All Topics / Value Adding / Small Bathroom Reno

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of grazy81grazy81
    @grazy81
    Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Hey grazy, want to try your post again?

Art

Profile photo of grazy81grazy81
    @grazy81

Hmm hope it works this time, Right i origionally wrote that i have recentl;y bought a one bed flat that i'll prob be updating the kitchen and bathroom i have a few ideas for the kitchen however i'm not so sure on the bathroom so if nay ones got any good i deas for this or any other tips that could add value to a one bed flat i would much appreciate this

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Yep, that one worked.

Without seeing the space it's a bit hard to offer suggestions but I guess the biggest thing to think about is the plumbing (ie. don't touch it!). The minute you start moving showers and basins your costs go through the roof.

My suggestions would be to check out a couple new vanity cabinets from big hardware barns, reno stores and auction houses. If the basin is in good condition but the vanity is clapped out it's not too expensive to just slide a new vanity in around the basin. You can also get some decent new taps and that lifts a bathroom more than you would think. Likewise, new showerhead and taps work wonders in the WC.

Cheers,
    Art

Profile photo of PsychiatristPsychiatrist
    @psychiatrist

Bunnings has great affordable produts for that kind of reno.

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hey Grazy,
    Simple things can lift the bathroom and change the look real quick as Art said a new vanity, new splachback tiles, bigger mirror a lick of paint, new taps etc.. all these are a very inexpensive way to update a bathroom without getting into any demo work.
    Just use light colours give the sense of space and freshness.

Luke

[email protected]
    "Family Builder with Family Morals"

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

My 2c worth;

I did a reno on our last purchase and in the bathroom we kept the hand-basin and bath with original taps and spouts, but replaced everything else.

I added;
    1. new shutter blind ($15 approx)
    2. re-tiled shower/bath area ($100 approx)
    3. new IXL-tastic (included new wiring for this) ($200 approx)
    4. new floor tiles ($60 approx)
    5. new shower curtain. ($10 approx)
    6. re-painted whole room ($70 approx)
    7. new shower rose. ($20 approx – period style)
    8. new mirror over hand-basin. ($80 approx)

Total cost was less than $600 dollars. I have done other bathroom renos that were more expensive, but this illustrates just how inexpensive it can be done.

The only work not done by me was the electrical work. I removed all the existing tiles and laid new ones, did all the painting, installed the mirror and blind. It looked great.

Tiling is surprisingly cheap and easy to do, and has a BIG impact on the look of the room. You need a good tile cutter and angle grinder for this work.

Also; use the correct paint for wet areas – use good stuff.

Profile photo of gafamagafama
    @gafama

New tiling will make the biggest difference – you can do a lot with a simple white tile with one wall of feature or a vertical strip of nice features in a contrast (but neutral) colour. 

Can look really great and add $$$$ to the value.  Also, taps – try the auction houses.  You can get vanities and taps there.  Also nice toilet seat (not the plastic rubbish) – often looks more expensive.

Personally, I'd do away with show curtains – very old hat.

Good luck

Profile photo of Easy Beach ShowerEasy Beach Shower
    @easy-beach-shower

I hope this info can help you with ideas to get added value for your property.

http://www.plumbingtips.com.au

William

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.