All Topics / General Property / Mortgage Broker ..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of TassTass
    Participant
    @tass

Hello

I had a firm call me up ( mortgage broker)
    Saying they would be able to find me a cheaper loan than the one I have and also repay it quicker etc…
    They said they just want an hour of my time and its free.
    Has anyone out there been through this already ?
    I am a bit suspicious I guess cos they dont know what interest I am paying now etc.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Tass [biggrin]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Tass. What is the name of the business/company? It is not often that you would find (due to industry regulation) private people approached by a mainstream lender or broker, and even if so, it would be very unprofessional and misleading to make a blanket generalisation that they could save you money without knowing your loan. Imagine if someone had a fixed rate loan with anyone of a year or so ago? Impossible. Or something like a Bankwest Lite, ING Mortgage Simplifier, or Wizard Clear value Loan now,.? Sure there is cheaper, but not enough to make that much difference when you look at comparison rates, fees etc. Likely to be an organisation promoting a ‘you pay us this, and we will show you a stragegy to pay of your loan quicker’. A half good broker will show you how for nothing, which will be using direct salary crediting, and making any other extra repayments while you can, or perhaps instead suggesting weekly or fortnitely payments instead of monthly – Need discipline for one way, and common sense for the other. Nothing new that you need to pay someone to tell you. Then again, if they give you a bit more solid info, and don’t put pressure on you (unlikely) it is up to you if you have an hour to kill or not. Bear in mind, if you were approached via a business phone number (if you own one!) it is more likely to be just a genuine canvass or cold call. keep us posted.[strum]

Profile photo of TassTass
    Participant
    @tass

Thanks v8ghia for your input,
    I cant even remember the name of the company but they are calling back next week ….
    So I will try and get some information out of them before I agree to a home visit….

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Tass . Check with your existing bank if you will be charged a fee for refinancing your mortgage away from them.
    Ask the broker what fees the lender is going to charge you to set up a loan. Are the establishment fees deferred or upfront. What time frame is there for the deferred fees to not be charged if you break the loan.
    Is the broker a member of the MFAA, COSL (odbudsman) and do they have professional indemnity insurance will the broker disclose to you what commissions he/she will get paid from the lenders. Tell your existing bank you want to know what it will cost to refinance away from them as a mortgage broker just rang you up and ask the mortgage broker what is the best interest rate and is it an introductory interest rate for one year or two years or three years. Ask what monthly bank fees are you going to pay. Ask the broker is he/she going to offer you an offset account and ask them how it works.

Brett Duxbury
    Duckster Financial Services
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ducksterfinancial.com

Comments are of a general nature and may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Just watch out for them charging you for the privilage of ripping you off.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TassTass
    Participant
    @tass

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
    I have decided not to talk with this company .
    I think they will just talk to me about all the positives and won’t give me the whole picture (true facts) Especially in ways they will benefit financially.

I love being able to use this site to educate myself further….and get advice from more knowledgable people than myself…

Thanks Tass [exhappy]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Good move.  Only the bottom feeders use call centres to cold call people like that. 

If you want to know if you can get a cheaper rate just call a decent broker.    If you use one from here then you can post the results here if you are not happy!  All of us value our reputations too much to try to take advantage.

Make sure that you factor in any costs to change a loan before you make a decision as it often isn't worth the cost and effort to save a fraction of a %.

All the best,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.