All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting out to a friend?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

Just had a thought that I havent had time to crunch but Im sure someone may have already pondered or tried it. If I bought a PPOR to live in with a defacto or friend would it work in my favour to pay the mortgage out of my pocket but through their bank account to be declared as rent for negative gearing purposes?

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

if you do, you will have to pay capital gains tax upon the sale (an equal percentage proportion to that rented, ie if you rented out 50% then you will be up for CGT on 50% of the profit).

For example
    Total purchase price $300000
    interest @ 8% interest only = $24K per annum
    If you leased out 50% then 12K would be tax deductabile (plus 50% of all other costs like depreciation)

BUT

if it was valued at $400000 at point of sale then your gain would be $100000, thus your gain as PPOR and therefore CGT exempt is only $50K, the other 50K is up for CGT. The actual amount of CGT would be dependant on your actual income and whether you held the property for more than 12months.

It would be worthwhile seeking your accountants advice as the short term benefits may come at the cost of a long term gain.
    Hope that helps

Cheers
    Tammy

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

What you could do is live in the property initially, then your friend could rent it from you. You can then claim the expenses against your income, ie negative gear, and you may be able to keep it CGT free under s118-145 of the Income Tax Assessment Act.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.