and looks very effective.
    I'd imagine the costs will depend upon where you are – for example we noticed that building costs were a lot more in Canberra than in QLD – I would imagine it would also be dependant upon how much of the building needs to be done with the process – in our case – it is only a lounge dining area that we are getting done
    So it may be worth your getting some quotes from a solid fill plasterer fin your area or the work you need to get done
    thanks 
    Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

I had besser blocks plastered & it was a nightmare. water penetrates & cracking occurs. My advice is to glue fibro to the blocks then do whatever. It will be quicker, cheaper & better.

@raddles

Hi there

just wondering how the water penetrates – did you plaster the outside of the property? – as I note that we are planning to do the inside of the property once no longer tenanted
    thanks
    Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

plaster the outside? maybe that would make sense if the inside was a swimming pool……

in a drought the ground moves and cracks appear in blocks. this allows water in. if you have plaster, it soaks up water like a sponge. fibro adds protection against both water and visible cracks.

@raddles

Hi there Daryl
    It looks as if where you have your property may affect your choice.
    We don't have the same problems as crashy with a property cracking due to drought as our property is at Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast and there are no water difficulties there.

I would think though if your property is already subject to movement and cracking – even the fibro will crack – so up to you.

thanks

Profile photo of SteddiSteddi
    @steddi

Hello there …………….There is a process involving a splatter offect where a cement / sand / lime / colour mix is sprayed onto these types of  walls. you can vary the size of texture with differnt gun nozzles. Very Sante Fe.  There could be a dust problem but it is not a bad look.  You can hire out this equipment from the right place. You could also grit blast the lot and highlight the joints and then lime wash or do a Burkes backyard and Bag it off with a sand and cement mix,or just glue gyprock to the walls. Glue sandstone facing  blocks to the wall [look on ebay for good deals] Maybe large Brett Whitely pictures.    Cheers Glenn

Profile photo of Genesis01Genesis01
    @genesis01

So basically,

bar waterproofing the outside surafce somehow,
    any finish applied inside will create problems
    when the house moves slightly, causing damage to the
    inside surface/ finish from water!

Regards
    Daryl

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.