Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of possumpalpossumpal
    @possumpal

Hi,
    i recently rented out my flat, and have been told that i have to continue to pay the water bill because my flat is in a block of six that only has one water meter. The totally volume of water used is just divided by the 6 flats with each paying the same amount. I have been told that i can’t make the tennats pay because i can’t prove exactly how mush they use. Just wondering if this sounds normal?
    Thanks

Profile photo of 99chris9999chris99
    Participant
    @99chris99

thats correct. I found out the other way, when I was the tenant. I was always under the impression that landlord always paid for water, until i was given a water bill and was told that because each unit had its own meter we paid our own water.
    So yes, its true!

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

In Victoria the landlord pays for the water rates and the tenant only pays the excess water component. I would think the excess water component would be impossible to measure in this situation.
    I would think that the body corporate would have to get permission from the water company if it wanted to install seperate meters.
    As the meter reader would have to read each individual meter.
    I know of a strata title lot of units that has one main meter and then has individual meters for each unit.

Brett Duxbury
    Duckster Financial Services
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ducksterfinancial.com

Comments are of a general nature and may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of blondie2blondie2
    Participant
    @blondie2

Hi,
    Water charging rules vary from state to state.
    I used to live in a unit in Vic and the block only had one meter so the total water usage was divided up between the owners.
    We decided to get individual meters fitted to each unit so then each unit paid for what they used.
    Later I decided to rent out the unit and then, as an owner, had to pay for Water service, Sewerage service, and Drainage charge. There was also a yearly Parks charge. Fair enough.However, as there are individual meters the tenants pay for what water is used by them.
    However, in Qld., quoting ” If more than 116kl of water is used in a four (4) month period, the tenant will be charged the extra amount at the current counci rate.” I cannot see why an owner has to pay for the water that a tenant uses up to that amount as it has an individual meter. Why not also pay for their electricity or gas up to a certain quantity? Maybe I should not have said that, it may give someone ideas.!!!! I hope that was not too long winded.

blondie2

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Blondie  you made me over your commentsabout  payments of electricity and gas by the landfolk  (I say landfolk cos it sounds wierd  calling myself landlord and landlady reminds me of Mrs Roper if anyone is old enough to recall Man about the House)

The water situation is certainly going to become interesting when it comes to who pays. As it is incluced in my rates notice I have always paid. But there are rumours (in Qld) that water may triple in price. I'm not sure I'm wanting to foot the bill for tennants using water willy nilly just cos they dont have to pay for it.

Profile photo of armsarms
    Participant
    @arms

[. However, in Qld., quoting " If more than 116kl of water is used in a four (4) month period, the tenant will be charged the extra amount at the current counci rate." I cannot see why an owner has to pay for the water that a tenant uses up to that amount as it has an individual meter. Why not also pay for their electricity or gas up to a certain quantity? Maybe I should not have said that, it may give someone ideas.!!!! I hope that was not too long winded. blondie2[/quote]

I have just bought another ip and will be including in the rental agreement that the tenent is responsible for ALL utilities used on the premises ,the pm said that i couldnt do that and i informed her that if she wanted to continue to collect a management fee she will do as i tell her  ,she agreed to do it , ahh the smell of money does funny things to people

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.