All Topics / Help Needed! / company,trusts or private buying?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of maxtaylormaxtaylor
    @maxtaylor

I’m interested to know whats the best avenue/structure for purchasing property for investment and why,(also applicable costs). At the present what i have acquired is just in my personal name and I’m in need of some education as to the best avenues and reasons for structuring such purchases with protection. I’m in the process of multiplying by division and want to continue growing my portfolio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[wacko]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Each person has a different reason for buying in a separate entity whether it be asset protection or tax planning.

There is no right or wrong answer as these structures are taylored to meet your requirements.

More information would be need to provide a justified answer.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    New Shared Equity scheme has arrived – Email us for details.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Hi Max! It certainly does depend on your particular circumstances but I can think of 4 main issues that may sway your decision:

1) FHOG – can only be obtained if owned personally/joint (Trusts and Companies ineligible) – personally I don’t think this should be a primary consideration and is generally given much more significance than it deserves

2) Income tax payable on profits/losses of investment property
    a. if positively geared
    * owning personally/jointly – inflexible but can have lower income spouse owning majority as joint tenants to minimise tax
    * owning in a Trust allows you to direct profits most tax effectively year by year (eg to a spouse not earning as much income)
    * owning in a Company – don’t know a lot about this – but may be advantageous in terms of paying company tax
    b. if negatively geared
    * owning personally/jointly – inflexible but can have higher income spouse owning majority as joint tenants to take full advantage of tax benefits of negative gearing – but beware if owning for long term that in time the property will almost certainly become positively geared and then that same person has to pay tax on the profits at the highest marginal rate
    * owning in a Trust – can’t distribute losses to take advantage of negative gearing benefits (must hold to offset against future earnings) but may be worthwhile if the Trust has other positively geared assets
    * owning in a company – no benefits that I’m aware of

3) Capital Gains Tax concession
    * owning personally/jointly – receive it
    * owning in a Trust – beneficiaries to whom the capital gain is distributed receive the concession if they’re eligible (ie if beneficiary is an individual they receive it, but a company who’s a beneficiary loses it)
    * owning in a company – lose it – main reason why this is rarely done

4) Asset protection
    * owning personally/jointly – the property is vulnerable to liabilities resulting from the actions of the individuals owning the property
    * owning via Trust or company – precluding fraud and some other circumstances, the property is generally only vulnerable to liabilities resulting from other activities of the Trust or company, so if, for example, the Trust owns a property but doesn’t engage in any legally risky activities such as running a business, then the property would usually be pretty safe from litigation

In the above, I’m assuming the Trust has only individuals as beneficiaries. But this picture is much more complicated by the fact that you can have hybrid trusts (where assets are owned in a different proportion than that in which income is distributed) and that companies can be beneficiaries of trusts and trusts can be shareholders in companies etc. There are virtually an infinite variety of ways to structure and you really need somebody who knows this area very well. (I’m happy to make a recommendation if you contact me personally.)

I am NOT an accountant or lawyer, only an amateur who’s tried to take good notes in seminars [specs] Generally, my “big picture” understanding is that if you’re a personal investor/developer (ie without employees), it’s usually best to hold your property in some kind of Trust for taxation benefits, and use insurances, debt, wills and other measures to protect the assets.

Again – I’m an amateur and this is NOT advice, just me sharing my understanding of the broad issues [whistle]

Tracey Bryan
    Brisbane

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Generally I would suggest people look at a trust to buy investment properties.

Downsides are:
    – Maybe a bit more in land tax
    – Discretionary Trusts cannot distribute losses, so no negative gearing benefits

But there may be a way around the negative gearing aspect by using a hybrid Discretionary Trust and borrowing to buy the units in the trust. There is a risk the ATO could disallow the interest on this as they are investigating HDTs, but I think they are still worth looking at as they can revert to a normal discretionary trust.

Owning a investment in a company is generally not a good idea. This is because companies do not get the 50% CGT discount that is available to individuals and Trusts. Shares in the property are also an asset and could be at risk if you are sued.

Individually owned assets are also at risk. Trust assets are generally safe from creditors.

Trusts can also offer huge tax savings. Early on this may not be aparent, but later on they can really save you, eg. imagine if you were sitting on a $1mil captial gain 10 years down the track.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of maxtaylormaxtaylor
    @maxtaylor

Thanks heaps for the replies guys. I’ve been a bit tied up since posting that question but it has given me much to think about? At present I’ m tied into a partnership and while we have done some small development and intend to continue moving forward, it would certainly be advantageous knowing how? This has certainly got the ball rolling. Thanks again.

Profile photo of MarcussMarcuss
    @marcuss

I have been reading the blurb on Steve McKnight’s “Wealth Guardian” package and was wondering if it covers the topic of trusts, discretionary trusts, hybrid discretionary trusts and where to use which structure. Can somebody please comment?

Regards
    Marcuss

Profile photo of byronentbyronent
    Participant
    @byronent

I use the following

Corporate trustee being a Pty Ltd company that you are the director of.

Family or Discretionary Trust

Beneficiaries would be you , your kids and another company that you are also director of.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.