All Topics / Forum Frolic / Avoid Open Loops

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of rejoicerejoice
    @rejoice

What are open loops?

Open loops are the constant little reminders that you have in your head of things that you have to do such as: "Take out the trash" or "remember to do the laundry tonight" or "Issue refund to Jose Smith" or "Investigate new PPC writing tips" etc.

An open loop starts every time that you get confronted with a task that requires an action regardless of how small or big the action that is required. The problem is that open loops are like poison for the brain and for productivity. They make you to lose focus and are a huge distraction to getting things done. So, how do you avoid these open loops?

Here is a very simple and effective tip to get open loops off your mind. Whenever you get confronted with a new task that requires your action, do one of two things. If the action takes less than a minute to take care of, then take care of it on the spot. That way this particular issue will never be on your mind again.

If you cannot take care of the item immediately, then write it down on a list. The process of writing it down removes this item from your mind because your mind will no longer have to remember it. You know that you have a list that you can return to later. So, even though you have not dealt with this item on the spot, you have removed it from your mind which prevents the endless open loops and allows you to get back to work and get things done.

If you follow this simple trick, you should see your productivity soar as you constantly stay on task, remain focused, and get things done.

Get 7 Free Lessons from the Teachers of "The Secret"
    http://rejoice.theofficialsecretseminar.com

Get 7 Free Lessons from the Teachers of “The Secret”

http://rejoice.theofficialsecretseminar.com

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

I personally like to live with open loops. If i have somethin in my mind i am consciously or unconsciously thinking about it, this gives me more ideas (even when i am doing/ focussin on other stuff) and in many cases ideas to deal with the situation or finish the task in a much effective way. Writing the thing just removes my tension as you correctly said that you mind only remembers that you have made a note of it somewhere and it stops worrying. In this situation when you are done with your current task and have a look at the note pad i tend to follow the normal protocall to accompalish the task (ie without using or thinkin of a better way or a new way of accompalishing the task). Well thats how i feel… open to comments??

Profile photo of rejoicerejoice
    @rejoice

Are you saying you stop thinking when completing tasks you have written down?

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

this is what you articulated:

The process of writing it down removes this item from your mind because your mind will no longer have to remember it. You know that you have a list that you can return to later. So, even though you have not dealt with this item on the spot, you have removed it from your mind which prevents the endless open loops and allows you to get back to work and get things done.

@rejoice

Precisely! It allows you to concentrate on the task at hand and then move on to the next and so forth. Open loops, having your phone on in a meeting, having outlook popup in the corner letting you know you have another email… these are all distractions that reduce productivity. People try to do too many things at any one time instead of prioritising and putting 100% into the task at hand, which is far more productive as you may then focus your energy and creativity.

Profile photo of GregandJoanneGregandJoanne
    @gregandjoanne

I agree 100% with rejoice….

@rejoice

Cheers! It's just my opinion and something that works wonders for me… If anyone has another point of view, please do share as this is an open forum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.