All Topics / Help Needed! / Corner Block – good or bad for development

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of crusaidercrusaider
    Participant
    @crusaider

I am still to deep my little toe into property development. I am at the level of searching for a suitable sites. What are pros and cons of having a corrner block for a small development like two townhouses or units?.

Two separate driveways springs to mind but I think I lose valuable land which I could squeeze another bedroom ……..[cowboy2]

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Cruisader

Let me say firstly, i have never done a development project and am certaintly not the full bottle on the pros and cons.

When i bought my current PPOR which is on a corner block with ocean views from all rooms of my home, it had approval for a second storey extension. My home faces to the ocean, which is great, but there is a vacant block on the opposite corner which i feared that should it be developed i may lose my views.

The local shire building inspector informed us that since there is no neighbours within 15 meters from us, we could build a second storey with balcony because we were not overlooking neighbours and imposing on their privacy.

The corner block opposite us, if they were to build 2 storey would be restricted to building a balcony or verandah out to the front of their block only. They would be unable to build a balcony or verandah on the side of their home, as they would be imposing on the privacy of their neighbours beside them. The local building rules would also only allow certain size windows on the neighbours side, if they were looking down on to someone elses windows.

Hopefully i have not confused you, but depending on what you want to build, your location and local building rules, there may be some great benefits from developing corner blocks. As you said the most obvious, is the dual access.

Regards

Wayne

“What is the lap record, and which way do i go?”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.