All Topics / Help Needed! / Early Access

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of possumpalpossumpal
    @possumpal

Hi, i am about to sign on a property but was just wondering if there is anyway of gaining access before settlement to do a few little jobs, re grouting etc, so its ready to rent come settlement. Is this possible or do i have to wait until settlement.
    Thanks

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Last house we bought we wanted access to do some work. Our solicitor told us to ask real estate agent to ask vendor to sign a letter allowing us to get in to do “xxxxxxxx”.

Solicitor said that generally (in her experience) once solicitors get involved, the answer is usually NO. We took her advice, got a letter from the vendor and got in early. We asked vendor to call in to see what we were doing. Vendor did so, and gave us verbal permission to do whatever else we wanted to, which we did.

In our case, we pulled out the bathroom and an internal wall, but would not have gone that far without the permission of the vendor. Even so, I was a bit nervous about how much money we were spending on a house that had not yet settled.

Wylie

Profile photo of jjlylejjlyle
    @jjlyle

We just signed a contract for a house and went through the solicitors to request early access to construct fences. We received a definite NO even though the contract is now unconditional. Makes me wonder if we had approached the agent instead of the solicitor, the outcome might have been different.

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Wylie,

Like you we went through our real estate agent to ask vendor if we could do a few things like pull down a wall and rip out a bathroom, vendor said yes through agent. Agent said that most vendor solicitors would get vendor to say no for various reasons.

We have now settled and sent vendor a gift for allowing us early entry to get major things done and now will only need to do minor stuff before we flick it.

Cheers

Jenny1

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

We bought a unit a few years ago which we wanted early access to for the same reasons as possumpal.
    We included in our 'conditions' on our offer early access on XYZ date. The vendor said yes and away we went.

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

I agree with LA Aussie. If you want early access, its best to put it in the offer conditions. If the vendor agrees to the offer, he/she agrees to the request for early access as well.
    I do not commit to large spending before settlement (definitely not before the purchase is unconditional) but put the condition of early access to get the trades in for measure & quotes, etc. That way you have all your trades lined up straight after settlement.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.