All Topics / Help Needed! / Annoying whiney pesky tenant..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Profile photo of PsychiatristPsychiatrist
    @psychiatrist

My tenant is a whinger you know the type. A big fat whinger!

Get me a new kitchen… so i fork out $10,000 and there you go! Stainless steel appliances included.
    Gee I dont like the palm trees, so what did she do.. "Council please cut them down" – Ok 8 of my darling palms are gone or will be.

So now I asked after 1 and a half years I asked for a rent increase, she is costing me money!

Plus rates go up, insurance, intrest etc you know it.. so from $180 to $199..

I get a catty letter saying before she pays one cent more i must now bring the house up to "rental bond authority requirements"

Does anyone have a list where I can access these requirements that she never has had a problem with before? (FOR QLD) I dont mind applying to laws one little bit, what I am upset about is that I do everything this whiner wants, and all she does is retaliate when I ask for one measily rent increase. Id like to know the average rental rate for that suburb for a 3bdm house, any ideas?

She has also cut the steel gate in 1/2, broken the front toor and replaced it with an inferior cheap piece of crap, as well as done somthing i dont know how to describe underneath the lovely old QLD'er.

Any ideas what on earth to do? I want to write back with a doozy of a letter~!

Psychiatrist.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

There is no rental bond requirements as far as I know …

Sounds like you should give her notice and find a new tenant.

Why did the council remove the trees?  Were they a danger?  You are the owner not her.  I would be taking the value of them from her bond.

Do you have a property manager?  Sounds like you need one.  They will get you full market rent and act as a go between for you so you don't have to cop this crap.

Cheers,

Profile photo of PsychiatristPsychiatrist
    @psychiatrist

No its private at this stage, though I am seriously considering doing it through a reputable agency. I just looked up the average rental costs for the suburb and they are $200 for a 3 bdm, and as such mines in very good condition. (Not being biased it really is in good condition)

I just looked up about the fire alarms, and they arent req until July 1st so guess what…. on the day before she can have one and not a minute sooner!

Moo ? LOL

Am I bad?

Profile photo of CompleksCompleks
    Participant
    @compleks

Kick her out, for real.
    She's not worth the trouble, there are plenty of good people looking to rent out there.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi pyscho (!) 10k for a new kitchen? And still whingey? Couple of things – with out a doubt, when your lease expires do not offer to renew. Get rid of them as soon as you can, and not a moment later. There are indeed tons of nice families queing up tio rent a nice property.  And the 8 to 11% a property manager will charge you will genuinely save you a heap of heartache and anxiety if they do their job half properly. Get one. Sounds like a nice house, but honestly, it sounds like your tennant will need to move somewhere else before they appreciate what they had. I think that picture of the cow tells us what you're going to do now does'nt it? all the best.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Psychiatrist

What struck me in your first post here was not so much that you have a whinger for a tenant but that she has a real softy for a landlord.

She wanted a new kitchen so you gave her one! Why? And without renegotiating a rental increase at the time? Why?
    You need a good PM straight away so that when you kick her out at the end of her lease they can make sure she pays for :-

the gate she cut in half  (without permission, I assume?).
    the front door that needs to be replaced to the original sort
    whatever it is she did under the house that needs putting back to the original condition

All out of her bond and then some if that's not enough. Also make sure they charge her for any cleaning that needs to be done after she leaves and anything else that needs replacing/repairing above normal wear and tear for the period of her occupancy.

Ring up the council ASAP and find out why they are going to cut down the 8 palm. You might like to point out to them that you are the owner and not she, so unless it's for safety reasons (and even get that checked out) YOU THE OWNER do not want them cut down.

Seriously you need a PM. This is obviouly not your thing. I don't mean to insult you. I have the same problem so I have a PM.

Good luck
    Elka

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

I would just give her a rent increase form with a letter stating "either accept it or leave". Infact, I would have negotiated an extra $20 per week for the new kitchen before even a cent was put into the house, as well as signing a fixed term lease for an additional year, you need to use tenants demands as a negotiation tool to increase rent. As for the palm trees, too bad! They were there when she inspected the house.

Where you stand at the moment, just put the ball in her court don't ask! The rent IS GOING UP IN A MONTH! If you do not pay the new rent, you will be in rent arrears, you have a month to move out if you don't like the increase! It's as simple as that!!!

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Get a Property Manager TOMORROW, but suss them out as to how they would handle this Tenant situation. They will know the current market rent for your type of property. When you find the right one, give them your instructions;

Issue a notice to the Tenant that you will increase the rent to current market level as of the minimum notice you have to give in writing, and inform the Tenant that all unauthorised changes must be returned to the condition they were in by a certain date; in line with the rent increase would be adviseable; again in writing.

This will probably cause the Tenant to want to leave, no doubt break the lease I'm tipping, and you can warn them that if they are considering this then you will report them to the National Tenancy Database if they do break the lease, and they will be still liable for rent in arrears and lose their Bond.

Make no mistake; this could get ugly. If the Tenant even looks like staying on but causing trouble, get the P.M to issue a vacation notice immediately. You never muck around with a Tenant who looks like causing trouble.

Of course; you will only do this AFTER you have taken out a Landlord's Insurance policy if you don't already have one, as the Tenant may want to leave with a parting shot; malicious damage. This is covered by insurance, and the Tenant will be blacklisted on the Database. They must be informed of this so it may deter them from destroying your property and their future rent chances.

Profile photo of BreakEvenBreakEven
    Participant
    @breakeven

Wow….!!!

I agree that you need a Property Manager, this sounds like it isnt your game.  Property investing is a business, and needs to be treated as such (within reason).  That is not to say that you cannot be a great investor, but you definately need someone to deal with the rough side of things.

Property investment should not be a financial or emotional strain. 

Warn her that if those trees are touched, there will be legal ramifications and loss of bond (if there is any bond left with this lady).  The place has a nice new kitchen, at least you should get a better rental now, so raise it asap….

Raise the rent, GET HER OUT….!!!  Dont offer her a renewl.
    As said by others – get a property Manager and Landlords Insurance first….

@psychiatrist

Thanks for your support everyone. Her contract is well and truly expired and now its just month to month so I can kick her to the curb if she becomes too much to deal with. I will make urgent calls tomorrow about landlord insurance, i dont have that yet… whoops, i have house insurance…

I will also call a few PMs and see what their rates are and what they can get for the property etc.

Cheers psychiatrist x

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

Yep the property manager is the way to go, I have had a couple of tenants and hardly a whinge and when they do its not to me anyway.  The property manager often says it is time to up the rent and I just let her handle it, they know all the laws etc so it is easy for them to deal with the tenant also it removes the emotion.

However you do have to find a good one as many are a little lazy and want to take the easy way.  For example my first tenant was always a bit late with the rent but always came up with the cash.  The manager suggested to turf him out at the end of the lease to find someone more regular.  I asked well how much trouble this is and she complained she had to send a reminder letter, I said well your doing a great job keep sending the letters out and keep the tennant.   I mean appart from being a week behind every now and then they were no trouble so why kick them out.  I figure sending a letter here and there was what I was paying her to do.

@psychiatrist

Yes I know what you mean about that, they get paid to manage property not sit on their bums.. lol

Profile photo of EtceteraEtcetera
    @etcetera

Hi Psychiatrist,

A PM is definately the way to go. I agree that tenant insurance is also a must. Check out the policy as much as you check out the PM, though. A lot of policies won't cover you for rent if the tenant is not up to date & IN ADVANCE at the commencement of the policy. Check what they cover for malicious damage. It can be really hard to prove! Is there an excess? What rent period do they cover if the tenant defaults? ie. 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks. Keep your eyes open! Get 3 quotes (Terri Sheer & MGA Insurance are both good from my experience).

And as everyone else has said, get her out ASAP. The sooner you can get her out, the less time she has to do any real damage. If you (or your PM) are allowed under the lease, do an inspection 2 or 3 weeks before she moves out (ie. has enough time lapsed since the last one?).

Also, some PMs are trained & some aren't. See what qualifications your prospective PM holds & ask for references from some of their larger clients. Chances are that if they have some larger clients, these people won't put up with much mucking around. Most landlords who are happy with the service they receive are happy to speak to a prospective client. Remember to ask how long they've known the PM, & whether they're related, etc.

Good luck. The more you know about your rights the better your chances will be.

Have a great day!

E.

Profile photo of rejoicerejoice
    @rejoice

Now that's a hell tenant!

Participant
    @breakeven

Sounds like the Property Manager had their eyes on another finders fee.  Ive had PMs who always seem so keen to get me a new tenant (and first weeks rent of course)…. 

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Are you debating about whether to kick the tenant out first or sign up a PM?

If you sign up a PM they will kick the tenant out, and if all damage not repaid, will list the tenant on their database which is a good thing for all other PMs out there.  Its also a good stick to ensure that the tenant does pay up.

Regards,

Participant
    @breakeven

I think the general concensus is: 

Get a PM immediately and have them boot this tenant…….

????

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Suggest you talk to at least 3 PMs asking them how they would handle this situation. Insist the chosen one write to you with their plan. Negotiate a good rate but leave enough meat on the bone for them so you are a valued customer. Let them do it for you.
    good luck
    cheers
    thecrest
    (back after a long absence)

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@psychiatrist

In the area there are 2 that returned my calls the other one… zippo

So one of the PMs I spoke to was snappy sounding, yet they have lower rates than real estate 3. RE 3s rates are at 8% but they followed me up, phoned, emailed and are working for it. I just hope it keeps on. I am meeting them today :-)

Thing is it will cost me a bucket on their colsts grr

Are there any other costs involved with a PM?

@psychiatrist

Guess what I got today :-)

And tenant didnt like it one bit!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.