All Topics / General Property / borrow money from ppl

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of aoao
    Participant
    @ao

hi all

i tried to borrow some money from relatives and friends with a promised return of 20% pa and they agreed. just want to clarify a few points:
    1) is it legal to borrow money with a promise of high interest payment? (just in case people want to lend me millions [biggrin])

2) some ppl want to put evrything in writing. do i need to engage a solicitor to do this? or maybe a Justice of Peace will do the job?

any feedback appreciated,
    ao

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi ao,
    I do not think its illegal to offer high rate of return as long as you can pay the interest and principal. In fact I offer slightly better returns myself.
    With respect to the documentation you could do both ways – you could complete a Statutory Declaration and get it signed by a JP or do a proper loan agreement through a solicitor.
    Just out of curiosity – are you offering any security?
    Good luck.

cheers,
    Sanjiv Gupta

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

A JP is just witnessing signatures. Which may not amount to much if your contract is fully of holes. (But you will be borrowing their money, so having a contract full of holes is their problem.)

A contract need not be in writing to be enforceable. But it is a good idea to avoid disputes later on. You will need to cover term, security, interest rates etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of byronentbyronent
    Participant
    @byronent

If you are offering good security, let me know the deals, my mates and I are always into lending money with good returns.

But solicitors are the only way to go, protect both parties with a contract and security documentation.

We never lend unsecured. NEVER!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.